Tarp Suggestions Please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fell Monkey

Tenderfoot
Apr 4, 2012
South Cheshire
I have been persuaded to invest in a tarp, possibly through my inquisitive desire to try them. I have spent many nights under the stars in a bivvy bag, in this country and abroad, albeit in the dry weather. I have tents, one very lightweight one for nights wild camping in the fells, but would like to try a tarp for nights in valleys or sheltered by woodland. I have looked at the military basha, which seem to be described mainly as "bombproof", but sure there must be lighter alternatives which give a very close robustness? I havent cancelled the army basha out, more of giving myself a choice and a decision to make. I require a tarp for just myself, I intend to be a ground dweller, although I have never tried a hammock the time may come when I would like to try one, adaptability for use with a hammock would be good. For colour, a DPM/ camoflage would be usefull, if not a green. Any suggestions for a tarp suitable would be appreciated!

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Consider the army basha then- it's not mega lightweight, but you can use it on a diagonal if you later deciode to hammock and it is usually just about enough length. Nice and cheap. Otherwise, the DD3x3 gets good reviews from people on here.

If you want lighter weight, olive green, and very good quality, the older issue british basha is a good bet- difficult to find now though, but just over half the weight of the latest production runs of the DPM basha. Slightly smaller, so you couldn't use it for a hammock. They were issued in the transition between the old 58 patt poncho, and the dpm basha. Sometimes called an SAS basha, or Jungle basha.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
If you want to go light weight and you are happy to fork out a load of dosh then for the size and strength ratio the hilleberg tarp 10 or the true north tarps are at the top of the designer tarp list or at a midish price point you could take a look at tatonka who make some great quality tarps . All 3 brands to my mind are quite high end tarps

But that all said if you are only just trying them out to see if you like it the best bet might be to stick with army surplus tarp as they are strong and do the job and are normally much cheaper

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
In view of the way you're planning to use it, I'd say you're worrying too much. I've bought army surplus and builder's tarps in the 3m x 2m sort of size for less than a fiver, and any of them would do the job you want one to do although they're nothing like so robust as some of the more expensive tarps. The military variety that doubles as a stretcher is one of my favourites but although it's bombproof it's relatively small, and a bit heavy and bulky for the size.

I recommend using a tarp with a tent. I generally use a 3m x 3m tarp with my tents but a lot of it is wasted by covering the tent so it doesn't really need to be so big.. Having the tarp as a sort of huge porch are for the tent gives me a lot more room to move around, stow gear, cook, change, wash etc. than if I just had the tent, and also I can use just the insect mesh on the tent instead of having to zip up the fly when it rains. That gives much better ventilation, so condensation is reduced.

Fell Monkey

Tenderfoot
Apr 4, 2012
South Cheshire
It seems the army basha is the heaviest for its size, so most tarps are of similar weight but in turn are larger covering due to lighter materials used. I think my plan of attack may be to invest in an British Army Basha, then once established with the use of it, may take my mums sewing machine out of the dust and produce my own tarp with lighter material....

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
Have a look at some from TW Hammocks too. I've a DD 3x3 & it's great but I wanted something a bit smaller & got a really lightweight one from TW for about £18. As I wanted it more for a windbreak than a 'roof' it's pretty good for the price. The Army Bashas are getting pretty expensive nowadays from what they were.

Ah...didn't see tatanferret's recs!!

Last edited:

Harb505

Forager
Nov 22, 2011
Lincolnshire
Another vote for the DD 3x3.
I use the DD solo 2.8x1.8 but find it too small sometimes however if you after a light weight tarp it's brilliant. Will sleep two under it in good weather if you hunker it right down to the ground ('A' frame type shape) in bad weather it will not move but will feel like a glorified bivi - used mine on open grounf near Tryfan in high wind and it was still standing properly in the moring.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Vanguard do or used to make some great little DPM tarps in ripstop, a third of the weight and pack size of a regular basha.

Basha72

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2006
Torbay
The Dutch basha is ripstop and folds up into its own pouch it is DPM Its just a matter of finding one from local surplus or e bay

Basha

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE