Tarp tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Hi chaps,
I need a bit of info from the ground dwellers amongst us.

I'm off on a little trip to wales next month with teepee off here and I'm planning on taking my new appy trails tarp tent.

Iv never used a tarp tent before, always used a tent with a sig so this is a new experience for me.

I'm planning on using some polycryo as my ground sheet and as its a single skin tent and I only have down sleeping bags, just to be on the safe side I'm going to use a light weight bivi bag too, just to protect my sleeping bag from condensation etc.
I'm thinking of buying a trek mates bivi (anyone have any tips or points about that bivi?)

I'm also going to be using my synmat.
Here is my question, are you supposed to fit your mat inside the bivi with you?
The synmat is quite thick and with me being a more fuller figured gent I'm thinking it may not fit inside.

So can I buy one of those cheap orange survival bags and put my mat in there in case it gets wet?

Someone told me that syn mats are waterproof but on the exped website it says they are not.

Cheers
Steve

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Probably doing myself out of a sale here but...if youre of more ample girth then id avoid the trekmates bivi and go for something larger like an alpit hunka large. The trekmates one packs small but doesn't give you much wiggle room.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Probably doing myself out of a sale here but...if youre of more ample girth then id avoid the trekmates bivi and go for something larger like an alpit hunka large. The trekmates one packs small but doesn't give you much wiggle room.

Thanks for your honesty, but would that still be the case even with the mat on the outside?
Cheers

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Thanks for your honesty, but would that still be the case even with the mat on the outside?
Cheers

Its snug with a sleeping bag, but if you're constrained by a sleeping bag anyway then it will be fine. Its only if you have a very roomy bag and you're a restless sleeper that you may feel a little constrained.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Its snug with a sleeping bag, but if you're constrained by a sleeping bag anyway then it will be fine. Its only if you have a very roomy bag and you're a restless sleeper that you may feel a little constrained.

I see, I use a Tesco down bag which is pretty snug but iv had no problem! In fact iv used. 2 at the same time when it's been very cold!!
I'm not so much of a restless sleeper tbh, once I'm gone I'm pretty much dead lol!!
So by your previious post would I be right in thinking you have bivi for sale??
Cheers

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I see, I use a Tesco down bag which is pretty snug but iv had no problem! In fact iv used. 2 at the same time when it's been very cold!!
I'm not so much of a restless sleeper tbh, once I'm gone I'm pretty much dead lol!!
So by your previious post would I be right in thinking you have bivi for sale??
Cheers

Yes. You pm'd me about it. Didn't you get mine?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Having the mat inside the bivvy with you makes for an easier sleep Steve, chances are you'll roll off it if you're laid on top.

I've also heard the Trekmates is a bit on the snug side, I'd go for the Aplkit or one of the light Rab models.

If you can get good closure with your tarp tent then you don't really need a bivvy at all, I use one in my Trailstar but that's a bit more open.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
On the Arctic course, lots of us had Exped mats. They were all wide ones too and none of us could get the mat and ourselves into into the bivi's.

When we asked Exped for their advice, they told us that the mats were harder wearing than any bivi and to sleep on top, without a groundsheet.

Although we did, all agreed that it wasn't ideal. I found myself rolling off in the night and yearning for a bigger bivi :)

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Having the mat inside the bivvy with you makes for an easier sleep Steve, chances are you'll roll off it if you're laid on top.

I have my exped mat on a camp bed so this problem doesn't arise for me but ...... could you get round the "rolling off" problem by knocking some stakes in the ground to keep you and your sleeping bag and the exped mat in line and in place?

Just a thought ( I can see that this would not have been an option in the Arctic though)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I have my exped mat on a camp bed so this problem doesn't arise for me but ...... could you get round the "rolling off" problem by knocking some stakes in the ground to keep you and your sleeping bag and the exped mat in line and in place?

Just a thought ( I can see that this would not have been an option in the Arctic though)

Yeah that would work, even a pair of boots stuffed down the side seems to help a bunch

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Thanks for the replys chaps.
I realise you get what you pay for but I'm trying to get it as cheap as possible.
Have any of you seem or got this bivi-

Gelert Adventure Bivvi Bag Waterproof & Breathable (Bivvy)

http://bit.ly/OUmRqN

Or for good value -

SUPERGRADE BELGIAN ARMY WATERPROOF SEYNTEX BIVVY BIVI BAG SLEEPING BAG COVER

http://bit.ly/OUkZP0
But I understand as with all army surplus you pay a premium with the extra weight.

Cheers
Steve

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Thanks for the replys chaps.
I realise you get what you pay for but I'm trying to get it as cheap as possible.
Have any of you seem or got this bivi-

Gelert Adventure Bivvi Bag Waterproof & Breathable (Bivvy)

http://bit.ly/OUmRqN

Or for good value -

SUPERGRADE BELGIAN ARMY WATERPROOF SEYNTEX BIVVY BIVI BAG SLEEPING BAG COVER

http://bit.ly/OUkZP0
But I understand as with all army surplus you pay a premium with the extra weight.

Cheers
Steve

That Gelert one looks suspiciously like my trekmates one, except for the colour.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
That Gelert one looks suspiciously like my trekmates one, except for the colour.

I agree it does, but the gelert one is 85cm at the top where as the trek mates is 75cm according to what iv read.
I do want the trek mates bivi but I'm really not sure I will fit in it tbh!!

Plus with the weight difference the gelert is only a few grams more than the trek mates it doesn't look to bad!!
I'm not intending on sleeping out under the stars in it, I just want to protect my down bags inside a single skin tent.
Cheers
Steve

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
That looks ideal Hayden :)

A wash in TX direct would regain its water repellancy.

Edit; not the XL though

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE