Strange snail/ slug slime anyone?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

relfy

Nomad
I took this picture a few years ago and have written to several wildlife trusts, the natural history museum, some random mollusc societies etc and none of them have actually written back, let alone shed any light on this... maybe they think I'm having them on, but I honestly am not! I've waited until well into April so that you guys dont think its april fools either :rolleyes:

It was on my 'doorstep' one morning late summer (I think it was). My doorstep is the bank of a canal if thats at all relevent. I wondered if perhaps it was some kind of courtship ritual because of the double tracks, one fainter than the other... but I've never heard of such a thing: I've seen snails chasing each other round and when they get into a tight nose-to-tail circle they make a huge glob of slime in the middle, and I've seen slugs hanging up (entwined) in trees on natural history programmes etc. I even dissected one during my degree and you wouldn't believe the size of a snail's... (cough) ANYWAY, point is, I've NEVER seen slugs or snails going about making beautiful celtic designs on stonework!
Does anyone here have any ideas? I know there are some very knowledgeable people on here and I'd be really glad of an explanation, as at the moment I can't decide if its real behaviour/ a one off phenomenon/ my neighbour is up to strange things in the middle of the night.

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

relfy

Nomad
Sorry Relfy, but I can't even see a link :confused:

It's probably me; I'm the original computer clutz :eek:

cheers,
Mary

Rats. Um. I don't know anything either! :) This is the link to the album then: http://bushcraftuk.com/forum/album.php?albumid=33
I'll just go and make sure its not set to private or something if I can find the place to do it...
Thanks for letting me know Mary!
Its odd cos when I logout I can still see them...

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I had to log back in to follow the link :confused: but it works :D

Weird, and no idea what caused those :dunno:
Interesting to find out though :cool:

cheers,
Mary

relfy

Nomad
Cool :D OK, glad you can see em. I hadn't thought of eels.... they do come in all sizes, people glass elver in the river over the wall, but there is a 50 foot sheer wall in between the river and the canal and another foot or two sheer rock face between this spot and the canal water.... but I spose that doesn't necessarily discount the possibility... I'd still like to see how an eel makes those patterns. I really do need some night goggles. There is an otter that uses the bank next to my boat as well, which I've only seen in silhouette and from it leaving fish scales about in unlikely places. And something (badger I think) is digging up the 100 bluebell bulbs I planted and using my garden as a general highway :rolleyes: :D

greeneggcat

Forager
Sep 9, 2005
wet wet gloucestershire
I couldnt see the pics either, was just guessin, mainly coz i dont like them slimey eels! Maybee have to meet up some time, i got some of those night vision things! Its a totally different world i tell ya! bYou can see things you would never guess were there, think it is something to do with the ir light.

My cat is black and white, but through the ir viewer he has, faint tabby stripes and dark rings on his tail???

:)

relfy

Nomad
I couldnt see the pics either, was just guessin, mainly coz i dont like them slimey eels! Maybee have to meet up some time, i got some of those night vision things! Its a totally different world i tell ya! bYou can see things you would never guess were there, think it is something to do with the ir light.

My cat is black and white, but through the ir viewer he has, faint tabby stripes and dark rings on his tail???

:)

Maybe you can only see my pics through night vision goggles :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE