Suggestions for suitable boots for Aussie outback please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I've lived and worked a bit in australia. I can also recommend blundstones, in fact I'm wearing a pair 500 right now (although with woolen felt insoles). Good for walking, riding and the general mucking about. In fact I wore them in the norweigan mountains on a 5 day trip (my swmbo misinterpreted leather boots when I asked her to pack an hour before my train left and I was at work :)). Seems to have a magic ability to repel sand to.

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
Another vote for Altberg here. Top quality. Also of course can get them made to order for perfect fit. Echo the comments about slip-ons and high arches. Never could make them work for me. Chris

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
As far as I can remember, evreyone wears blundstones (or rather, "blunnies"). But it really depends on exactly where you're going - Australia has just about every kind of terrain on Earth short of Arctic. And there are alpine bits of Tassie that aren't that far short...

I would definitely second the big hat suggestion, but you'd probably be best waiting 'til you get there to buy one. Again, exactly what sort of big hat depends on exactly where you're going.

Warrigal

Nov 11, 2006
Brisbane Australia
Just about everybody wears a hat now. Racking my brain now I think the only style of hat I haven't seen is a "deerstalker" Even widebrim with the corks ( but yes they were Japanese) Depending where you go the further out West you go the more wide brims you'll see. Half way out more caps ( Baseball style) but anything goes.
Don't buy R M Williams boots or clothing, nothing wrong with the quaility but they are now a fashion accessory and way over priced same with Akubra hats. Drizabone coats great if you sitting on in a horse on a mountain in a snow field but far too hot to walk in.
Long range weather forecasters are hinting towards harder Winters ( the last couple have been pretty mild) Victoria's mountains did snow just after Christmas "06 ( middle of Summer) Melbourne has the reputation of the most deranged weather forecasters in the country. As the joke goes "visit Melbourne and experiance 23 cultures and four seasons in one day"
Both Sydney and Melbourne cbd"s will be over priced but a giggle hat
http://www.gascatch.com/store/images/bushat.JPG
should cost under $AUD10 from any outter suburb camping shop
The best insect repelent is Bushmans if you have kids with you get the 20%DEET spray with sunscreen. Just adults use the 80% sunscreen gel. ( green tube< $10)
http://www.bushman-repellent.com/products.htm
Don't bother with the non-sunscreened one, The difference between the two concentrations is the period between re-application. But higher concentrations can be bad for mucus membranes ( so don't use the higher one if you suck your thumb or pick your nose.
Carl

BOD

Stay away from the yuppie hat and clothes brands.

Try a Jacaru hat. They are tough. Mine have repeated salt and fresh water immersions and several bush trips to their credit and still going strong

http://www.jacaru.com/australian_leather_hats/hats.htm

If you are going serious bush make sure the boots fit right. Its not all easy walking

George River

DSCN0239-1.jpg

The Pilbara

DSCN0253.jpg

The Ashburton

DSCN0130.jpg

Nov 11, 2007
essex
Hi quite new to the forum my suggestion is try the american issue jungle boot they are spike resistent let your feet breath and with a good insole are comfortable to walk in,and light weight and hard wearing.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Perth?

My home town.

Those pics are up north.Enjoy your trip. lots to see

Johan, Sure that what most people are told. But Matt is BCUK so that different

Yes, those pics are superb Bod, I especially like the bottom one. Forgive my ignorance but is that the Ashburton River? What's the situation with rivers and crocs? Or rather, how will I know that crocs might be around aside from any warning signs?

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
I havent been to Oz but can only agree with Jebediah's suggestion of a pair of Rogue Rangers - I have a pair which I wear for work they are comfortable, seem to let your feet breath and have good soles for walking. Not waterproof but I would think thats hardly a consideration out there. At £50-60 they are also very reasonably priced.

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
Perth?

My home town.

Those pics are up north.Enjoy your trip. lots to see

Johan, Sure that what most people are told. But Matt is BCUK so that different

Just had e-mails from two old mining buddies in the last few days: one in Perth; the other in the Pilbara.

Burnt Ash

UKHaiku

Forager
Dec 27, 2007
York, UK
Anyone know if there are any Blundstone stockists in Yorkshire? They look quite interesting... :)

(I googled it, but couldn't find anything..)

BOD

Matt,

Yes that is the Ashburton river.

I wouldn't worry about a croc there its too far south. Different story further north. Are you going to the Kimberly or the Territory?

They are good stalkers so you may not know one is there till you are in its jaws! Ask the locals and your guides who would know.

I don't know much about Australian salties except they are more aggressive than those here. In SouthEast Asia, the locals go after them while they are protected in Oz hence the confidence to attack humans.

I have man-eating croc catching video which I'd like to post here but my eldest daughter has it and is slow to find it. Sigh. Should never have let her keep it.

Ash

In 94 I spent several months in the outback roughing it, we drove an old car very very slowly from Adelaide via the Flinders Ranges along the Oodnadata Track and Ended up in the McDonalds near Alice. We went as far off the tracks as we dared go for walkabout.

Before the trip my folks went into the most expensive department store in Edinburgh and explained what No 2 son was planning, they were sold a rediculously expensive pair of camel desert boots. In addition I took along a pair of lightweight KSBs. The camel boots were ace until I started jumping of wee cliffs into billabongs in the gorges-the inner sole was mainly cardboard and the tacks holding the sole on poked through the crumbling card inner and cut my feet. :eek:

On the other hand the KSB's stood up great and were the comfiest boots most hard wearing I've ever worn. I still wear them (but not the same pair unfortunatley.).

At the moment I wear oakley desert boots for genral dry walking and they are fantastic, so comfortable too. In fact they are so good I wear them at my work and they are comfier than new balance trainers even.

I don't know much about Australian salties except they are more aggressive than those here. In SouthEast Asia, the locals go after them while they are protected in Oz hence the confidence to attack humans.

Sorry to disagree Bod,

Was scared sh*t less and almost attacked by a large croc on the Sengai Kinnabatanga in Sabah....same species of croc as in Northern Territory...or the estuaries in Thailand, Bangladesh.....

The protection does not make them "docile" in my experience....they just grab anything when and where they can... that is the way the have been able to survive all those million years ....

They grab a large boar in Asia, Oz wherever and they (the pigs...) put up a bigger fight then most humans ;-) or ;-(

Salties are the most agressive crocs around.....

Grtz Johan

ps sorry for redirecting the true subject of this post... boots not crocs.... although there might be a link ;)

BOD

Sorry to disagree Bod,

Was scared sh*t less and almost attacked by a large croc on the Sengai Kinnabatanga in Sabah....

ps sorry for redirecting the true subject of this post... boots not crocs.... although there might be a link ;)

:D That's the difference!!

The SouthEast Asian salties are thinking "if this doesn't work, I'm going to be crocodile skin BOOTS":D

Makes them think twice. Aussie salties just think "Here's lunch!"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE