Survival: What To Do When It All Goes Wrong

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
The reason for the title of this post is - it was the title of an article I just read in a well known US hunting magazine. Sounded like a good article, so I opened up the magazine and read it.

It sure wasn't what I was expecting. All of the advice was geared toward things to do so Search and Rescue could find you. Not that this isn't important. It might save your life.

There were several predictible things. Let someone know where you are going and when you'll return. Make a big SOS in a clearing. Make three campfires or smudges. Wave bright cloth. Use mirrors.

There were also some high tech things. Something called a PLB (personal locator beacon) topped the list. Cell phones were in there too (etc. etc.)

There are times when you need help from others. There are even times I would have liked help from others - and it wasn't there. I've been lost overnight while deer hunting - in the rain. I've fallen through the ice while snowshoeing - once I was completely immersed. I've been out in low temps and capsized my canoe in wilderness areas. I've been lost in arid mountain areas with water running low.

Point is, no one was ever available to "find" me in these situations, and my first thought was, "What can I do to deal with this situation?"

I'd enjoy hearing accounts of how people on this forum have taken responsiblity for their own survival - doesn't have to be dramatic - or how you prepare to deal with possible survival situations. I get a little tired of people who don't have the initiative to take care of themselves (God knows I deal with enough of them every day).

Of course the first advice I would give is, "Don't panic." The second is, "Believe in yourself." The third is, "Make a plan and do one thing at a time."

PG

Topcat02

Settler
Aug 9, 2005
Dymock, Gloucestershire
When I was a Scuba Instructor, it was drilled into me to have a dive plan and stick to it, to have provided someone with details of where I was going, how long I would be there, and expected time of return.

All the equipment should be checked, and re-checked, first aid equipment should be complete and in date, and all spares maintained properly.

I've been on a liveaboard in the Red Sea, and found myself about 200m from the boat, with the rib whizzing around furiously trying to locate me. Whilst this only lasted for 15 mins, it certainly got my heart rate up.

I had a signal mirror, air horn, etc, but the swell meant that I could just see the boat, but they couldnt see or hear me. If it had been night time, my strobe would have meant it was easier to locate me, but fortunately I was picked up long before it got dark.

So I guess what I am saying is that you have to be prepared, have a plan, let someone responsible know where your going, and what to do if you dont return, but on the other hand, you should have the basic skills to be able to look after yourself until you are able to return to civilisation or are located.

Lifthasir

Forager
Jan 30, 2006
East Yorks
Pierre,

I spent years backpacking England and Wales. I can honestly say that there is
hardly a place which isn't far from some sort of help. Obviously, severely broken
legs are a threat just a few miles from safety.

The countryside is littered with remote crofts, farms, hamlets etc. and they
are all marked on the map. So as long as people know roughly where
you're going and for how long you should be ok (provided you have the sense
to pack emergency provisions and a survival bag).

The main thing I always do is plan lots of emergency routes. Plan B's. Emergency routes, emergency water.

Of course, in winter - a few miles makes all the difference. However, bad
weather seldom lasts longer than a few days.

It's generally ignorance or really bad luck (falling off/down something) which
kills in the UK. Inappropriate clothing/kit, inexperience, not telling people
where they've gone etc. can't use a map and compass etc..

Scotland is much more remote but I haven't had much experience up there. It's
usually Scotland that accounts for the most deaths each winter.

Weather conditions can turn on a six-pence in the UK so any inadequacy in
kit/clothing, emergency rations can be quickly exposed. I guess it's similar to
your end but on a much smaller scale.

redflex

Need to contact Admin...
No matter the plan things can go wrong, you just have to have faith in others.

You can have all the kit and training but sometimes you will not be able to use it.

I have GPS, mobile etc but still when working out in remote area (mainly in the highlands of Scotland or not Herefordshire) carry flare, basic but it works well needs no signal or battery.

charley beale

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2006
South
Topcat02 said:
When I was a Scuba Instructor, it was drilled into me to have a dive plan and stick to it, to have provided someone with details of where I was going, how long I would be there, and expected time of return.

All the equipment should be checked, and re-checked, first aid equipment should be complete and in date, and all spares maintained properly.

I've been on a liveaboard in the Red Sea, and found myself about 200m from the boat, with the rib whizzing around furiously trying to locate me. Whilst this only lasted for 15 mins, it certainly got my heart rate up.

I had a signal mirror, air horn, etc, but the swell meant that I could just see the boat, but they couldnt see or hear me. If it had been night time, my strobe would have meant it was easier to locate me, but fortunately I was picked up long before it got dark.

So I guess what I am saying is that you have to be prepared, have a plan, let someone responsible know where your going, and what to do if you dont return, but on the other hand, you should have the basic skills to be able to look after yourself until you are able to return to civilisation or are located.

Hi Topcat

I saw a very scary film along these lines where scuba divers were left behind by diving boat - am sure you've heard of it (Open Water). What is your view on the likelihood of this happening?

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Spikey DaPikey said:
Off topic, but i found that film really quite dire :eek:

I didn't see the film, but I think my survival advice in that situation might be something on the order of "Keep treading water, but be prepare to kiss your *** goodbye."

PG

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Stuart said:
I have never been lost or in a survival situation but I have stopped for a cup of tea on many occasions :rolleyes:

Definitely good advice for a situation where you are lost.

There are times when you need to act immediately though, and It is important to prioratize and above all, not to panic. A couple of times came to mind.

One of the times I fell through the ice, I was snowshoeing down a river when I fell through. I was many miles from home and it was minus 20 F. The snowshoes were under the ice, though I'd thrown myself foreward and managed to keep the upper half of my chest from getting in the water, the barrel and stock of my gun, under each armpit, helped to keep me from going straight through the hole. The river current was bad, and it was pulling me so I couldn't get the snowshoes to where I could loosen the harness straps.

Solution: Much as I wanted to keep those snowshoes, they were less important than my life. I took my knife and, one at a time, bent my knees so I could cut the harness strap off my heel (I was able to hold onto each snowshoe, when I grabbed the tail and pushed it down to get my toe out of the harness, but that's not the point - I'd already decided they were not worth my life).

Next, was fire. I'm sure If I'd have decided to run home (a strong temptation) I would have froze. It was very cold, but I was able to get to shore and do the fastest job of gathering wood, tinder, and kindling that I've ever done. I had two shotgun shells, a waxed 16 gauge inside a 12 gauge, with matches. By the time I got a match out, I was having a hard time holding it. I had to use two hands to hold the match, but I was able to get it lit and get the fire going. I was numb all over. My face was so cold I couldn't spit. I felt like lying down, but knew I couldn't I gathered large amounts of drift and fed the fire until I could feel the heat. One side of me would be burning, the other freezing, depending on which side was toward the fire.

When I started to thaw just a bit, I began to remove my clothing. I had to cut my moggasin laces as I just couldn't get them undone. I placed each piece of clothing near the fire until it got wet again. Then I wrung them out and placed them on sticks near the fire until they began to steam. I'm glad no one came along with a camera. I was naked as a jaybird in the middle of winter.

When my hands and fingers began to thaw, it was all I could do to keep from screaming. I know I had tears in my eyes.

The worst was my feet, which I couldn't feel at all. I even dragged over a log and sat on it to put them up by the fire. I massaged them, and I couldn't see any sign of frost bite, but I was very concerned. I kept moving them. After a bit, I would get a terrible pain in them every once in a while, but I kept having to get up and warm up other parts, or move my clothes and mocs so they wouldn't burn. When your feet start to thaw, it's like when your leg's gone to sleep, but very pronounced and painful.

When my clothes were mostly dry, and my moc liners were at least partly dry, the sun began to go down and it started to get colder. I dressed. I had unraveled a piece of rope I had in my pack and used it for moc laces and for a squaw hitch for the snowshoes. I moved as fast as I could all the way home, but by the time I'd reached home, I couldn't feel my feet again. I put my feet in a pan of lukewarm water, and eventually they began to thaw. The water seemed like it was boiling. It is a terrible pain, but most welcome, considering the alternative.

Will add the other instance later.

PG

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
On a recent first aid course run by mountain rescue personell we had a discussion about letting people know you were in trouble, and the main thing that has helped people is the orange plastic bivvy bag. Not so much as a shelter but as a marker, if they are out people report seeing them and they stand out in the mountains.
We discussed the use of PMR radios, was there a recognised channel or procedure if you have one and I was told that they are basically no use, due to the minimal and variable(due to location) range. I have one that stays in my bag, they get used a lot for scouting activities and I thought it would give you a bigger shouting range if nothing else, as long as someone knows which frequency you are using, but the reliability is too much of an isssue for them to be reccomended. A mobile is more reliable apparently.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
The other instance happened this fall and was not, strictly speaking, a bushcraft affair. I received a call of an accident in the middle of the night. I drove as fast as I could to find a pickup truck, with two hunters, had tried to turn in front of a semi tractor hauling a tanker full of gasoline. I ran up to the two hunters, who were in very tough shape, in the roadway.

Their pickup was on fire, the battery and tires were exploding, as well as all their ammunition and some of the tires on the tanker. I began dragging one of them toward the ditch, when a passing motorist, who'd doubtless just taken a first aid course, began screaming at me that I couldn't move them as they might have spinal injuries. He was in a panic.

I ignored him and he stepped in front of me, as if to block me. I explained to him, very sweetly, that I was going to knock all his teeth down his throat if he didn't get out of the way, and dragged first one, then the other of the hunters to the ditch, which sheltered them from the exploding ammo, tires, etc (it was a real war zone). I then dragged them down the ditch parrallel to the tanker until I judged they were out of danger if the tanker let loose (it never did - some very brave firemen got there quick and kept spraying the tanker with water).

The first aider was right - in a normal accident. In this case, the possibility that the hunters wouldn't have to worry about their spines, or anything else, if they'd stayed where they were - outweighed that particular rule of first aid. Both hunters recovered (no spinal injuries), and it has gotten so I go the other way when I see them. One thank you will do it.

PG

Lifthasir

Forager
Jan 30, 2006
East Yorks
Pierre...you did the right thing re. the suspected spinal injury. First rule is to
remove the hazard or the patient from the hazard - especially if the hazard
is about to go up like Bonfire Night.

I think your first story highlights the most important point regarding your original
post. Attitude. In your scenario, you probably made small mistakes which
(in hindsight) you may different the next time. I'm not sure what they were, but I'm sure you've had thoughts. I don't think such things matter too much so
long as you have the attitude to get stuff done. 10/10 for keeping at it!

Good attitude means that you are ready and prepared. Poor attitude follows that
you won't be prepared, you'll take unnecessary risks.

You don't know how lucky you are living in your neck of the woods. I'm going to
my wife's dacha in the summer - big foresty bit on the Finnish-Russian border.
Her brother knows all the mushrooms and I'm hoping to finally learn them this
year. The nature is so different to the UK. It is wild and 'unmanaged' and quite
intimidating to be honest. You can count the number of sizeable forests in the
UK on one hand and a quick zoom on Google Earth will show you how small
they are. The larger ones are managed Forestry Commission ones which are
mainly non-native conifer plantations.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Lifthasir said:
I'm going to
my wife's dacha in the summer - big foresty bit on the Finnish-Russian border.
Her brother knows all the mushrooms and I'm hoping to finally learn them this
year. .

You know, I've never really been anywhere, and I envy you the trip. I was supposed to go to Siberia this summer, but I've just discovered the trip issupposed to be in June, not August, and I can't get vacation then.

I've heard the older Finns say Karelia and Finland are much like here,

How did you and your wife meet?

PG

Topcat02

Settler
Aug 9, 2005
Dymock, Gloucestershire
charley beale said:
Hi Topcat

I saw a very scary film along these lines where scuba divers were left behind by diving boat - am sure you've heard of it (Open Water). What is your view on the likelihood of this happening?

Unfortunately it did happen, the incident occurred in Oz a few years back, and caused quite a stir in the diving community.

No one knows what happened to the two divers, as nothing was found for ages. Eventually one of the divers bouyancy jacket was found washed up on a shore, but the divers were never located.

The film was an amateur one, but did show how easy it is to slowly drift from your boat, how small a diver is in the ocean, and how difficult it is to be found.

If you were in the sea, and the weather was reasonably calm, you would have sufficient bouyancy in your wet-suit, and bouyancy device to float like a cork for as long as you wanted.

A diver in the Red Sea about 4 years ago was also left by his boat, but was able to swim towards a near by island, (current was in his favour) where he was picked up the next day.

Cheers

TC

Woods Wanderer

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 26, 2006
lincolnshire
mine are all trivial, but i always yous my same attertude and way of thinking just stop and think but think like your advising somone else (makes it much easyer to think strate) plus dont get scared get conserned (the next step from scared is panic but the next step from conserned is thought) and when your not in a situation play the 'what if' game (think of what to do in any likely situiations then a solution ) my situations were when i lived in cyprus i went for a bike i and took a wrong turn i happened to find myself way into the turkish border, another was when i was diving i got to the bottom and found i had forgot to turn the air back on so half way through a breath the air in the tubes ran out, now i new what to do and without breathing exersizes i could hold my breath for 2 minutes so i was safe, and third this winter we had a bit of snow so i went out to the woods an hours bike ride away when i got there all my usual tinder was all snowy so i put it in my pocket to dry got some cramp ball to boost it then whent to get a dinner of cattail without thinking i allowed to get my feet wet nothing felt wrong or different so i carryed on found some more tinder and wander aroundmy toes were numb but i thought the fire will sort that out a while later i got back to my shelter my toes were painful and the rest of my foot wouldnt feel anything and i was shivering but a fire was on its way so i got down to make my fire oops i only had a stamp sized piece of charcloth not a problem had a cramp ball i spent an hour trying to burn the wet tinder by then it had all crumbled away by now my feet were really pain full but im a optimist so i went to get more tinder i stumbled 5 meters then had to stop i was falling about my ankles were numb and hurting so i stumbled back and it seemed to take forever now the hailstones came so i got into my leanto got my blanket out and took ages taking my boots of by catching them inbetween a branch and the ground then rubbed them for 45 mins then rang my socks out my otimisime going down with the light,i put my boots back on and started peeling birch bark to make more tinder and found some pine needles found another crampball as i had no charcloth left when i got back to the shelter my hands wouldnt work properly so i skined my knukles on the flint a few times now my feet were freezing again my legs were numb my hands were as usful as paws and it was dark so i used my head and went home, when i got home i tryed to get past mum without her noticing but she saw me i had no energy to make excuses i was close to tears cos my feet hurt my whole body was really cold she got my dad who has seen people go down with hypothurmia and frost bit and said i was close to frost biten i ran a bath and got in it i coundnt feel the heat then my feet thawed and it was worse than any injection day from school.

if you put up with my grammer and spelling then you can see everywhere i went wrong and i do to, but any advise would be welcome.
Now i take a second pair of socks and a backup way to light my fire and dont let my feet get wet ,nature chastised me that day for being to cocky and stupid but we all need a reminder now and then now i wont end up like them wallys dying for no reason, if i didnt go out that day i would estimate my lifespan to be another 10 or 15 years if i was lucky. talk about silly iv got a bet on at work that ill live to be 45 ha ha

Topcat02

Settler
Aug 9, 2005
Dymock, Gloucestershire
Hi Woods Wanderer,

Thanks for sharing your tales. I think that you've learnt some important lessons, and will be much better prepared next time, and also know when enough is enough and go for help.

Most people feel embarrassed asking for help, but we shouldnt let pride come before common sense, it's better to get help than become a statistic.

TC

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Saygo!!! PG, try using a long (10'+) sappling held like a tight rope walker when using waterways as a path, we also carry lamp rope to act as E binding material. I also carry spare socks and mocs in a waterproof bag in the toboggan or in a pack.
Where we go no cell net, so trip plan an asset, but 100+ miles in no immediate help except travel companions, choose carefully ;)
Used to travel alone when young and immortal, never was lost always new I was in north america :lmao: now older and a lot more mortal: more careful, waiting for grandchildren to pass on limited wisdom. CG :yo:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE