tarp poles?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
I often find myself on the hills as opposed to woodland so I need some form of pole to create a tarp selter

I often see walking poles used for this but are there any other options. I was thinking something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Replaceme...hash=item2ed17156dd:m:msD3wLJQfY0cFqj5WIV_Uzw may work?

any other suggestions?

Those fibreglass poles are not rigid enough to be used vertically on their own being so prone to wobble they eventually slip out of position. Plus without some sort of end cap they put a lot of pressure on a small spot and that seldom ends well for the tarp. However using those poles as intended as an arch under compression can be applied to tarp & poncho's. Last time I messed around with this setup I used DIY 'grenade-pins' made from a keyring split rings and cotter pins to secure the ends and it worked reasonably well with a British Army Basha/tarp. The real beauty is of course that as you wander exploring you will find abandoned dome tents can be surprising common in some areas. if you don't mind orange I've got a dozen under the bench here.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• alphatent4.jpg
    alphatent4.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 222
  • 17gr15nq553oyjpg.jpg
    17gr15nq553oyjpg.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 223

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
I use with my 3X3 DD tarp
A set of robens poles
http://www.campingworld.co.uk/Mobile/MobileModels.aspx?ModelID=8323

Used them in lots of conditions wind rain and snow and have never failed and reasonably cheap

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

22 euro? for that price you can just get actually lighter hiking poles (ok, they kinda suck as hiking poles themselves, bad strap etc, but decathlon has a single one for 9 euro, which i'd count as a better option then ;) ).

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
The 'alpha poncho tent' makes a brilliant mobile hide too, it's incredible how close you can get to wildlife when holding one up in front of you, I've literally walked straight up to Deer almost to within stroking distance, they just stand and look at it and don't associate it in anyway with a human, very strange, it's even possible to take photos through the hole designed for sticking your head through.just remember it's like carrying a large umbrella though in the wind.

D.B.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Anyone got an idea for a good set of poles to use for with a tarp when cycle touring/bikepacking as well as walking in the hills?

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
When cycling I still use my walking poles as tarp poles. Alternatively if weight is an issue, you can buy the poles that Luxe use on their shelters separately. They very light, but perhaps not the cheapest on the market.

J

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I use with my 3X3 DD tarp
A set of robens poles
http://www.campingworld.co.uk/Mobile/MobileModels.aspx?ModelID=8323

Used them in lots of conditions wind rain and snow and have never failed and reasonably cheap

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I use the same when car camping if uncertain about sourcing natural material on site, work great and you can raise and lower a side of your tarp easily for changes in weather, space etc.

For backpacking though, although I haven't had a need so far, walking poles would seem to be the best option as many have suggested.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Used walking poles for years backpacking. Adjustable for those times you really need to hunker down low. Just drop the pole height and widen the pegging points, instant wind shedding. Simple really. I suspect most tarp poles sold just for that purpose don't have as much adjustability.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Used walking poles for years backpacking. Adjustable for those times you really need to hunker down low. Just drop the pole height and widen the pegging points, instant wind shedding. Simple really. I suspect most tarp poles sold just for that purpose don't have as much adjustability.

The Robens tarp poles have loads of adjustment between something like 1m to 2.5m, don't quote me on the actual figures, but infinitely adjustable between packed length and fully extended.

Wouldn't see them as a backpacking choice though as said.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I think I saw a Robens pole at 2kg weight somewhere. I hope that's wrong. Too heavy except for car camping.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I might be looking at something else. IIRC there's two Robens tarp poles and one is a heavy car camping type like a heavy clothes line prop.

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
Ive got a pair from Robens which I use for a drive away awning. I have seen a thinner lighter pair from Robens which would suit better. Can't recall if they are a different colour than standard bright steel or not. A quick Google fu should help

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE