Survival Scarf / Shemagh Combo.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
Personally i find the shemaghs a little too bulky when used as a scarf and a little too small when used as a head covering.
I prefer a cheche. Made of thin cotton, 5 or 6 feet long and about 2 feet wide or so.
It's long enough to wrap round the head and tuck in with some spare to use as a face covering for those desert trips.
thin enough to not get uncomfortable when wearing as a scarf too.

There is a rumour the French Forgein Legion chaps used to wash their face with one end, their bum with the other end and clean the gun with the middle section - just don't get the ends mixed up!
Not convinced on this myself...
To me that explains the constant pinkeye they all have. Maybe the gassy beer at their barracks, was to help with exfoliation….

• Haha
Reactions: probie and TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Personally i find the shemaghs a little too bulky when used as a scarf and a little too small when used as a head covering.
I prefer a cheche. Made of thin cotton, 5 or 6 feet long and about 2 feet wide or so.
It's long enough to wrap round the head and tuck in with some spare to use as a face covering for those desert trips.
thin enough to not get uncomfortable when wearing as a scarf too.

There is a rumour the French Forgein Legion chaps used to wash their face with one end, their bum with the other end and clean the gun with the middle section - just don't get the ends mixed up!
Not convinced on this myself...

Last edited:

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Never got on with a shemagh and I've bought a few, Algeria, Morocco, Oman, Pakistan. I always felt the material lacking. The idea's okay just not the material.

I've just read this back to myself and note the 'ideas okay'... it seems to have worked for most of the Middle East for a couple of centuries of two. Idiot.

• Haha
Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I think the general 'vibe' between Mors large Scarf ,smaller survival scarf Arabian Shemagh , Cheche is that a general piece of material that can offer multi-use attire and utility IS possible.

As to what size and form that may take I'm not too sure. I do tend wear Shemaghs a fair bit in this country but fancy it could be improved in some way.

Reactions: SCOMAN

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
See you got some useful size information. To be honest had a lot of kit clear out and mine wasn’t used very much.
Worth I try experimenting though.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I like my scrim scarf but can’t wear the green one, wouldn’t feel right wearing it in civi street so mines black. Fits in the pocket and is warm and comfortable around the neck.
My shemagh is used a little less but again never found the right colour.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
RANDOM DIMS.

Neil design is 5m Length ( no width mentioned )

The Tuff possum measures 17" x 58" https://www.americanoutdoor.guide/news/carry-kit-confidence/

Kepharts 2 1/2 feet wide by 6 1/4 feet long

" 6' 6" x 3' "Survival Scarf" to a 2' x 4' military scarf, to a 22" x 22" bandana..."

Shemaghs seems to vary from 44" x 44" to 47" x 47"

Another suggestion for the full length Mors Scarf is "Height plus a hand , Shoulder width plus a hand "

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Currently what I'm thinking - open to feedback and ideas. This maybe too long in effect. -

SCARF.png

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Actually I've just realised I tend to wear Shemaghs a fair bit but never wear them folded like a rectangle but rolled up along the hypotenuse.

Back to the drawing board!!

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
Can I pinch your pattern to have an experiment?

I’ll have to order fabric that is less than 1000d Cordura, sacrilege!

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
So I'm quite a fan of my Shemagh , not in a pretending I'm a sneaky-beaky PMC desert ninja :) , but more in a tie around my neck like one of Baden's Scouts , its a useful bit of kit to carry for a small multitude of use and adds quite a level of warmth and insulation if correctly wrapped around the neck.

So for some time I've been wondering if I could create a more enhanced version? something with even more uses and specifically made to be a multi use item for woodland trips and 'travelling light' type survival exercises.

Now I've just watched this vid on the Survival Scarf as defined by Mr K.

[video=youtube;b2P1iGc8CVw]

So , an open design question to try and incorporate the two ( Scarf and Shemagh ), what features would you try and include? material? design? anything else??
lol. survival scarf? whatever next. Made me laugh. I might work on a pair of survival underpants:)

• Haha
Reactions: Ozmundo

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
lol. survival scarf? whatever next. Made me laugh. I might work on a pair of survival underpants:)

Old idea to be fair.

< Hmmm the sharing feature has been disabled on the above but if you search for Mors Kochanksi survival scarf you should find the original >

( Must admit I didn't realise you DID wear underpants ?? :) )

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
I had a shemagh when I was hitch hiking round europe in the 80s. It was my towel. pillow, a bag, picnic cloth. mozzy net and a scarf. Cost me £2 off one of the senegalse street sellers in Italy. Had it years. Ime just looking at the one I got now which is presently acting as the door curtain on my tent x

Reactions: Ozmundo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE