Sweden plans to be world's first oil-free economy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Todays Guardian said:
Sweden is to take the biggest energy step of any advanced western economy by trying to wean itself off oil completely within 15 years - without building a new generation of nuclear power stations.

The attempt by the country of 9 million people to become the world's first practically oil-free economy is being planned by a committee of industrialists, academics, farmers, car makers, civil servants and others, who will report to parliament in several months.

Article continues
The intention, the Swedish government said yesterday, is to replace all fossil fuels with renewables before climate change destroys economies and growing oil scarcity leads to huge new price rises.

"Our dependency on oil should be broken by 2020," said Mona Sahlin, minister of sustainable development. "There shall always be better alternatives to oil, which means no house should need oil for heating, and no driver should need to turn solely to gasoline."

According to the energy committee of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, there is growing concern that global oil supplies are peaking and will shortly dwindle, and that a global economic recession could result from high oil prices.

Ms Sahlin has described oil dependency as one of the greatest problems facing the world. "A Sweden free of fossil fuels would give us enormous advantages, not least by reducing the impact from fluctuations in oil prices," she said. "The price of oil has tripled since 1996."

A government official said: "We want to be both mentally and technically prepared for a world without oil. The plan is a response to global climate change, rising petroleum prices and warnings by some experts that the world may soon be running out of oil."

Sweden, which was badly hit by the oil price rises in the 1970s, now gets almost all its electricity from nuclear and hydroelectric power, and relies on fossil fuels mainly for transport. Almost all its heating has been converted in the past decade to schemes which distribute steam or hot water generated by geothermal energy or waste heat. A 1980 referendum decided that nuclear power should be phased out, but this has still not been finalised.

The decision to abandon oil puts Sweden at the top of the world green league table. Iceland hopes by 2050 to power all its cars and boats with hydrogen made from electricity drawn from renewable resources, and Brazil intends to power 80% of its transport fleet with ethanol derived mainly from sugar cane within five years.

Last week George Bush surprised analysts by saying that the US was addicted to oil and should greatly reduce imports from the Middle East. The US now plans a large increase in nuclear power.

The British government, which is committed to generating 10% of its electricity from renewable sources by 2012, last month launched an energy review which has a specific remit to consider a large increase in nuclear power. But a report by accountants Ernst & Young yesterday said that the UK was falling behind in its attempt to meet its renewables target.

"The UK has Europe's best wind, wave and tidal resources yet it continues to miss out on its economic potential," said Jonathan Johns, head of renewable energy at Ernst & Young.

Energy ministry officials in Sweden said they expected the oil committee to recommend further development of biofuels derived from its massive forests, and by expanding other renewable energies such as wind and wave power.

Sweden has a head start over most countries. In 2003, 26% of all the energy consumed came from renewable sources - the EU average is 6%. Only 32% of the energy came from oil - down from 77% in 1970.

The Swedish government is working with carmakers Saab and Volvo to develop cars and lorries that burn ethanol and other biofuels. Last year the Swedish energy agency said it planned to get the public sector to move out of oil. Its health and library services are being given grants to convert from oil use and homeowners are being encouraged with green taxes. The paper and pulp industries use bark to produce energy, and sawmills burn wood chips and sawdust to generate power.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/oil/story/0,,1704954,00.html

What do people think about this, would you like to see the UK going the same way if its feasable, i know i would!

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Bravo,shame we do not do the same thing we could then tell the Arabs/middle east they can keep their oil, but then there are 9 million Swedes and 62 millon folks in GB :(

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Sounds fantastic.

If only we were planning on doing the same thing! Well you never know, if one country goes this way and it works, it may spur on others to follow. Lets hope it's not too late by the time we do!! :(

Lifthasir

Forager
Jan 30, 2006
East Yorks
I read (perhaps from David Bellamy) that the wind turbines currently
cropping up all over the UK use more energy in their construction than
they will ever generate in their working lives. One of the major causes
of this is the amount of cement used in their construction. It would
be interesting if anyone could shed more light on this...?

Here are some interesting domestic (small scale) wind turbine sites:

http://www.windtrap.co.uk/Wind_Turbine_Kits/Home_System_Budget.htm

http://www.renewabledevices.com/ (this is a good one as it seems
to be a low noise turbine and a such wouldn't fall foul of planning regs).

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Almost all its heating has been converted in the past decade to schemes which distribute steam or hot water generated by geothermal energy or waste heat.

Geothermal power...in a country which has no volcanic activity...

There was an experimental geothermal plant in Cornwall once, but it was closed down. I was told by a person who had studied energy generation it was working quite well too.

Most wind turbines I have seen seem to spend a lot of time static or idling.

Sep 21, 2005
bristol
sweden has developed an interesting gas production plant that uses yoghurt, manure and animal waste from abitors to creat gas and fertiliser :)

:You_Rock_ sweden

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
There is a crucial difference between energy and power. the reason wind turbines are being put up is to suplement the power supply to the national grid, we need...rather, we USE a lot of power for applications like kettles, irons, bar heaters etc. The energy put into the building of wind turbines may be high, but could consist of various forms of energy, which are not useful in the same way that electrical power is.

I have also heard that the total amount of energy put into the construction a nuclear plant, and then it's maintaintance followed by it's decomission and waste disposal, outweighs the energy it generates over it's lifetime (of course, they are becoming more efficient so it is not necessarily still the case with modern technology), so the wind turbine argument is not that relevent, except that you do need a lot of them to generate large amounts of power. The reason nuclear plants were built was to supply the vast amounts of power (mega watts, sometimes even giga watts) they are able to produce.

And let's face it, it's just a political smokescreen, as otherwise the energy and materials used in their production would be used for another source of energy, which may then ALSO produce CO2 in it's useful life. Wind turbines alone are not nearly enough to counter-act the problem though, many forms of attack are necessary, and you have to be versatile, and use what is available. A lot of technology which may become useful exists already, but is expensive to fund research into when compared to methods which already work without need of further research, but WE all know that these methods are changing our environment, and perhaps would rather they didn't.

American satellites have recently helped produce a map of the world (well, most of it i think) which documents wind speeds effective for wind turbine power generation. The undeveloped world was previously thought to have only 1-2% of it's area suitable for wind farms, that has now been shown to be wrong, and the value is actually more like 13%, quite a huge difference. Effective wind speeds are deemed to be around an average of 20mph i think.

Geothermal energy can be sourced in most countries by drilling, the reason iceland makes use of it is because it is so readily available, it is expensive to drill these holes. Cornwall, as i'm sure most people know, is sat on top of an ancient igneous granite batholith, so probably is not so thick through the crust, and therefore easier to drill.

It is interesting that Sweden have just declared this, as i believe it is Finland which has fairly recently announced that they are building the first nuclear reactor in europe for 20 odd years, having given up any idea of avoiding their use.

It is interesting to note that sweden is reliant on hydroelectric power, this is very effective and dams produce very high wattages, but we shouldn't forget their effect on habitats and ecosystems in general (i don't know the specifics for sweden, it may be relatively eco-friendly), in china they have proved to be disastrous to wildlife and people along the yangtze.

Thanks for the article tomtom.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Tengu said:
Geothermal power...in a country which has no volcanic activity...

There was an experimental geothermal plant in Cornwall once, but it was closed down. I was told by a person who had studied energy generation it was working quite well too.

Most wind turbines I have seen seem to spend a lot of time static or idling.

OK, so in Iceland, you only need to drill down 2500 metres or so, pump down water under pressure and you get back superheated steam at around 320°C.

In the UK, you might not get sich a big gain.

But what you can do, is drill down to where the soil or rock is a constant temperature of, let's say, 15° (a depth of around 2.5 to 3 metres should do) and use this to pre-warm water that is then heated by electricity to supply your house. And in summer, use this 15°C water to cool your house instead of using a conventional air-conditioning unit.

This way of cooling houses has been known for centuries, and is known as a "puits provençal" or "puits canadien" in a simple form that supplies air at a constant 15°C, whether the air outside be at 5°C or at 30°C.

K.

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
I think that is great.

The only problem though is that any oil that Sweden doesn't use will just be purchased by some other country that still does. Thus defeating the purpose.

The only way these ideoligies will work is if everyone takes them on board.

Still...every step forward is a good one.

Porcupine

Forager
Aug 24, 2005
Leek,The Netherlands
Andyn,

although you are right in saying that the oil Sweden doesnt use will be bought by others there is also the other side of the coin.

a diminishing suply will make the price go up,what im realy curious to know is when will we get at the point where the rising oilprice wil make the alternatives cheaper.

another thing to keep in mind is the "return on investment" (ROI)it might be smart to invest a certain amount of money now to spend less on the oil at a future,inflated, price.

as usual there will be many different schools of thought on when we are hitting the point in time where you should have switched.

from a personal point of view i hope they will switch as fast as possible and not only in sweden.

Porc

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
Of course sooner or later we will all become oil free economies whether we like it or not.
So long as there is accesible oil it will be used, if not by us then by the so-called developing countries.
Anyone who thinks that we will stop using oil is kidding themselves I'm afraid.

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Totally agree...and the sooner the better

But i think we can all think of at least one country/continant that has proudly said that they are not interested in cutting down the use of fossil fuels in the past.

If governments want this world to become a place that is going to last, then there is going to need to be a lot of assistance given to other countries. What about the countries that make their money from the sale of oil and gas? Can they afford to change to renewable engery? No. So how can we expect them from stop wanting to sell it?

So unfortunatley I do not think we will see the change fast enough. I certainly dont expect to see anything amazing happen in my generation, and im relatively still a nipper.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Too little, too late. I don't really see how a relatively average country (in coins per head) as Sweden can afford a such enormous undertaking. And for us bushcrafters, more renewables means more hydroelectric power (a real meanie if you ask me), wind and solar parks. I assume you all know where those installations are going to be built. In the remnants of our beloved wilderness of course.

Some economies are becoming virtually oil free already (Bangladesh f.i.). That is not because of alternative energysources, but because the oil is becoming too expensive.

So who will be next?

Torjus Gaaren

Lifthasir

Forager
Jan 30, 2006
East Yorks
Bushtuckerman,

In today's world energy means one thing - fossil fuel energy - in particular oil,
coal and gas.

Energy and power are directly linked. 'Energy' is a measure
of being able to do mechanical work. Power is the amount of work done (or energy
expended) over a given time unit. Energy cannot be created or destroyed, it
can only be changed from one form to another.

Therefore without energy, you can't have power. Kettles are classed as high power
because they use a lot of electrical energy to do their work in short time.

We can derive 'power' from all kinds of energy sources. I can't see how you can
say that some of the energy forms that go into building wind turbines are not useful in the way that electricity is. Electricty is nothing more than a useful
by-product of 'burning' energy (fuel).

All electricty is generated more or less the same way. A coil of wire is wrapped
around an iron core and is surrounded by magnets. As the coil turns the magnets induce an electrical current in the wire coil. The usual way to turn the coil is by boiling water and using pressurized steam to do it. The way we boil the
water is to stick it in a large container which is heated by a fire. The fire these
days is fuelled by coal, gas or nuclear i.e they generate heat which boils the water. The conversion of fossil fuels into electricty is not 100% efficient. Some
energy is wasted due to the process (e.g. friction) and some is wasted as
excess heat and light.

A wind turbine turns the generator as the wind turns the rotor blades. Hydro
power turns the generator as water flows past it etc.

We are told that 'green' power is more environmentally friendly, mainly
because CO2 is minimised or eliminated during the actual generating process.
However, if in the lifetime of a wind turbine, 1million tonnes of CO2 is saved, but
2million tonnes is created in the manufacture and building of a wind turbine, it's
a producer of CO2 and not quite the miracle it is being sold to us as. Add in
the environmental damage caused by cement production and wind turbines
are not quite as greem as they are made out to be.

Cement production is one of the most environmentally damaging we have.
It creates a lot of pollution and it needs to be tranported to site over many
miles using oil powered machines(cement trucks). The spinning blades
are thought to attract birds which then sucks them into the blades thus
killing them.

The only way to avoid a global energy crisis is population reduction. If we
don't do this, we'll have to set aside a few hundred million barrels of oil
to produce fertlizer otherwise we will all starve!!!

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
Its interesting that all our talk or renewables focus on wind power on a large scale. We really need to reduce (or at least stabilise) or energy consumption. Then look at small scale power generation, solar, wind, biofuel, anything.

I have heard government ministers refer to nuclear power as a form of renewable power. ( can anyone explain this) :confused:

Also we in the uk are on an Island. How many hundreds of miles of coastline are out there, with the potenital for tidal and wave power? I keep hearing research scientists on the radio complaining that there is no funding availible in the uk for studys in to the effectiveness and impact of using the sea as a source of power.

I did come accross one website greenheating.com 0r .co.uk :confused: which seems to be run by someone who is very enthusiastic about his subject but doesen't come accross as user/reader friendly.

Anyone got any comments.

Lifthasir

Forager
Jan 30, 2006
East Yorks
I am not sure that 'nuclear' is renewable.

There are two types of nuclear technolgy, fusion and fission.

Fission is currently used to generate electricity. This is the splitting of the atom
which releases huge amounts of energy.

Fusion is the holy grail of nuclear technology. If we could suss nuclear fusion
we could have energy for a long time. Fusion is the opposite of fission -
it joins atoms (rather than splits them) and releases energy as it does so. The
problem is that we know how to do it but we don't know how to control and
harness the energy release. The hydrogen bomb is a good example!

However, uranium is the susbtance of preference as only certain substances
(or isotopes) can sustain the chain reaction process.

I read somewhere that we are depleting our reserves of uranium just like
we are depleting our reserves of oil, gas etc. and that uranium deposits could
run out even before oil deposits do. I'm not sure how true this is. Maybe
someone else knows a bit more.

From what I can gather, the problem with wave power is how to convert vertical
action (sea swell) into a continous motion to drive a generator and to do so
in an efficient (cost effective) way.

There is currently a campaign to get everyone to switch off at the plug all
electronic equipment each night. Apparently, the LEDs on equipment in the average house consumes a barrel of oil per year!! Multiply that by the number
of households and it adds up.

Pappa

Need to contact Admin...
May 27, 2005
South Wales
www.plot55.com
I would be quite happy to see wind turbines all around our green and pleasant land. They're certainly more attractive than pylons, and we accept those as necessary. As has been said before, the energy potential from renewable sources in Britain could fuel all of Europe if it was used to its fullest potential. I don't think that would be wise, but if we concentrated on building and converting energy efficient houses and using small scale turbines and solar panels on a local level, there wouldn't be as much need for massive wind farms and solar parks either.

Oh, and David Bellemy, I wouldn't take much heed of what he says. Did anyone ever see that debate he had on the Channel 4 news with George Monbiot?

Pappa

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
I wouldn't take any notice of anything Monbiot says.
Windfarms are an ideal solution provided we are happy to put up with brown outs due to the unreliability of supply. I suspect however that when your tv goes out because the wind load is exceed by demand many people will not be happy.

Lifthasir

Forager
Jan 30, 2006
East Yorks
Agreed...Monbiot has always been beneath contempt. Bellamy is
respected, though now controversial, in his field of expertise. His opinion
is broad and well balanced. I would be inclined to believe someone like
Bellamy who seeks nothing other than what is best for nature over
someone like Monbiot whose existence is just to pass controversial
comments anything that seems to take his fancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE