Stove test and shelter recce (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks, i bought a frontier stove after seeing Coln18's set up at the Loch Doon meet up. So i decided to get out and use it before the snow had melted away. Craigm9 came down for the outing also. We used Wooplaw for our spot. The reason was so i could check up on my Artic leanto shelter, which i had'nt seen since Wooplaw 25 at the end of September last year.

When we arrived we first went to check on the shelter, which Craig had not seen in the flesh.

The walk in.
stovemeet7.jpg

The soft lowland hills of the Borders covered in snow.
stovemeet8.jpg

Shelter in the distance, to my suprise looking none to shoddy.
stovemeet9.jpg

Once at the shelter, i was pleased to see that for not being touched in 5 months, the only damage was in the top right hand corner, which is at the foot end. A further dressing of debris will soon have it in habitable order again.
stovemeet10.jpg

Craig having a try out.
stovemeet11.jpg

As we headed back to our camp in which we would set up, i had need to visit the privy, after the breakfast we had eaten at my house.

Wooplaw's new Privy looked inviting.
stovemeet15.jpg

But to my suprise someone had headed my off at the pass, and pre-empted my thoughts.
And you can imagine my horror at pulling open the unlocked door to find the thing occupied. On second thoughts that will teach some folks to lock the door and remember that theres more than one person in the woods :eek:.
stovemeet16.jpg

So after the ablutions were taken care of it was time for the work to begin, setting up.
First off we cleared the snow back for the Tipi.
stovemeet17.jpg

As soon as we were set up it was time to get some water on for a brew.
Me getting a heat.
stovemeet6-1.jpg

After a brew i went for a wander, taking in the atmosphere of the woods.
Plenty of snow.
stovemeet13.jpg

The log cabin looked great in the snow.
stovemeet14.jpg

Old knarly Hawthorn.
stovemeet12.jpg

Then it was back to the Tipi, to find Craig Chillin.
stovemeet.jpg

So after a chill out in front of the stove, i got onto prepping the veg for our evening meal.
As we prepped we had a suprise visit from Bob, who is the chairman for Wooplaw, and a cracking fella to boot. So we had another brew and a good old natter.
stovemeet5.jpg

Well it was dark by the time we ate our meal, after that i tried to take a pic of the Tipi in the dark.
stovemeet2.jpg

We finally retired to bed at about 1am. I got up at first light to empty the bladder, after which i crawled back into the Czech bed roll, i nodded back off and re-awoke at 10.30, we lit the stove again and got breakfast on the go.
Craig Chef-ing.
stovemeet4.jpg

And so we hung around until the afternoon,we then packed up with sad hearts,as we could quite happily stayed for a fortnight.
Well that was our chill out folks, thanks for looking.

Oh just one last pic of the set up.
stovemeet3.jpg

Thanks and cheers Stuart.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Looking good there :D

The shelter you built in September looks sound too :cool:
Do they just leave things like that set up for the next workparty/event weekend ?

Thank you for the pictures :D I can almost smell those snowy woods and the fire :)

cheers,
Mary

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Thanks folks, it was a cracking time.

Looking good there :D

The shelter you built in September looks sound too :cool:
Do they just leave things like that set up for the next workparty/event weekend ?

Thank you for the pictures :D I can almost smell those snowy woods and the fire :)

cheers,
Mary

Hi Mary, regarding the shelter after Wooplaw 25, i was going to take it down, but a few folks who use the place said it would be a shame, and even a couple said they would like to use it, for a try.
So thats why i left it, plus theres alot of artist's who come up and make things and just leave them for others to enjoy also.

Cheers Stuart.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I wondered about that; I think it 'belongs' there.

I know it can be a problem in some areas where the trees are butchered every time some idiot decides to make one for him/her self, but I couldn't understand why not just leave a sound one? especially in a wood like Wooplaw, which is an actively used, not abused, woodland, and if no one's using it, tidy it up, make it sound and use it again.
Shelters are built and fire circles maintained, and stocked, without vandalism, in Scandinavia.....why not here ?

atb,
M

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
I wondered about that; I think it 'belongs' there.

I know it can be a problem in some areas where the trees are butchered every time some idiot decides to make one for him/her self, but I couldn't understand why not just leave a sound one? especially in a wood like Wooplaw, which is an actively used, not abused, woodland, and if no one's using it, tidy it up, make it sound and use it again.
Shelters are built and fire circles maintained, and stocked, without vandalism, in Scandinavia.....why not here ?

atb,
M

I could'nt agree more Mary. I do despair at times though, there seems to be a mentality in the uk which is very different to Europe. Over on the continent they seem to have a carring nature towards the natural world, where as here people just don't seem to connect with the enviroment. Maybe its an education thing, i don't know.

Cheers Stuart.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I don't know the answer to that one; education is about the best we can do, tie it in with a pride in the country maybe ? It is 'home' after all :dunno:

It's one of those anomallies about the Leave No Trace though; the woodlands just cannot support everybody building something from them everytime everyone goes out.

Folks don't leave a bothy hearth empty though, do they ?

Sorry Stuart, I've kind of sidetracked your thread :eek:

cheers,
M

Davedon

Apr 24, 2012
Selkirk
Cracking pics Stuart good to catch up with you on Sunday and meet Craig. I always go up and check the shelter every time im there, might even try a night it.

Cheers
Dave

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Sorry Stuart, I've kind of sidetracked your thread :eek:

cheers,
M

No worries Mary.

Cracking pics Stuart good to catch up with you on Sunday and meet Craig. I always go up and check the shelter every time im there, might even try a night it.

Cheers
Dave

Hi Dave, aye it was good to catch up again mate, and yeah go for it,use the shelter.

Cheers Stuart.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
That looks a great night out. Out of interest, what did you use to protect the tipi from the frontier's flue pipe where it exited?

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
That looks a great night out. Out of interest, what did you use to protect the tipi from the frontier's flue pipe where it exited?

You can have it so it doesnt touch any part of the tipi, but on mine i fitted some fire tape that they use on the edge of glass on stove doors, that way when the weathers bad you can wrap the tipi chimney hood right round the chimney with no problem, i did this at the weekend and after three days you could still hold the chimney no problem.

Lovely set up Stuart, will have to try it without rent a mob next time lol. Enjoyable blog mate.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE