Sugar substitute that is actualy useful.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I find it interesting to read the labels on processed foods. So much crap, and can we really trust them?

For example, the ( in Europe) upmarket orange juice Tropicana contains 10.8 grams of sugar per 100 ml. The German economy brand of fruitjuices, Rauch Happy Day, contain 9.4 gram per 100 ml.
So not a huge diffetence, but how come that Tropicana tastes far sweeter than the Rauch?

I suspect that many if those figures given are simply not true.

I suspect that the difference in the sweetness might be the actual meaning of the labels. Are they referring to ALL sugar? Or just ADDED sugar? If the latter, it's likely that Tropicana, being a more premium brand, started out with sweeter oranges (as in fresher oranges before the natural sugar converted to starches/carbs)

That said, the accuracy of the labels is only as reliable as the agencies regulating them (I don't trust any of them either, but for now, they're the best we've got)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Variety, age and growing conditions all influence the taste. . . . like wine grapes. Santaman points out the difference between fruit sugar and "added" sugar."
I've been growing grapes (juice/jelly) for 15 years. Crop quality is almost a crap shoot, just as is the pick date.

I toured a Canadian jam factory some years ago. They were using frozen concentrate in 45 gal lumps, made by a German company in Argentina.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The nutritionsl value label is stating ALL sugar in the food.
maybe a different dilution?

Obesity is huge factor in getting Diabetes.
Of course, some people I guess increase their weight fue to the medications, but one of the pain causes is obesity.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Recent research (9,000+ subjects) suggested that workplace stress just might provoke a biochemical trigger for Type II in many instances.
It's possible that my apparent recovery after 10 years of retirement may be a reflection of this? Daily deadlines for decades.

If my memory serves, it seems like it has taken some 5 years or longer for all kinds of numbers (lipids, etc)
to slide back into normal ranges. I commented to the Dr. about this at one visit and he replied that I really was in a bit of a mess when I retired.
Just how long that had been going on, too late to figure it out now.

At the end of the day, it isn't the hay-wire blood sugar values that screw you up. Its the nasty side effects such as atherosclerosis the clog you down.
Unfortunately, it's not something easily corrected without vascular bypass surgeries.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
How about honey?

I drink green tea with honey and a lemon... it's not the tastiest of drinks, but its all right. I enjoy it and apparently its good for the liver. Whether it is or not, makes me feel better than coffee when I've had enough of coffee as a drink.

Manuka honey is a good natural sugar though... I like honey.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I love strong tea, lemon, honey and a good dose of Whisky or Rum.

Honey IS sugar. Fructose and Glukose.

If I was a Diabetic I would ask my Dietist before I indulged too much.

There is no "natural sugar". Sugars are sugars, simple as that! Purified as a white sugar cube, or in the firm of honey.
Sucrose is split up (starting by enzymes in the saliva) into Glucose and Fructose
and absorbed.
And Manuka honey does not have scientifically verified benefits, but it dies contain an antibacterial agent in minute quantities.
If it is Manuka honey in the jar, as the majority of the stuff we buy is heavily diluted or even containing zero Manuka...

Last edited:

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Honey isn't refined sugar though... it is sugar, but its a natural sugar.

When it comes to manuka honey, it has its benefits.... it works for people, but as for it being heavily diluted or zero, manuka honey is manuka honey, honey is honey. Two different products and should be labeled as such.

I dunno Tengu, you'll have to check out whether honey is suitable for your diet now... worth having a natter with those in the know. If you can have it, it makes for a versatile ingredient.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Honey isn't refined sugar though... it is sugar, but its a natural sugar.

When it comes to manuka honey, it has its benefits.... it works for people, but as for it being heavily diluted or zero, manuka honey is manuka honey, honey is honey. Two different products and should be labeled as such.

I dunno Tengu, you'll have to check out whether honey is suitable for your diet now... worth having a natter with those in the know. If you can have it, it makes for a versatile ingredient.

Our bodies do not care if it is purified ( refined) or not. And most honey in shops have been heavily processed.

Be aware the reason why honey should not be given to babies. Botulin bacteria.

According to some testing done in UK recently, most Manuka is heavily or not even Manuka. False labelling to make money.
Same with Olive Oil and other more expensive food stuff.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I'd beg to differ, but then its in internet... we can argue all day, makes not a jot of difference.

Mislabeled manuka... new one on me... but I'll take your word for it.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'd beg to differ, but then its in internet... we can argue all day, makes not a jot of difference.

Mislabeled manuka... new one on me... but I'll take your word for it.

Janne's right regarding honey (or any other "natural" sugar) as far as the diabetic issue goes. it (they) may or may not have health other benefits but as far as the metabolism goes, it raises blood sugar just the same as any other sugar.

If you doubt it though, just ask your dietician as Janne suggested. After all, that's the pro (as opposed to our internet conversation)

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Manuka honey has no proven benefits and is a huge rip off (I have a friend who lives on it...of course the sort of friend who has very little money to begin with...but spurning real food must have financial advantages.)

I have a little honey (cheapest) in my tea, -dip the teaspoon in and let it run off.

I love fruit juice but thats sugary. These days I make what we used to call in the Indian resteraunt a `Henry` 50/50 lemonade and orange juice. (which is very nice and better so if you try different combinations; limeade and grape is one of the nicest. I make this for the communal meal at the Moot.)

I use diet pop and no added sugar juice...still a bit sugary but I only have one glass a day.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Search on "manuka honey fake" and read. Then if you have the interest, check out olive oil, apple juice, orange juice.

I find it scary, not that we are cheated money eise, but that we buy what we believe are healthy products but get either some standard, normal product, or s chemically altered one.

As soon as a product becomes fashionsble, somebody will fame it.

This is not only done by criminals, but states contribute to it by legislation.
Parmeggiano made outside the region and even outside Italy. Just one example.

Personally, to lessen the sugar burden on my body, I have stopped drinking soft drinks. Then I dilute juice with about 1/4 to 1/3 water.

Last edited:

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Manuka honey has no proven benefits and is a huge rip off

I had no idea you'd conducted your own extensive research Tengu... cool! :D

As far as it having no benefits, I've seen its benefits on more than one occasion, so I must have imagined it... anyway, as this is going back and forth, lets end this fascinating debate there eh? :p

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....I have a little honey (cheapest) in my tea, -dip the teaspoon in and let it run off.

I love fruit juice but thats sugary.......

A little every now and then should be fine. The things to remember about fruit juice are:
1) Just a small amount of juice contains the same amount of sugar as the whole fruit (about 4 fluid ounces of OJ) and
2) Some citrus fruits and juices (notably grapefruit) may interact badly with some meds; including some diabetic meds.

......Personally, to lessen the sugar burden on my body, I have stopped drinking soft drinks. Then I dilute juice with about 1/4 to 1/3 water.

Both good approaches. I still drink diet sodas (yeah, I know that's a separate debate in itself) and I've already described how I drink my coffee or tea.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The original wake-up call arose from the interaction of statin medications and grapefruit. The fruit enables excess uptake = overdose.
Recently found a list of 44 meds and the interactions include grapefruit, limes and Seville oranges (marmalade).

Thought this over. Sugar substitutes? I don't use one. Most instances just do without.
Maybe 1 day in 2 weeks, I'm craving a sweet. A dozen Sultana raisins does the job.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
By believing you can get better or even heal. This placebo effect works very well, even on "proper" pharmaceuticals.
But, if it works - why not? The main thing is that we get better!

Also many diseases are Psycho somatic. Those are best to treat with gentle ( natural) meds.

In Uni and during my Post Grad I was involved in a couple of research projects, both a researcher and Test Rabbit.
It was very common to get a 20 -30% improvement or healing from the Placebo med, and maybe 70% improvement from the real med.
20-30% effect from a pill made from flour and wax. N

I love honey. Specially the ones made from Orange groves. Then there is one where the bee hives are placed in Pine forests. The honey is almost black, and has a very resiney flavor. Fantastic in Coffee.

I have tried the fashionable sweet syrups made from Agave and Coconut and so on. Does nothing for me.

I LOVE coffee. I drink it bitter, no sweet taste, except when I make myself a double or triple Ristretto then I feel I need a bit sweetness.

At home I use liquid Stevia, or Honey.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......I LOVE coffee. I drink it bitter, no sweet taste, except when I make myself a double or triple Ristretto then I feel I need a bit sweetness.

At home I use liquid Stevia, or Honey.

Occasionally I want my coffee sweet and when I do I also usually use honey. Most (almost all) of the time though my preference for coffee is:
-strong enough to kill a horse
-black enough to hide the body, and
-hot enough to sterilize the cup

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Occasionally I want my coffee sweet and when I do I also usually use honey. Most (almost all) of the time though my preference for coffee is:
-strong enough to kill a horse
-black enough to hide the body, and
-hot enough to sterilize the cup

There is a traditional Swedish receipe you might like:

Put a nickel in the cup
Pour coffee in the cup, until you do not see the coin.
Pour Moonshine (Vodka will do) in the coffee, until you see the coin again.

Sweeten to taste and remove the coin.

Coffee has to be properly strong!

My dad used to say:
Coffee should be like a Woman
Black
Strong
will leave a bitter taste in your mouth ( when the relationship ends)
( It does not translate well from Czech, but it is OK)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE