Strange marking out tool.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
I have spent this evening making some three legged stools for a school production. I marked out the seats to drill holes and thought the angles looked a bit off. I dug out a protractor and it turns out that my 60/30 degree set square is actually 55/35 degree.

I inherited the tool from my granddad. I believe he made it and a 45/45 whilst he was at BAE making Hawk cockpit canopies. They are clear plastic, possibly polycarbonate. He apprenticed as a shipwright with a Yacht manufacturer in Portsmouth and went into the Navy from there. BAE was his last job before retiring.

I don't believe that the 55/35 is a mistake. Does anyone know of a task that would require those angles?

N

Nomad

If it's for drafting mechanical stuff, it might have been used for drawing some types of imperial threads. Whitworth threads are cut at an angle of 55°, whereas metric is cut at 60°. I have a little angle gauge for checking things like threading tools used on a metalwork lathe, and it has V-shapes at 55 and 60° - you stick the point of the cutter into the vee to see if it's a 55 or 60° cutter (and then put it on the lathe and cut screw threads).

The only thing that makes me think twice about this idea is the fact that it's a set square - a right-angled triangle. I'd have thought a thread drafting thingy would be an isosceles triangle (in this case, 55 and two corners at 62.5).

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Elson

Feb 27, 2007
Bulkington Warwickshire
Hi Ben
still use 30 / 60 squares for teaching draughting and tech drawing -I suspect your square is for drawing Isometric projections 3D type views , 30/60 squares are used for convenience whereas the ellipses used for the same projection is something like 33.5 degrees
Hope this helps

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I guess that it was made for a specific job, I have marking squares made to set angles for marking dovetails etc

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
Thank you for your suggestions.

Whitworth thread drawing seems favourite to me. I think granddad was still a maker rather than a designer or draughtsman at the end of his career, but maybe he was doing some drawing.

Site spell check doesn't like Whitworth, grrrr.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE