Tech help - recommend a broadband router.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Hello all.

I have a client who was using a Draytek Vigor 2710n broadband router, I found it to be a bit of dog to set up and had no end of hardware issues with it, Thankfully an electrical storm has fried it.

I want to recommend a replacement, something that some folks here might be able to help with. Specifically I'm looking for units that people have found easy to set up and that have proven to be reliable. I was thinking about something from the Netgear range but any recommendations would be appreciated.

This is to connect to a BT ADSL line, should provide a good WiFi signal and have at least four ethernet ports.

Additionally it should be able to handle two simultaneous vpn connections and be remotely configurable from off site.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

:)

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
How about a Linksys WRT54G? Have three of them, runs for months without issues. You can change the firmware if you want to, I run and recomend Tomato.

Linksys_WRT54G_V1.jpg

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Draytek make great products. The Draytek 2830N and its predecessor are probably the most commonly used SME routers full stop. If Draytek wore a Cisco badge it would add a zero to its cost.

Seriously if you want to do your customer a favour then overcome your set up anxiety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I've been using a ASUS RT-AC68U for quite a while now and it's an excellent router, I agree though that the Draytek's are great too...

cave_dweller

Nomad
Apr 9, 2010
Vale of Glamorgan
Based on the thread title I was about to recommend Draytek too. We've had two (lost the first in a storm, but lasted 5 years). I particularly like the configuration options that allow me to slow the kids' internet connection to a crawl at "10 to bed time" and turn it off completely at "1 minute past bed time"!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"... then overcome your set up anxiety...."

Not so much the setting up, but the three units we had to go through before we were supplied with working one, maybe that was a glitch, but the support was less then stellar, but then again maybe all the others have poor support too.

The Vigor 2760 is the replacement for the 2710n we were using so maybe we'll give that and your recommendation another look.

Thanks for everyones thoughts, I'll check them all of them out over the weekend.

:)

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I must have supplied several hundred over the last 10 years and I have never had a lemon. Actually I doubt I have sent more that a dozen back under the 2 year warranty.

I don't know the model you are using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...I don't know the model you are using..."

"...I have a client who was using a Draytek Vigor 2710n..."

Actually it was two units that had to be returned, the third worked. What was most irritating about the first unit was that the fault was 'invisible', all the LEDs suggested a line fault and I wasted a day working my way through BT call centres rather then getting on with the job in hand.

Your recommendation of the Draytek 2830N looks like it will be the one.

Thanks all. :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE