Stupid waterproof trainer with gaiter idea

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
I love running. I hate wet feet. I love hills. So why doesn't a manufacturer make a fell running style shoe with an attached and sealed gaiter? To me it seems a genius idea, but to others it probably is plain daft. What do others think? The closest Thing I can think of is the Yeti gaiter, but imagine an all-in-one fell running shoe and gaiter...

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
You'll still end up with wet feet tho... Sweaty wet feet. Surely it'd be better for them to breath?

That's pretty much what I was thinking too, if you make the shoe waterproof and then seal the hole where the foot goes in you're going to get a lot of condensation, even with goretex or event, once they're crudded up they're not going to breath much.
I wear Salomon Speedcross for lightweight hiking trips, paired up with OR Salamander gaiters, I don't mind wet feet though as they dry fairly quickly and I have a change of socks for the evening.

Fell Monkey

Tenderfoot
Apr 4, 2012
South Cheshire
What is it that you hate about getting wet feet? I've done a lot of fell running, wet feet never really bothered me, unless temperature is near freezing, then I wear some waterproof socks. Like others have said, you'l just end up with sweaty and possibly blistered feet. If im taking part in runs longer than an hour I put vaseline on my feet and I wear shoes that let water in and out, that way they stay comfortable. I have tried waterproof shoes, not my choice, just what was available, and found them a pain in the bottom! They keep water in and stay wet even til the next day.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
I can't bear to have wet feet inside my shoes. Just feels horrible to me. I don't suppose it's rational. Like getting out the swimming pool when it starts to rain. It's that moment when you can feel your sock changing from dry to wet. Even worse is waterproof socks inside waterproof boots. Like walking in two mini lakes.

Surely someone could make a pair of lightweight GTX fell runners with a gaiter sewn in. It's a flippin' genius idea.

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
I use sealskinz. Fantastic invention that just work. Are you wanting to wear your running shoes for longer than a day - ie longer than it would take to dry out at home?

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
Gah! I fully understand what Sealskinz do. I just want, in my own, personal mental fantasy world, to create a running shoe for use in boggy conditions such as found on the hillsides of Britain, that has a sewn in gaiter at the ankle which means no water would get into the shoe thus keeping your feet dry. Sealskins would keep one's feet dry but water would ingress into the shoe, thus making the interior of the shoe wet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE