Switzerland Way Hey!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

y0dsa

Forager
Jan 17, 2008
The Danelaw
Or should that be Yodel 'eeeeeeay!

Anyway, partner and I are planning a ten day bushy trip hiking in Switzerland in late August and thought here would be a good place to start.

The cheapest way for us to get there seems to be to fly from Doncaster to Dublin then to Basle. After that it'll be buses and trains. Heard the post buses go all over.

But what's the deal with free camping (we plan to have a tent and a pair of hammocks and tarps)?

What's the deal with lighting camp fires, fishing, and carrying sharps? And can we even carry sharps in our main luggage on the planes? Also, what's the deal with fuel bottles on planes?

So many questions...Any thoughts or advice would be most welcome.
Cheers!

David.from.Holland

Tenderfoot
May 29, 2008
Holland
Knives and other pointy bits not in your carry-on luggage, in your checked in luggage should be fine. Fuel bottles are to be empty of course, but even then you could get into trouble. The regulations are (intentionally) vague and it's up to the interpretation of the officials you're dealing with.

y0dsa

Forager
Jan 17, 2008
The Danelaw
Thanks David
Yeah, I heard about some folks having to discard their fuel bottles all together before flying, but that was years ago. I have two of those Trangia 1l bottles, so will think carefully before risking it.

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
So you're coming visiting the land off cuckoo clocks, chocolate and handy, dandy pocket knives.
Welcome!! :)
Do you already know where in Switzerland you want to go?

Buses and trains
Yes, they do go all over. And I mean ALL over. There actually used to be a law here stating that every and all village should be connected to the pos-bus routes. Even though that law is no longer there, you can still get almost everywhere with the bus. It might only run once a day in some places, but anyway.
And added to that, you can rely on the time schedule, so it's easy to plan. In fact, if you can use the internet during or before your trip, I strongly advise you to use this link to get all the timetables you need. Choose the "Advanced search" for a more comprehensive choice.

Free camping
Well, here they call it (directly translated) "Wild camping". Which gives you a slight idea what the official standpoint on it is. Designated areas...
However, if you handle it nicely and don't go camping in someones back yard or are too noisy or turn your chosen spot into a rubbish dump (i.e. basically you use your common camping sense), there's normally no problem. Discretion is a key word.:cool: I've followed this "code" all over Switzerland, and never had any problems. I guess it's the same all over the world - handle the people who live in the area with friendliness and respect, and you'll get the same back.
Good that you bring a tent as well as hammock/tarp. If you're up above the treeline, a tent is definitely to be recommended. No trees to put up the hammock, and the weather does change quickly sometimes. Believe me... I've seen it happen all too often. But nother beats hammocking below the treeline. Besides, in some areas it might be hard to find ground that's not leaning too much for a tent...:cool:

Camp fires
Again, officially it's not allowed outside designated areas. And again, if you handle it with common camping sense, it's ok in most places. However, at the end of August the forest and the fields are (some years) very dry, and there might be a complete fire ban for a while because of that.

Hiking paths
When hiking, you'll surely stumble upon some of the superbly signposted hiking paths. Yellow for the flat-land hikes, red-and-white for the mountainous paths and blue-and-white for the hard-core difficult alpine paths. At least along the yellow ones, and on some of the red-and-white ones, you will find proper barbecue places which are excellent for your fire. Sometimes there will even be a wood storage there, intended to be used by the hikers passing buy. Also, in many of these places you will find a water source with pure drinking water. No need to boil or filter or iodine or whatever it. Pretty nifty if you ask me.

Fishing
Well, there's not much fishing around to be honest, and what's there isn't very good.
I actually don't know if I would bother.

Carrying sharps
You don't really see people carrying sharps in the open around here, so if you wear a sheath knife in your belt, people will most likely stare at you. But carry it all in the rucksacks until you hit camp, and you don't have any problems. Around camp no-one really cares if you carry a knife in your belt.
The sharps laws aren't as strict here as they are in Britain, and so carrying sharps here aren't really a problem. Just don't flash them on the train station just as the police are clamping down on the footie "supporters"...

Sharps on the plane
Put all of the sharps in the checked-in luggage, and you're fine.

Fuel bottles on the plane
If you're talking gas bottles - They're an absolute no-no on the plane. You'll have to buy what you need when you get to Switzerland. If you're going to Basel, there are a couple good outdoors shops there. At least one is only 5 min. walk from the train station: Outdoors shop "Transa", situated at Aeschengraben 13.
If you're talking fluid fuels - Make sure you empty the bottle(-s), wash them out with plain water and air them. Shouldn't be a problem after that.
Your stove, however, could be a matter of discussion. I've been in hard discussions with the check-in personnel at airports, where they at first have refused to let me take it on board the plane. If it happens to you, just stand your ground - you are allowed to bring it in your check-in luggage. They might want you to sign a paper saying you take the responsibility, but then so be it.

Free thoughts and advice
Try the cheeses - they're excellent!! :D

Happy bushcrafting in Switzerland
/ Karl

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I wonder if you'd get away with having your Trangia bottles in your hold luggage, empty and with the lids unscrewed to ensure there were no residual vapours. Take SIGG bottles instead, show your support for the Swiss economy ;)

y0dsa

Forager
Jan 17, 2008
The Danelaw
Karl - thanks for your comprehensive answer.

There's so much about Switzerland that sounds superb for a spot of high altitude walking and (respectful, discreet) wild camping, but we haven't decided where to go, yet. Maybe the Jaunpass, Obersimmental, and walk along the Gastlosen range. We won't be climbing though. Well maybe a bit, but nothing technical!

That's a handy travel link - hope to be able to access the Internet at some points during the trip.

If there is a fire ban, would it still be acceptable to use the designated barbecue places on the footpaths?

If bringing a stove on the plane is going to be problematic, I'll bring the Trangia rather than the Optimus multifuel. Surely they couldn't object to that if its empty of fuel.

I used to love eating cheese, and have been to the Greyer (sp?) factory, but sadly I have developed an intolerance of lactose (and gluten and sucrose).

Thanks again for all the info.

Andy - supporting the economy: I need a new SAK having mislaid my trusty huntsman, and wear a Tissot automatic...

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
>>If there is a fire ban, would it still be acceptable to use the designated barbecue places on the footpaths?

Absolutely. As Karl said, some have wood provided, ie stacked up and dry, some have a little trough with running water, and maybe a bench and table, rubbish bin etc. Stereotypical Swiss organisation.

>>If bringing a stove on the plane is going to be problematic, I'll bring the Trangia rather than the Optimus multifuel. Surely they couldn't object to that if its empty of fuel.

Don't bet on it. Your best bet might be a disassembled trangia in your luggage, with a separate pepsi can burner just in case. I had trouble with a Swedish army burner in the hand luggage even before the liquids ban charade.

Alcohol for burning and both fittings for gas are widely available.

I must say that hammocks are a better bet than a tent. They're not very common here so people don't see them as camping, they're more descreet and finding level ground away from well trodden paths can be tricky. Finding two trees isn't.

I hope you have a great trip. Don't forget, HP sauce is not widely available so make sure you bring plenty with you.

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
Hi all,

very useful information, thank´s for that.

I have got two questions for the Swiss people overhere:

I will be spending a week and a half in the French Jura, between Besancon and the border with Switzerland and am hoping to visit one or more Swiss sites to spot some wildlife there as well. Does anyone know some good sites for birding or naturewatching in the NorthWestern area of Switzerland?

I will be looking for a Swiss book on primitive firestarting in any bookshops I will encounter. The book (`Feuer-von der steinzeit bis zum Brennglass´ written by Muller) is in German, can I expect to find it in the French speaking part of Switzerland or will they typically sell only books in French?

Cheers,

Tom

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
Well, as for finding wildlife, the Jura is teeming with birdlife, especially birds of prey. And of course there's plenty of deer.

As for finding a book written in German in France? Unlikely, I think. Especially for a non-fiction title. The latest John Grisham, maybe. You may stumble upon a J R Hartley moment, but in my opinion time spent in a bookshop would be wasted, and would be better spent in the Jura itself. Don't forget that this region gives its' name to the Jurassic era, so a fossil find is well on the cards, and as for firelighting, flint is also to be found in these hills.

O

oilyrag

Remember that untainted meths can be bought at both chemists and supermarkets under the name Brennsprit.

The BBQ area's mentioned are called, Feuerstelle (marked on maps) they are fantastic, you'll sometimes find them with kindling and twigs all ready for the next user.
0904%20Feuerstelle.jpg

0903%20Feuerstelle.jpg

Take water from above the grazing level and you'll not need to boil it.

y0dsa

Forager
Jan 17, 2008
The Danelaw
Thanks for all the info, folks.
Got the cheap (not) tickets on Sunday, so its definitely a go. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!
Still not sure where though - Gastlosen or Upper Engadine hmm.

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
Both Gastlosen as well as Engadin (upper as well as lower) are beautiful.
Personally, I have a fad for Engadin, so of course I'll have to recommend you go for that.
If you can, you should go to the national park in Engadin (link clicky). The "bad" thing about it for you is that you're neither allowed to stay overnight in the park, nore to make a fire. Still, I can highly recommend having a look there.
Gastlosen is probably easier to reach by public transport, but Engadin has more space and woods to offer.
Any of the two areas will definitely give you plenty of nice views and good hiking.

/ Karl

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE