storage ideas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I use the tins that hold the explosive cartridges used to drop bombs from fighter jets.
Seriously, think 35mm film capsules, only made of aluminium and with a screw top.

Another solution, and one that's ideal for survival kits, is to stuff it into drinking straws (the big ones you get in fast food joints are ideal) cut to length and melted shut.
it's waterproof and can be split open when needed.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I use a slim birchbark tub with a tight fitting wooden base and a wooden lid with a bark edge that fits over the main tubs top edge.
OK it is not overly crush proof (I have wrecked a couple) bit it is in itself a natural tinder if needed.
A simple version can be made just by sewing/glueing a rectangle of birchbark into a tube and fitting each end with a wooden plug.
I think it has more of a bush aesthetic than plastic bags and alloy tubs - but that is my view only:)
I very rarely use Vas Balls anyway, prefering flint steel and char but when I do I find that the oily bark has kept the cotton wool safe and dry.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Do you really need a full tub of vaseline?

I get my cotton buds, dip them in vaseline and then put them in my rucksack. so its all ready if needed.

I put it into a sealable little bag, put that bag into my leather firestarter kit, put the starter kit into a bigger pouch, put the poutch into my rucksack. If its flexable it wont break.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE