Swanndri - Why?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
This is going to set the cat amongst the pigeons - what is the big deal with Swanndris.

I got round to trying a ranger shirt and bush shirt on at the weekend and wasn't that impressed.

First impression - it itched like mad, I know that 'm a bit sensetive to wool but they made my hand spun Herdwick jumper seem soft.

Secondly - quite an open weave, especially on the ranger shirt. The wind is going to blow right through it I guess.

Third - cost and colours.

Fourth - doesn't look as if it'll take that much abrasion on rocks (climbing and crawling around cave enterances) - wool tends to snag and wear through very quickly.

To be honest my cheap (£20) Regatta wind/waterproof fleece seems better kit. It had a lot of hammer over that last 2 years and still looks OK (except for the fag burn). Plus it can be chucked in the washing machine with soap and it'll keep it proofing and shape. Ok its not spark proof but a thin woolley jumper or cotton smock would sort that, not that has ever been an issue. Plus at the price I can wear it and replace it once it is total knackered.

Just my thoughts and musings - everyone has there own idea and kit requirements.

JimFSC

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2004
Isle of Wight
I'm no expert, but I picked mine up from Gary for £30 (cheers mate :eek:): ). Anyway, yes, the first couple of times I wore it, it was a bit itchy but not since. Yes, indeed it's not hugely windproof- but this has not been a problem as I prefer it this way! It has kept me dry during several storms already whilst not being uncomfotably stuffy (as we get a lot of rain out in the channel!). If you want windproof and rain proof then yes buy Goretex, but for me the Swanni is ace- add to that my goretex does not make a comfy pillow/ blanket! As to toughness- well remains to be seen but it seems sturdy enough so far- will let you know how it stands up to the next 3 weeks of camping and hiking!

Blue Sky, Jim. :pack:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Just to put the cat among the pigeons even more - :twisted:

Ed's as with many things, the Swanni, the knife, ventile jackets etc etc are all popular because people see them on the TV (if you know what I mean) and people will argue til their blue in the face that they are the best for whatever reason - thats fine its all about choice - thats the same reason you see women driving range rovers for the school run or office workers wear top of the range berghaus' on the tube!

As we say round here 'Some people have more money than sense.' while others trust the opinion of someone they see to be as knowledgable without considering questions of motivation or sponsorship.

Personally I dont rate a lot of that stuff myself - I'd rather have a good Mora knife that will do all I want it to do than a £200 knife that I can't use to prepare my grub. In my experience, while tough as old boots, ventile isnt waterproof and is horrible when wet, give me my poly/cotton, it may not be as hard wearing but I can buy three for the price of one ventile.

As for swanni's - the old design ranger shirt was ok but only that - neither good nor bad. It is hard wearing and I'm sure would be ok when climbing but as you say they are windproof. They are warm when wet and safe around the campfire though which are both big plus. Better than the ranger shirt are the bushshirts - these are warm, pretty good as a windproof too. But the best of all are the new Xtreme range, these have all the best features of the woollen garment plus the waterproof. windproof, breathable qualities of other garments sewn in.

Woolllen jackets and shirts made by Filson and Columbia river, to name but two, are just as good - a army woolly pully is as good a ranger in many ways but some are harder to find than others.

As I said earleir its all about choice.

EdS

Horse for courses really.

I suppose most of my gear is for climbing/ mountain/grubbing around first and bushcrafting second. I don't tend to expensive gear as it all wears out more or less at the same rate. What "posh" gear I've got has be in sales, seconds or special deals via 3 parties - some at stupidly low prices (£35 for Berghaus storm jacket, £55 for pair of Lowa gore tex combat boot). The only really expensive kit that I paid full price for is my Aguille rucksacs as the are comfy (most important I feel), very well built and last for ever. If there is any damage they'll repair them no questions asked.

Gary - I tend to agree with you about knives. It just a tool same as a screw driver or spanner. I do like hand made tool, they tend to feel good, but I want something that I don't mind abusing and can afford to replace (Kellam pukko my personal choice).

Each to their own no 2 peoples needs or likes are the same.

Personal favourite bit of outdoor kit - a waterproof, polystrene bead filled cushion bought at Glastonbury a few festivals ago. So comy, warm and no more wet bum. - its even Rip stop camo on the top!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE