Strange poo or pellets ID help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Found this on walkabout, looks like poo or pellet made completely from beetles. It was near the badger sett and I know badgers eat beetles or could it be little owl? First time I've ever seen one.

P1000761.jpg

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
I've seen something similar, about an inch and a half long, 3/4" dia and made mainly of wasps bodies!!!

Don't think it was badgers though, as it was 2 miles across open moorland and on top of a trig point! :lmao:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
According to Bang and Dalstrom it sounds like a Gull pellet - 8cm long, 2cm wide composed of almost entirely insect (and occasionally just cherry stones)

Red

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Looks like nice wet ground. If it was land-based you'd expect some good traks and sign around it.
Alternatively was it directly under a branch or something suitable for a bird to perch on?

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
As you found it by a badger set id think it was in or on the edge of forest or woodland? ive seen these before made up of lesser stag beetle and ground beetle shells that have been in the hunting grounds of a pair of little owls so by my reconing they was little owl casts (not having seen one chuck one up its an educated guess, location, diet etc ) Badger turd looks like that in the pick when they have good forage of worms and slugs, seems to go through them like a good curry ;)
ps thinking about it there is a badgers set in the vecinity although the casts are small and not in scraped latrenes. Just my take on things :)

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
As you found it by a badger set id think it was in or on the edge of forest or woodland? ive seen these before made up of lesser stag beetle and ground beetle shells that have been in the hunting grounds of a pair of little owls so by my reconing they was little owl casts (not having seen one chuck one up its an educated guess, location, diet etc ) Badger turd looks like that in the pick when they have good forage of worms and slugs, seems to go through them like a good curry ;)
ps thinking about it there is a badgers set in the vecinity although the casts are small and not in scraped latrenes. Just my take on things :)

The 'beetle poo' was found on a footpath which runs through a barley field, the badger sett is along a hedgerow about 50 odd metres away. Funny thing is in the evenings when I've been watching the badgers a little owl has been perched in an oak tree just behind, and to Reds post we get a lot of herring and black backed gulls flying across from the Orwell estuary to the suffolk water park - just to confuse things????

As for the latrines, they are all looking very loose at the moment, later they will contain grain and fruit pips/seeds.

Keep the thoughts coming - thanks.

moko

Forager
Apr 28, 2005
out there
Ive also seen alot of similar sign recently. Unsurprisingly, the nature of these droppings coinsides with a large increase dung beetles / and other beetles in general. I reckon its hungry Badgers making the most of this summer harvest, a perfect woodland food.

Ive seen alot of Owl pellets and in my experience they dont as a rule look like this. Insects do feature on the Owls menu but at this time of year mice, screws and other small furry critters are what ends up on the plate, especially with chicks to feed.

I know Badgers are supposed to use a pre-dug latrines but this is not always the case. Obviously, the contents, colour and texture of sign such as this will change in different seasons as local food availability changes.

Smaller but simular is the hedgehog dropping. Badgers and the humble hog devour many of the same food stuffs hence the simular poo.

Was there any other sign, hair or prints, evidence of digging and so on.

Chhrs, Moko

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Thanks for info moko, as said before, it was found close to an active sett I've been watching, but I've seen a little owl nearby too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE