Teach me about Wool Blankets

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

v-ness

Oct 9, 2010
on a hill in Scotland
As the title says, I'd like to know more about the difference in Wool blankets.

I'm looking to stock the car with some decent blankets for the coming winter- just in case....:rolleyes:

I've look on ebay etc and there is a huge variety of wool blankets for sale.

Tartan Rugs
British, Polish and Russian Army Blankets
Vintage Wool Blankets

Any one know which ones will be the warmest?

Or best price for the product?

Best supplier?

Thank You
Ness :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The heavy weight ones sold by Endicott's are superb :D

Thing is though, if it's for the car and the kids, just in case, then a couple of single bed quilts fitted into cushion covers would be ready at hand when needed :cool: and just as warm as the wool.

Good tartan rugs are lovely, especially the merino, lambswool or cashmere ones, but expensive. Vintage wool blankets can be a bit hit or miss; fine if they come from family or family friends, but I'm really, really fussy :eek: They're probably the cheapest option though and 'can' be very, very good indeed.

Fleece isn't warm enough if you're stuck in a cold car, but ex army down sleeping bags pack small and they're warm for the children and you too. The smell of down isn't something I'm fond of though, and in the car just sitting, they can get foosty smelling. They need aired pretty often. The wool blanket and the quilts are fine just kicking about, but not as warm and snug as the bag.

Best of luck with it :)
By the way, Fabric Bazaar has a beatiful warm, thick, soft wool, dark brown, for under £7 a metre just now, 60" wide too :) Just hem the ends and it'd be very comfortable :cool:

cheers,
Mary

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's in the London Road in Glasgow, but if you phone them they're very helpful :D and they post :cool:
Tell them you were recommended by me or the site and they'll be even more helpful :D

I know Lorna said they were on facebook now too, so might be worth a look ?

The brown wool was lovely, I was in last week and saw it then; if I had had a use for it right now, I'd have had it :D
Very practical colour too, which helps with kids and muddy boots ;)
They also had a beautiful camel coloured one for the same price.

Maz got a load of outdoor fabrics in recently and they're taking up shelf space so they're going cheaply :)

cheers,
M

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
If you are like me and needle-phobic TKMaxx is always worth a look for blankets.
My Jeep is currently equipped with blankets in Alpaca (Bunny-soft luxury!) and in Lambswool and Cashmere
blend (warmer but not quite so soft).I think they were around £15 each from TKM.Job done.
Cheers , Simon

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Y'know what's handy to keep in the car ? Those wee two for a pound silvery survival blankets.
If you have to get out and wait for help they're not only good to keep you warm but they're waterproof too and shed the rain.
Weigh only grammes and about the size of a pocket pack of wipes.

cheers,
M

v-ness

Oct 9, 2010
on a hill in Scotland
Some good links there- cheers :D

So is there much difference in warmth between the blankets?

We've got some of those survival blankets in the car, for emergencies. They dont give you the same psychological boost as a real blanket does in the cold ;). There is just something about wool blankets that makes you feel warmer just by looking at it....rambling now :rolleyes:

Toddy: is that fabric shop big? I feel a shopping trip to Glasgow coming on!

Cheers

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Eh, well it's not huge, but it's very much worth a ramble through :D
Cheapest place I've ever found for threads, zips, etc., etc., and incredibly helpful people, and such a wide range of fabrics. I've found everything from pure silk and linen to the bolts of cloth that the fancy clothing at House of Bruar is made from, there. :approve:
There's Mandors and John Lewis too, but they're three times the price :sigh:

I agree about the wool blankets and the silvery things. Denise swears that the blanket and then the foil over the whole thing is absolutely brilliant regardless of the weather.

cheers,
M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Some good links there- cheers :D

So is there much difference in warmth between the blankets?
Cheers

Oh hell yes. I have Dutch ones and Belgian Army ones (more felted and better finished). They are warmer than many a duvet. Really thick and very heavy. I would choose a Dutch one over a three season sleeping bag for car carry (and I have :)).

I reckon my Belgian one is warmer than three fleece blankets combined. Very heavy and bulky - but toasty warm

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No disagreement there; but wee kids .....y'know, muddy, sticky, spilt juice, 'ick.....if you shove one of those blankets into the washing machine you end up with a woolly brick :sigh:

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE