Survival Tin ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
SCR's comment about paddling is interesting - I know he goes paddling in wild areas of Scotland. I do too, and often worry about tipping the boat, and ending up wet and cold on some loch shore with nothing but my clothes and buoyancy aid. In that situation, death from hypothermia is a real possibility, and in some areas, fire lighting equipment could save your life. Of course, on many lochs, there is nothing to burn.

QUOTE]

In that situation there is really only one very good lightweight product that will save your life...I'm amazed so few people know about them far less use them. I've used a blizzard tube for years. The tube is bigger than the bag and you can get two in it.

http://www.blizzardsurvival.com/product.php/100/blizzard_survival_bag

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I'd agree that is a good idea.

What are they like to sleep in? I guess you get some condensation?

They come shrink wrapped, and the idea is when you need to use it, you rip the shrink wrap off, shake the blizzard bag and it looks a bit like bubble wrap, the shaking inflates the cells giving you air to insulate you and it is wind and water proof. Yes you will get condensation, but the tog rating is some where along the lines of a light quilt. I've never slept in one, but have had one in my grab bag for canoeing for years. After you have used it for real, you can send it back to be shrink wrapped again at the factory or you can use a hoover and do it yourself (you'll never get it back to shrink pack size yourself), you can buy a small stuff sack to keep it in if you have used it. They are multi use, ie you can use it loads of times before needing to replace it.

I'm thinking about buying the military spec jacket version as it has roll down sleeves and would enable you to paddle out if needed.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Even allowing for condensation, the concept is attractive for non-survival use (ie, a planned bivouac.)

Normally minimum overnight kit is 1.5kg for a mid weight sleeping bag plus 300g - 1kg for a bivi bag or tarp/hammock combo. but if you could get a comfy night in a 350g blizzard bag, then multi day trips with a small daysac become achievable.

I think I might get one to try for non emergency use (recognising it will never pack down as small as an unopened one.

Sorry SCR, I seem to be taking the thread off on a tangent.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Mini mess tins - Highlander on the left, BCB on the right :
minimesstins.jpg

Here is a link to the Ritter kit which I think has better quality components and is more functional.
http://www.equipped.org/psp/index.htm

There's a Ritter PSK inside the right hand tin, along with a small locking penknife ;)

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Sorry SCR, I seem to be taking the thread off on a tangent.

Nah, nice bit of kit. I still have the foil ones from the Glasgow Charathon,in 1980 something.

Blizzard bag is a cross between a Bivy Grp Shelter and a foil blanket.

Re- Starvation if you are stuck in the highlands, food will help warm you. I always take some MREs or flapjacks/mint cake but I end up eating it ! not in a survival situation.

I taught a Product Design project two months ago and one pupil asked if the SE Asian kids do survival stuff. She then showed me a website with a 'Family Pack' - tarp, plastic sheets (jackets/ponchos) steri tabs etc. Lucky in our relatively benign Uk land.

I'll get one of the kits and show my 7yr old how to use them, yes, even the fishing kit. On a wee overnighter paddling trip.

I'm away next week, canoe camping, we always try to be at least out of sight of any civilisation to give a wilderness taster.

Nick

jamesraykenney

Forager
Aug 16, 2004
Beaumont, TX
Seems cheap and good value,especially with the box. Anyone got one ?

http://www.genuinearmysurplus.co.uk/pages/products/detail/rowid=927
SURVIVAL KIT IN ALUMINIUM CASE
Product DescriptionPrice: £ 14.50
SUR08

Compact and sturdy water-tight aluminium survival tin.

Contents:
Button compass
Wire saw
Flint and steel
ID whistle
Snare
Waterproof matches
Brass match box
Plasters
Pencil
Fishing pack
Mirror
Safety pins
Dressing
Water carrier
Salt sachet
Razor blade

I think I paid $20.00 usd for the BCB version of that case a while back. Seems to be a good price.
That IS the pound sterling and not the Euro symbol, right? If it is a Euro symbol, then it is a great price.

I wish I could tell the brand of the mag bar that they call a flint and steel.
If it is a no-name brand, then you have to be careful because the ferro rod in them tend to fall out and can be lost.
A real Doan(spelling???) mag bar is the only one I would trust completely, but any of them can save your life. Even if you do not use the magnesium block, they still make a decent fire steel.

ONE snare will not do you much good.
It seems like a nice kit to START a survival kit with.
The case looks like it has a LOT of extra space that could be used to build a very complete large pocket kit with.

BUT, I would not want to get caught with that kit in Great Brittan...
Would not the razor blade constitute a fixed blade, and get you arrested???:eek: :lmao:
You know... that was meant as a joke, but, has that ever come up?
It would seem to fit the definition of a fixed blade knife. Maybe I should post a question in the law forum???:confused:

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I think w00dsmoke was spot on regarding the Blizzard Survival Bag and Jacket, the UK Military selected Blizzard Survival Bags and Kit after some extremely thorough real life testing in which the Blizzard consistently out performed every other type.

Other Military and Rescue services chose Blizzard for the same reason.

Another worthy, tiny and lightweight item is the Aerovest, http://www.aerovest.com/

As has already been stated, a canoeist or kayaker is more at risk from hypothermia (having NOT drowned), than any other factor.

A grab bag is only of use if actually grabbed, and retained!

The only real means of ensuring that you will have the equipment which will save your life, is if it is actually on your person at all times as you may not be able to rely on anything which is not secured on yourself.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I've got a survival tin ... Made it up myself, sometimes carry it with me in the woods for fun ... Think we should do a poll amongst our 8.756 members: who did ever lost his backpack with full kit, other than theft or war/combat situation? ;)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I've got a survival tin ... Made it up myself, sometimes carry it with me in the woods for fun ... Think we should do a poll amongst our 8.756 members: who did ever lost his backpack with full kit, other than theft or war/combat situation? ;)

Been there..... well, almost. I had to dump my pack after an unexpected tumble landed me in a river - luckily I recovered it at the point I'd intended crossing the river. The experience moved me back towards a more natural way of experiencing travelling and learning to not rely on hi-tech kit.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Ahjno,

You clearly lack the ability to read and interpret the obvious fact that my statement referred to canoeists and kayakers whom, in an emergency, may not be able to grab and retain their grab bag.

Canoeists and kayakers tend to secure their kit, not in backpacks on their backs, but in barrels, dry bags, plastic tubs and expensive waterproof cases (and lots of bin bags).

Almost without exception, ALL of their kit will be secured to their craft to ensure that it does not become lost through drifting out of reach, sinking or both, in an emergency.

Hence the use of a grab bag, IF it can be grabbed and retained, if not, .....well, that's where my last point hits home.

Rather than conduct a poll amongst your quoted 8.756 members, you may care to research actual instances in which experienced, motivated, well equipped outdoors travellers became separated from their fully equipped backpacks and had to rely on just what they carried on their person, in non warfare or theft scenario's.

Instances of this type have occurred in built up areas in western countries as well as more remote locations.

Thankfully, you have fully equipped yourself with your self made up survival tin, which you 'sometimes' carry with you 'in the woods for fun'.

No doubt Doug Ritter could learn a lot from you!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Think about what you carry on you when out and about in the woods and hills, you should already have some stuff with you.

Typical for me is
Mora knife and fire steel in a Dougster leather sheath
Ever reliable Nokia 6310 in holder (and ziplock if wet weather)
Turbo flame lighter
Small pack of Kleenex (wipe my specs, nose or light a fire)
Leatherman PST

There you go, I can wipe my nose, clean my specs and do an E.T.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Ahjno,

You clearly lack the ability to read and interpret the obvious fact that my statement referred to canoeists and kayakers whom, in an emergency, may not be able to grab and retain their grab bag.

Canoeists and kayakers tend to secure their kit, not in backpacks on their backs, but in barrels, dry bags, plastic tubs and expensive waterproof cases (and lots of bin bags).

Almost without exception, ALL of their kit will be secured to their craft to ensure that it does not become lost through drifting out of reach, sinking or both, in an emergency.

Hence the use of a grab bag, IF it can be grabbed and retained, if not, .....well, that's where my last point hits home.

Rather than conduct a poll amongst your quoted 8.756 members, you may care to research actual instances in which experienced, motivated, well equipped outdoors travellers became separated from their fully equipped backpacks and had to rely on just what they carried on their person, in non warfare or theft scenario's.

Instances of this type have occurred in built up areas in western countries as well as more remote locations.

Thankfully, you have fully equipped yourself with your self made up survival tin, which you 'sometimes' carry with you 'in the woods for fun'.

helixpteron, that sarcasum and condesending manner is not needed at all.
I don't think Ahjno was referring to you in his post - you just happened to have posted before him.
I think the point he's trying to make is what are the chances of needing a PSK?
Of course that doesn't get over the fact that when you need something like that you really NEED it!
It's personal choice. I don't carry one when in the UK because I carry a knife and a phone which is all I need in the areas I routinely go. However, when I went trekking around the jungle last year the PSK was never taken off from around my neck. Fortunately I didn't need it but it was close just in case.

Mark

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Buckshot,

There was no sarcasum and condesending manner in my post, as you state.

Nor was there any sarcasm and condescending manner in my post!

You assume knowledge of whether Ahjno was actually referring to me in his post, and to the point that he was actually trying to make in that post.

I believe that Ahjno's post referred directly to my point regarding losing one's kit and having to rely on that which is carried on the person.

You assume an in-depth knowledge as to the mindset of members whom post, yet when you use your position as a Mod to publicly criticise me, you cannot even spell the words of criticism which you attribute to me!

The object of a forum is for members to express their own opinions, not for a Mod to attribute their own interpretation of what that members opinion may be.

That apart, thanks for the response.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Ahjno,

Helixpteron,

THIS post is referring to you, as oppossed to my previous post. If there's anyone here who lacks the abillity to read and interpret, it's you Sir. If I would have referred to your post, that happened to be the one before mine, I would have used the Quote-system. My comment was more random and Buckshot is right by saying I was aiming at what the chance is you need a PSK.

I'm glad to see you care about me and are thankfull for the fact I equipped myself with a PSK ... (you obviously never been into dutch woods, are you?)
Doug Ritter is more than welcome to my neck of the woods though. And I love to learn him some tricks :)

Buckshot,

There was no sarcasum and condesending manner in my post, as you state.

Nor was there any sarcasm and condescending manner in my post!

You assume knowledge of whether Ahjno was actually referring to me in his post, and to the point that he was actually trying to make in that post.

I believe that Ahjno's post referred directly to my point regarding losing one's kit and having to rely on that which is carried on the person.

You assume an in-depth knowledge as to the mindset of members whom post, yet when you use your position as a Mod to publicly criticise me, you cannot even spell the words of criticism which you attribute to me!

The object of a forum is for members to express their own opinions, not for a Mod to attribute their own interpretation of what that members opinion may be.

That apart, thanks for the response.

You believe my post refered directly to your point losing kit. That assumes an in-depth knowledge to my mindset aswell. Pot-kettle-black to me ...
Apart from that: make sure your comments are based on facts, instead of 'believe'.

I won't comment on this subject, as I've got some better things to do than OT this thread. If you feel the need, you're more than welcome to PM me.

I've reported both your posts. You're way out of line here.:nono:

ATB
Johan

PS - Must thank you, as you've written my forumname without any errors :D :You_Rock_

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I appreciate that this has cooled down a little, well I at least hope so. :D

You're a bit quick with the guns there helixpteron and very petty to pick on spelling when we all make typing errors, well, most of us do.

Anyway, so as not to drag this out and take the thread completely out of subject I'll just ask very politely that you do not jump on people like that again and that you think before posting, it helps avoid all this time wasting that we're forced to participate in.

apologies and all that I'll leave to your integrity.

If you can't resist, don't post.

Hope all is well now and the thread can get on track again, sorry about the obstacles to your reading :D

Compact and sturdy water-tight aluminium survival tin.

Contents:
Button compass
Wire saw
Flint and steel
ID whistle
Snare
Waterproof matches
Brass match box
Plasters
Pencil
Fishing pack
Mirror
Safety pins
Dressing
Water carrier
Salt sachet
Razor blade

well, the tin itself looks solid to me. and unlike those cheap fishcan-style tins you can open and close it and check the contents and the lid will not open itself by accident.

but: why do they pack a "flint and "steel" and waterproof matches? do they expect the "flint" to fail? and why waterproof matches? according to my experience they are NOT waterproof(independent from producer) and tend to coat the striking surface with the wax and then they will not ignite. a waterproof match container makes in my opinion more sense.
and one snare? i would say you need at least half a dozen. and what size of animal are the talking about-rat?squirrel?rabbit?something bigger? and no cord?
and a pencil without paper to write on?
and what for is the sachet of salt?
for a short-term situation this tins might be o.k. but i would rather make my own, based on my experience, where i go and what i'm planning to do- then you know exactly what's inside and how reliable it is. and for a longer trip a belt pouch with some items (in case you get separated from your backpack)plus your knife and a bigger pouch with additional stuff in your backpack seems a much better idea to me.

"disappointed by the monkeys, god created man. then he renounced to further experiments." mark twain

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE