Supermoon total eclipse of the sun 20-03-15

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Yeah, Faroe Islands get the best of it, and Norway comes a close second.

I remember the last one 16 years ago. Was weird being dark during the day.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Make a pinhole camera to watch!
Really big cardboard box. Cut a 2" hole in one end and cover that with thin metal (kitchen foil, beer can, etc.)
Inside the other end, stick down a sheet (A4?) of white paper as the viewing screen. Cut a head-hole in the side of the box.
_Carefully_ poke a little hole in the metal with a sewing needle. The smoothness of the hole rim determines the sharpness, the size of the hole
determines the brighness.

Now, with your back to the sun, the image of the sun will be projected on the paper. The bigger the box, the bigger the image.
Dad found a cardboard tube, a huge thing which had been inside a roll of carpet (12' long, maybe?). We propped up the pinhole end
on a stepladder, smallish box with viewing holes in it at the other end. Not a toy that you can use every day.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Yeah, Faroe Islands get the best of it, and Norway comes a close second.

I remember the last one 16 years ago. Was weird being dark during the day.

Yep I agree with that. The only time i've experienced anything like it was when the tornado went down. Dark during the day then too

Thanks dog oak, I would not have known

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yup, build a pinhole camera, the best (and safest) way to watch.

I saw the one in 1999...its one of the most impressive sights in the world.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I remember watching the eclipse in 1973. Not quite total where we were. I watched its reflection in a bowl of water.

Z

Caerleon

Feb 9, 2015
West Mid's
I've got a meeting with my boss at 09:30 hrs :dunno:- desperately thinking of a decent excuse to be late! - fairly clear skies here too which doesn't happen to often in Snowdonia!

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
My lad has a driving lesson, I told him if the sky suddenly goes dark not to worry it's only the end of the world.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
We have 2 military helicopters patrolling the skies... curious..... flying in formation. They've passed our house twice now.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Well, i found it slightly anticlimatic, but was with a real astronomy nerd, who loved it.

It seemed to fool some of the songbirds, who thought it was dusk, and flew in a direct line to their roosts, but not others, and it did become slightly nippier.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
The blackbirds locally thought it was dusk and started their evening song. Cars had their lights on. The sky was cloudless, but it was gloomy. Eerie.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE