Suggestions for a new pocket camera

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Hello all.

SWMBO needs a new pocket camera, I reversed a Land Rover over her last one. :(
Daunted by the range of brands and models I thought I'd ask for any suggestions from here.

1. Budget around £150 can go higher (or lower) by £50 at a push.
2. Fast to power up and take a picture
3. Good low light abilities without flash
4. Must use SD cards
5. No weird video codecs (so probably not Sony)
6. Easy access to menu settings (timer, flash settings etc.)
7. Must remember settings when powered down (flash etc.)
8. A lens that is capable of wide(ish) angle shots if poss.

Thats my checklist, I probably won't find one that ticks all these boxes however any pointers would be appreciated. :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
You're gonna get a million and one opinions but my choice would be a Panasonic Lumix or a little Nikon. I've got the Lumix FS35 and it takes some cracking pictures.

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Lumix is an excellent camera and Nikons are excellent.

I have an Olympus tough 3000. Its brilliant, robust, shock proof and waterproof. I love the way the instructions tell you to clean dirt off the camera by running it under the tap!!! But its still not a patch on the wife's Lumix.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I hadn't thought about Panasonic, worth a look I'd think. The Ixus Peaks mentions isn't in production I think, however I used to have an Ixus and I got some good use out of it so I'll look at what they have available these days.

Thanks all.

My current camera is an Olympus tough camera, sadly it eventually gave up the ghost after years of abuse, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one though.

Last edited:

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
As has been said many options.

I love my Olympus XZ-1 which can be found at the top that extended price range but within it for S/H off ebay. It can be used with a cable release and external flash and a viewfinder can be added if needed.

These were taken with it shot in RAW and processed in Photoshop but the Jpegs are very good.

This shot was taken rested on a wall

The river Irwell from Brideg st by alf.branch, on Flickr

This shot was taken handheld

China town backstreet by alf.branch, on Flickr

An ex handrail by alf.branch, on Flickr

Chatsworth house 1 by alf.branch, on Flickr

Whitehaven sunset by alf.branch, on Flickr

Last edited:

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
My suggestion is to go somewhere and try a few beware of sales persons pointing you in a certain direction as it is often the latest thing they need to shift.

You here some carp talked in big chain camera shops about certain brands.

You van compare some camera sizes HERE

Last edited:

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Indeed, fabulous shots. I was just at the store looking at the XZ10 which I presume is the replacement for the XZ1, nice looking camera and looks like it will work well in low light. :)

No the XZ-2 replaced the XZ-1.
The XZ-10 is a more compact version not quite as high spec but a good machine for the size.

HERE is a basic review beware of reading the forum views too much as many people work on the basis if Nikon or Canon didnt make it then its useless.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE