Swedish Lapland 2007

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Just returned from a 2 week trip to Swedish Lapland with Frogfish.

Here are a few pictures.....

On top of a mountain at-15 with a considerable wind chill

7.jpg
[/IMG]

Having a warm brew

10.jpg
[/IMG]

Creating shelter from the wind

9.jpg
[/IMG]

Our main method of transport

14.jpg
[/IMG]

Jokkmokk Saami market 2007

47.jpg
[/IMG]

Inside a Saami kota

46.jpg
[/IMG]

A traditional Saami meal of bread, butter lingon berries and Reindeer bllod pudding stuffed with pieces of fat

22.jpg
[/IMG]

Nils-Henrik Tejlus and Rune Stokke (both of whom feature in "Eld" the Saami book of fire) demonstrating how they use the long log fire called "Nuorssjo".

16.jpg
[/IMG]

The view inside my snow hole

42.jpg
[/IMG]

Frogfish demonstrating how to make fire from green birch

63.jpg
[/IMG]

Myself and Frogfish ice fishing

77.jpg
[/IMG]

Warming by a fire outside the shelter we built last september

111.jpg
[/IMG]

Frogfish stitching my finger after an accident while making a knife

81.jpg
[/IMG]

I bought 2 blades from Leif Carlsson http://www.leifsknivar.com/ at Jokkmokk, and using curley birch and moose antler, completed one knife.

P1020530.jpg
[/IMG]

A view from the dog slege

49.jpg
[/IMG]

Finally, we undertook some experiments into complete submersion at -30 degrees for an article we are writing.

92.jpg
[/IMG]

and here's frogfish after completeing his part of the experiment

P1020472.jpg
[/IMG]

Reactions: Toddy

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Great pictures.Thank you. :D

That was a fair sized dog team that you had;much more fun than those noisy machines isn't it? ;)

When you tried to kill yourselves with hypothermia,were you still out in the wild,or were you near buildings? :eek:

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
You certainly had a great trip, the snow reminds me of here last week. :rolleyes:

My five year old daughter thought that the last pic was Harry from Bigfoot and the Hendersons. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
looks like you had great fun mate, that finger looks painfull though
leon

TobyH

Forager
Apr 4, 2006
Deepest, Darkest Suffolk
I'm reasonably new to this sort of thing, but that looks like a fantastic trip. The problem I have at the moment is working out exactly how you organise that sort of trip. I'm never sure where I can go to practice my newly learned skills, and I can't even think about how you go about doing something like that abroad.

So, is it just a matter of turning up somewhere you like the look of and running off into the woilderness with free abandon, or (as I think might be the case) is there far more planning!

I'd be interested in finding out about people/companies that do this sort of thing abroad too...

Apologies if this is a bit of a hijack! :eek:

TobyH said:
I'm reasonably new to this sort of thing, but that looks like a fantastic trip. The problem I have at the moment is working out exactly how you organise that sort of trip. I'm never sure where I can go to practice my newly learned skills, and I can't even think about how you go about doing something like that abroad.

So, is it just a matter of turning up somewhere you like the look of and running off into the woilderness with free abandon, or (as I think might be the case) is there far more planning!

I'd be interested in finding out about people/companies that do this sort of thing abroad too...

Apologies if this is a bit of a hijack! :eek:

Hi Toby,

I have a couple of friends there and can base myself with them. I would post this as a new thread in the forum because I think it will generate a lot more help and advise ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE