Stoves dillemma

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Salaud

Nomad
Aug 24, 2011
isle of man
Stoves I have tried and the reasons I dont like em

Trangia/meths cookers.......hate the smell of meths
Gas bottle cookers.....dont want to be reliant on purchasing gas bottles
Bushbox/hobo.....to small...too smokey...no control, sick of burning me sausage...ooohh missus:)
Open/camp fire....not convenient for a quick brew
Hexy/esbit blocks...whats to like ?
Also not ecstatic about covering everything in sticky black smoke residue.

So...the question is....am I missing something obvious here or is this all the options out there? ..
Could always live on cake and butties washed down with a nice stella but , reckon thats probably cheating:eek:

Daddy2coull

Sep 30, 2013
Lowestoft
After reading all the comments and reviews I went for a ghillie kettle. I didn't want to be carry bottles of fuel around with me, but I'm happy to collect a few twigs as I walk along

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
You can't make an omellette without breaking eggs! There's a mess of some sort with any form of heating/cooking, all you can do is minimise it.............I don't like the smell of meths at all, but I sometimes use a Tatonka
burner for when I need to be really quick and I never have to smell the stuff; I've just got it down to the right fuel bottle and the stove seals up tight with fuel still in it so unless you goof up - no smell!

My go-to stove, though, is a woodgas I made myself in half a day; it took me a good while and a fair bit of practice to get the hang of it completely, but by experimenting with different fuels for it (it'll burn almost anything,
but some things like pine cones are the business) and collecting the best ones on the trail it's now clean, lightweight, fast and easy to use. I eat breakfast in the woods four or five days a week winter and summer and I get my two brews and bannock'n'bacon or whatever I'm having in less than half an hour with no mess - get it running right and it burns the smoke and soot - that's the point of it!...................atb mac

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
Keep the first two.
You do not have to rely on gas bottles, only use them primarily, and you only have to put up with the smell of meths if you do run out of gas.

Salaud

Nomad
Aug 24, 2011
isle of man
You can't make an omellette without breaking eggs! There's a mess of some sort with any form of heating/cooking, all you can do is minimise it.............I don't like the smell of meths at all, but I sometimes use a Tatonka
burner for when I need to be really quick and I never have to smell the stuff; I've just got it down to the right fuel bottle and the stove seals up tight with fuel still in it so unless you goof up - no smell!

My go-to stove, though, is a woodgas I made myself in half a day; it took me a good while and a fair bit of practice to get the hang of it completely, but by experimenting with different fuels for it (it'll burn almost anything,
but some things like pine cones are the business) and collecting the best ones on the trail it's now clean, lightweight, fast and easy to use. I eat breakfast in the woods four or five days a week winter and summer and I get my two brews and bannock'n'bacon or whatever I'm having in less than half an hour with no mess - get it running right and it burns the smoke and soot - that's the point of it!...................atb mac
Maybe I should persist with my woodgas, obviously I aint got it set right, I do burn pine cones in it, but find its a bit all or nothing, get it going, chuck in pine cones and I get a big burn for mebbe 3 minutes or so, then, it goes right down, so I chuck in more and whooooff its too hot again. :lmao:

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
I have a coleman unleaded stove for when I'm away camping in the car. Its a great bit of kit, simple to use and I can highly recommend it. I would also recommend you get the filling funnel too as it will save you a lot of hassle when topping it up.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Maybe I should persist with my woodgas, obviously I aint got it set right, I do burn pine cones in it, but find its a bit all or nothing, get it going, chuck in pine cones and I get a big burn for mebbe 3 minutes or so, then, it goes right down, so I chuck in more and whooooff its too hot again. :lmao:

Try building up some embers and cook with those rather than a flame, once you've got it going with the pine try adding some hardwood for better embers.

I use a woodgas stove if I can, failing that I carry a meths stove. If I'm on the move and I want something fast I use gas.

Salaud

Nomad
Aug 24, 2011
isle of man
I have a coleman unleaded stove for when I'm away camping in the car. Its a great bit of kit, simple to use and I can highly recommend it. I would also recommend you get the filling funnel too as it will save you a lot of hassle when topping it up.
Sounds ideal, I will look out for a funnel as well..cheers

Salaud

Nomad
Aug 24, 2011
isle of man
Try building up some embers and cook with those rather than a flame, once you've got it going with the pine try adding some hardwood for better embers.

I use a woodgas stove if I can, failing that I carry a meths stove. If I'm on the move and I want something fast I use gas.
I will try using the embers as you suggest, should reduce my chances of food poisoning from those succulent red centred sausages ...eeeek!! Thanks for that

rg598

Native
Before you select a stove, you have to decide for what you will use it. The terrain and conditions will effect your choices. Are you going to travel above tree line? Are you going to travel in cold conditions and have to melt snow for water? Would you have to use it within a shelter?

All stoves will have a strong and a weak side. There is no idea stove, which does not require you to carry fuel, produces lots of heat, doesn't produce smell, burn cleanly, etc. If you have a problem with the smell of alcohol stoves, you will have a very hard time with a Coleman petrol stove.

I personally use a Kovea Spider remote canister stove. I chose it because it is light, it does not require wood, so I can use it above tree line, it can operate in cold conditions with an inverted canister, and the burn is controlled enough so that I can use it within my shelter. Your choice will probably be different based on the conditions you plan to encounter.

Salaud

Nomad
Aug 24, 2011
isle of man
Before you select a stove, you have to decide for what you will use it. The terrain and conditions will effect your choices. Are you going to travel above tree line? Are you going to travel in cold conditions and have to melt snow for water? Would you have to use it within a shelter?

All stoves will have a strong and a weak side. There is no idea stove, which does not require you to carry fuel, produces lots of heat, doesn't produce smell, burn cleanly, etc. If you have a problem with the smell of alcohol stoves, you will have a very hard time with a Coleman petrol stove.

I personally use a Kovea Spider remote canister stove. I chose it because it is light, it does not require wood, so I can use it above tree line, it can operate in cold conditions with an inverted canister, and the burn is controlled enough so that I can use it within my shelter. Your choice will probably be different based on the conditions you plan to encounter.

I take your point.
I try to eat out in the woods at least 3 days a week, I sleep out 1 or 2 days a week winter and summer (wife permitting) and more often than not try to get a swift brew going when I am shooting, fishing or metal detecting, all of which tends to be remote from my truck, so dont like to be overburdened by weight or more importantly bulk, I am notoriously forgetful and would probably always find I have left a gas cylinder at home !!! but if all else fails I have a firesteel attached to my knife, which i never go out without so....can always get a proper fire going if needed,,,
I was really looking for the impossible..... one lightweight solution for everything :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE