Swedish Bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sploing

Tenderfoot
Oct 3, 2006
Manchester
Hello,
Does anyone know where I can find a comprehensive guide to the laws in sweden surrounding bushcraft. I'm talking about fishing, hunting, wild camping, possibly felling the odd tree. I've looked everywhere and can only find tourist sites or stuff writen in Swedish.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sploing

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Try looking up "Allemansratten" it should provide you with the details behind the right of access over there. Its not a law as such so that might be why you didnt find it. We were told about it when we visited and its truely the way forward if you ask me.

heres the main site: http://www.allemansratten.se/

andyn said:
Try looking up "Allemansratten" it should provide you with the details behind the right of access over there. Its not a law as such so that might be why you didnt find it. We were told about it when we visited and its truely the way forward if you ask me.

heres the main site: http://www.allemansratten.se/

Many thanks for this link Andy. I would give you rep if I could :You_Rock_

Sgt Sim

Tenderfoot
May 2, 2007
Edinburgh
Hmmm.. I am afraid I have to correct you a little bit. The swedish Allemansratten is like you say not a law as such, but if you breatch the code you are likely to be prosecuted, but then for neglect, damage to private or corporate property or theft.
Not to mention, if you breatch the code, there is going to be harser legislations and codes enforced, so please follow the code. We are quite pleased to have it and proude over that it has mediveal origns and still works. Also, even if the code says that you are aloud to do such and such, it is always epriciated by the landowner if you ask him/her if you are going to stay for long in one place or do something for a longer time in one place (I am partly speaking as one of them...)

Anyhow, the code is most easly broken down in what you are aloud to do and what you are not.

You are aloud to:
- Pass another mans land or forrest without hinderence
- Collect berries and eatable fungus on another mans land
- Collect dead wood (the criteria is that the wood shall be lying on the ground)
- Camp on another mans land or forrest for 24 hours without permission
- Swim and bade in another mans lake
- Collect water in streams

You are not aloude to:
- Pass farmers fields with crops
- Cut down trees or cause damage to another mans forrest or land
- Camp on what is discribed as "tomtmark" in swedish legilsation, which most easily is decribed as another mans back yard (the diffrenece between the two can be hard do distinguse, but a good rule is that if you can see houses in your emidate surrounding, you are likely to be on someones "tomtmark"). You are also not aloud to pass another mans "tomtmark"
- Fish in another mans lake, stream or pond
- Hunt in antoher mans forrest

There is also a couple of "please respect this":
- A fence should always be respected and if you are passing one, for instance through a gate, please close after you
- If you purcase a fishing license you are aloud to fish. This can usually be purcased at tourist offices or at local councils. Look for the sign "Fiskekort". The tourist office can also guide you to places where fishing is free. Do remeber that if you are fishing on in another mans lake, the landowner is entiteled to take you catch and prosecute you if he discovers you. Most problems relating to this is very easly solved: SPEAK to the landowner before and there should normaly be no problems, licenses or fees. Harpooning is trictly prohibited
- Hunting is only aloud by the landowner and all animals have there special season when they are aloud to be hunted. You also need a license for this, but if you are hunting with the landowner (how have to have a special license for weapons and hunting him self) you do not need one of your own. The use of snares, bowes and arrows are strictly prohibited and concidered illegal weapons and a danger to wild life and people. If caucht, you will face prison.
- You are aloud to light fires, but between may and october there isa national fire prohibition. Respect that and use already fixed fire places.
- If you are in the mountains, respect the Sami- community and large heards of reindeers. It takes several months to gather a reindeer herd, but only an hour to scatter them...

Apart from this, you can walk aroudn freely and collect in terms of plants and wood what you need. If uncertain, try to talk to the landowner, we are usualy not hard to deal with :D

May I also ask where you are going in sweden? I might be able to provide som info and contacts if requested.

sploing

Tenderfoot
Oct 3, 2006
Manchester
Thanks for all the info so far. It's exactly what I was looking for, I'm thinking about going to the Varmland or possibly close to Långvattnet but having never been to Sweden before I'm just going on what I've heard from other people. I'll be happy anywhere with big lakes, big forests and not many people.

Sploing

Sgt Sim

Tenderfoot
May 2, 2007
Edinburgh
Varmland is nice and conatins most stuff you are looking for. The county next to it (or slightly north of it), Dalarna, also contains vast areas of smal lakes, forrests and fewe people. Another thing... There is a fewe wild life parks in sweden. For ovius reasons the Allemansratten do not apply there. In Varmland, Narke (whichi is also close to Varmland) and Dalarna there is a number of large military training areas. These you are aloud to acess, but please check on forehand if there is a drill going on. Most of them is artillery shooting areas with live ammunition.... So, check on forehand and do not touch anything. These areas provide good possibilitys for bushcraft (hence the reason why they are used as training areas). Have you looked at www.sweden.se? If i remeber correctly, that is the countrys officiall gateway.

sploing

Tenderfoot
Oct 3, 2006
Manchester
ah, brilliant. That's been really helpful.
Are there in any laws in Sweden that affect whether or not I can carry a knife or axe please?

Nicklas Odh

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
Ed, Sweden
Welcome to Sweden. I myself live in Dalsland, which is the county just south of Värmland. Are you going to Långvattnet quite close to Arvika and Sunne?

About carrying knives and stuff:
Noone would even bother if you were walking into the local ICA or Konsum (like Sainsburys and COOP) dressed in OG, wearing boots and carrying almost any type of "normal" knife. It is obvious that you are to leave for the outback. Most people carry Leathermans and such everywhere all the time. It is more relaxed in the forest counties and 110% of the population are hunters anyway.

In theory its not allowed to carry knives in public places, but that law are mostly enforced on Joe the addict and not on normal people and especially not on tourist wearing huge bergens and stuff.

There are no regulations on "normal" knives, but illegal to carry balisongs, autos and other types of street weapons. There are also no restrictions on locking blades and such.
Knives like F1, Mora 2000 and such are very common, and sami type knives.
If you are stopped by the police, very rare in Värmland, it is probably because you are driving a pimped moped, or driving around with the fog lights on :)

You could buy much outdoor equipment in the shops here as well, and order stuff from the web. Any type gas canisters, red spirits or such can easily be bought at any gas station.

Let me know when you are coming here. I have some 80 km to Arvika. just email me if you have any questions.

If you are into geocaching there are lots of those up here as well :)

Nicklas

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Cut down trees or cause damage to another mans forrest or land

Could someone just clarify this for me?

I take it that this means you wouldn't be able to cut live/green wood to make a pot hanger, pegs or suchlike, without the permission of the landowner?

Nicklas Odh

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
Ed, Sweden
In theory you are not allowed to cut live trees, but if doubt that someone will hang you for cutting some young trees where they are many and not visible. In a National park it is not ok, but in a regular swedish forest, who cares? Lets say you need like four or five trees a bit thicker than a thumb, the farmer would most likely cut them down while grooming next year anyway.
If in doubt, ask. The farmer will most likely say something like "saw yourself tired" meaning that you can do whatever you like. He might have thought up a plan for that forest and then he tells you how thick trees you can cut. I remember when I was a kid and there were some campers in the forest. They came walking and asked for permission, and I think they were even shown a great spot and which trees to use. The farmer walked round the campsite and marked some trees here and there just in case they needed them.
They even sent a postcard when they came home, thanking for the nice place. everyone was happy and the farmer got some extra firewood for hunting :) This was about twenty years ago or so.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
If in doubt, ask. The farmer will most likely say something like "saw yourself tired"

Sounds like a fair deal to me, I'd happily help out with a a little pruning in return for a bit of spoon wood. Shame a lot of landowners over here don't see it the same way.

Nicklas Odh

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
Ed, Sweden
Go to a DIY store and buy the sticks you need for tent pegs and stuff. Or ask a nice farmer beforehand to get the fresh sticks you need and bring them along.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE