tarps

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rg1984

Feb 24, 2007
Lockerbie
I was also wondering if anyone can recommend any certain types of tarps for camping under? I'm new to this game but really want to give it a shot in the spring/summer.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Matey, if you can tie it between two trees and it's keep the rain off then you can use any type of tarp you like, from a big blue builders tarp to an army basha sheet, from an over priced aussie hootchi to a 3x4m polycotton, a sheet of old canvas to a ripstop nylon poncho.... have a little go on the search function for some of the terms I've used above and no doubt there'll be a wealth of info and suggestions there for the taking. :)

Cheers,

Bam. :D

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
This bunch do a nice 3m x 3m version in British camo pattern or central european camo if you so desire. Camo is good for tarps as it helps you blend in and be less conspicuous (to humans and animals).

http://www.usmcpro.com

I've got one of their 3x3m ones and it's great. Loads of room, not too heavy and 100% waterproof.

Yeoman

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
rg1984 said:
I was also wondering if anyone can recommend any certain types of tarps for camping under? I'm new to this game but really want to give it a shot in the spring/summer.

Go to 'Search' and type in 'tarp'. Then fill your boots!

There are loads of different types; probably the most talked about is the Australian Hootchie but these are pretty expensive. There are some much cheaper ones out there and they also do 'group buys' every now and again.

The hardest bit is learning to pitch it properly.

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
I use a Tatonka 3x3m poly tarp. Can't fault it. When I was looking for a tarp not too long ago this was recommended to me, along with the Hootchie guy lines from raymears.com. At £10 these are very good quality I find and perfect to go with the tarp.

Happy hunting :)

ATB....Stu

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Look on eBay for a cheap ex-army one, or maybe an army surplus store, don't spend a lot of money. Get out there with it, learn how to use it by trial, error, and reading the web. First one I used was actually a camping ground sheet, heavy as anything and my bivi bag stuck out the other end, but kept my head and kit dry. Have fun with it, and if you don't like it, you haven't lost a lot of money.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
rg1984 said:

I have two British army camo tarps (not the green poncho!) one to sleep under and one to keep my gear dry, both are lightweight, go up in 2 minutes and have lasted me the better part of ten years.

I must say though that if you intend to sleep in a hammock, these tarps are too small.

I hope this helps you!:)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Proper 550 is much better than "field line" - thats not to bad a price although its cheaper in bulk!

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE