sweat lodge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Yes I have. We dug a small pit, about knee deep on a hight by a lake. Made a big fire and heated big rocks in it. In the meantime, we bent over saplings to a dome structure and covered it with a tarp (around the pit of course). We brought water ready from the lake and floored the sweatlodge with spruce boughs. When the rocks were glowing, we carried the rocks with simple tongs and dropped them into the pit. When all the rocks were in the pit, we covered them with some juniper branches for fragrance and spall protection.

After that, it was all about pouring water on the hot rocks and taking an occational plunge in the lake. It was a lovely experience. And it really makes you clean. ;)

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
We have made many, more so when I was younger. You can make them for cleaning yourself, or for purification. My grandfather had a regular ritual for doing it - having to do with the principle directions. We would pick up the hot rocks from the fire with two deer antlers.

We most often use a sweat lodge on canoe trips and during hunting season.

Mr_Rimps

Forager
Aug 13, 2006
Hampshire
I used an old tent. Put a couple of blankets over the top and used three bricks from an old storage heater and dripped water on them....I did this about five years ago. I got good results, lots of steam, but knackered the tent! :rolleyes: Haven't done it since.

Good luck
Andy

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
boland magyar said:
thanks for the information
i will give it a go
when i found this site my beter half did a lot of tuting and then i told her about a steam lodge.....

Brother, go in there with a clean mind, a clean body and a clean spirit. Avoid drugs or alchohol (not saying you use either, but just in case) for a minimum of four days. This could either be a cleaning ritual or a purification ritual, either way it is a sacred ritual. Don't go in unless you know what you're doing.

And avoid Limestone as rocks they explode alot :rolleyes:

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
boland magyar said:
one person poncho sauna....sounds just what im looking for
got any photos
thanks boland

I'm afraid I don't mate but it's not hard to do....

Make yourself a small fire with lots of pebbles in it (smaller than fist sized) and let them get very hot (don't use porus stones or collect them from a river/lake etc).
Allow the fire to burn away to nothing, strip naked and put on your poncho, stand over the hot stones and carefully sit down (without you or the poncho touching the stones and keep a crusader mug of water handy to dribble on the hot rocks to create the steam.
Then when you're done stand up, whip off the poncho and hop straight in the nearest cold lake! lol

Enjoy,

Bam. :D

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I have a semi-permanent one: a sunken seating area over which I can place a dome tent (which has survived so far).
On a still day, it'll approach sauna heat; albeit for a short time given that I can't be bothered to insulate it or plug the gaps. Bit of a plaything, really; but enough room for the family.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE