Storing meths in aluminium.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have had the thought of carrying methylated spirit in one of those cheap aluminium water bottles you get from poundland. One of them is just the right size to use with a Swiss volcano stove, on top of a trangia burner, and it all fits together very neatly.

The question is does methylated spirits corrode aluminium or otherwise react with it?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The real question is: How safe is it to store a toxic material in something that looks like a drinking bottle?

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
What Santaman said, I would paint some kind of warning on it so that it stands out as not a drinking water bottle. Also, it depends on what the sealing O ring is made of. I had one that got brittle and disintegrated after a while of being exposed to meths.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
The Sigg fuel bottle I have is unpainted inside and out, I guess this is to stop fuel degrading the paint and buggering up the fuel, it also says fuel on the out side

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Meths reacted with a Sigg fuel bottle I had, turning the spirit dirty black. When I took it back to the shop, they could not explain it but gave me my money back. I spent that on one of the Trangia heavy-duty plastic fuel bottles - far superior and highly recommended.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
The Sigg fuel bottle I have has a gold colored coating on the inside where as the Sigg drinks bottle doesn't.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I did what Laurentius is proposing about three years ago, and the bottle and seal are still fine. So's the fuel.
Just dip a cotton bud in nitromors or cellulose thinners and 'write' METHS on the side and it's all good :) I bought the purple one so it actually reminded me of meths.

With hindsight (well, truthfully, with all the warnings from other folks) I think I'd use the bottle when it was needed and maybe decant the meths when not.

cheers,
Toddy

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
I store meths in a Sigg aluminium bottle year round and only use the plastic trangia bottle when camping out as it is easier to pour into the burner.
It has had no effect on the alu bottle or meths stored in it. Point is a good Sigg bottle lasts for years.
Riven.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
As I said on a similar thread only last week, be wary of the seals on some cheap fuel bottles as the meths degrades the seal. Better off with a Trangia fuel bottle which comes with a safe pourer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE