Stockist for GB Small Forest Axe in Hampshire, Wiltshire or Dorset

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

palmnut

Forager
Aug 1, 2006
N51° W002°
Winter is coming and I'll be needing to churn out kindling for the new woodburner - as I keep missing the BR/Cegga group buys by a matter if minutes, it's time to go down market and buy that GB SFA. Rather than accept a random one off the shelf, can anyone tell me of a GB stockist in West Hants, South Wiltshire or North Dorset I could go to to select one.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apologies if this seems a bit funny, but what's to select? I have seen up to 12 of these in a line, brand new and apart from the actual makers stamp ( MM for example) there really is nothing to tell them apart.
As I say, not trying to be funny, just curious.

sincerely
R.B.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Not for miles, but you can play with mine :)confused: ) and see if you like it, mine is silly sharp though.

PM me if you are interested and we'll sort it out.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Apologies if this seems a bit funny, but what's to select? I have seen up to 12 of these in a line, brand new and apart from the actual makers stamp ( MM for example) there really is nothing to tell them apart.

sincerely
R.B.
rancid badger,

It makes a HUGE difference. When selecting an axe its improtant to check the alingnment of the head to the helve, the alignment of the grain on the helve, the fit of the helve to the eye, any forging dints in the bevel or cheek and many other factors. Gransfors have a good name but I have seen several SFAs that were absolute rubbish. One had a helve grain at almost 40 degrees from vertical, another had a a fit so poor that the bit line was 15 degrees off true to the centre line (thats downright dangerous). They are good axes, but, candidly, not as good as they used to be or should be for the money. I did an article that's kicking around here somewhere on "selecting an axe" that should provide some more info!

palmnut - the nearest hands on stockist to you I can think of is in west Sussex - I assume thats a bit too far?

Red

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
rancid badger,

It makes a HUGE difference. When selecting an axe its improtant to check the alingnment of the head to the helve, the alignment of the grain on the helve, the fit of the helve to the eye, any forging dints in the bevel or cheek and many other factors. Gransfors have a good name but I have seen several SFAs that were absolute rubbish. One had a helve grain at almost 40 degrees from vertical, another had a a fit so poor that the bit line was 15 degrees off true to the centre line (thats downright dangerous). They are good axes, but, candidly, not as good as they used to be or should be for the money. I did an article that's kicking around here somewhere on "selecting an axe" that should provide some more info!

palmnut - the nearest hands on stockist to you I can think of is in west Sussex - I assume thats a bit too far?

Red

Bugger me! oh well, as I say, it just goes to show. That line up I looked at really did look like clones, there again, they could all have been 'duffers' it's a minefield out there!
Oh well.
kind regards
Le Badgere Rancide ( touch of French there, see)

palmnut

Forager
Aug 1, 2006
N51° W002°
the nearest hands on stockist to you I can think of is in west Sussex - I assume thats a bit too far?

Thanks BR - if I were still living in NE Hampshire, may be - but W Sussex is probably too far from Dorset.

Dougster: Thanks for the offer to play with your SFA, but I've already used one - I just need to get one now.

FGYT: I'm not even going to think of playing with a Cegga (unless BR can guarantee to let me have one next time ;-) I suspect I'd want one, big time.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse

sincerely
R.B.

Hi RB,

i would have said the same as you mate, however, i did the Axe workshop at the Moot this year with Jed Yarnold (Top Job). Before we went into the how to use an axe, he educated us in types of axe and axe selection. He told us basically what BR said earlier in this thread and out of 20 people present, around 5 or six took their brand new, never been used, GB SFA's back to the shop to exchange for new one's! It was mostly due to head alignment and whether this was down to damage in transit or what i don't know. I'm pleased to say mine was fine, (sleep easy Greg) but if i'd just forked out £45 for something that everyone was saying was the mutt's and then be told 1/2 hour later that it's not would annoy me somewhat.

Having said all that, there are thousands of people who are very happy with their GB SFA's (i was) so don't be thinking that they are all duffers.:)

FGYT: I'm not even going to think of playing with a Cegga (unless BR can guarantee to let me have one next time ;-) I suspect I'd want one, big time.

No Worries you cant be far away if on the Dorset Wilts border im just near Verwood/Ringwood.
On the Cegga axe you have to be carful each batch has been made with differnt profiles the latest looks more a shaving axe :D maybe should be renamed the Red Carver im glad i got mine Before they got to thin

its a shame you dint get to the Wilderness gathering a few stalls had Gransfors

ATB

Duncan

palmnut

Forager
Aug 1, 2006
N51° W002°
No Worries you cant be far away if on the Dorset Wilts border im just near Verwood/Ringwood.

Sixpenny Handley.

It's a shame you dint get to the Wilderness gathering a few stalls had Gransfors.

I wanted to go, but one of the wife's friends was getting married and we had to go.

I wanted to attend the summer Moot too, but the wife had something she wanted us to do.

I spot a trend here :sulkoff:

Sixpenny Handley.

I wanted to go, but one of the wife's friends was getting married and we had to go.

I wanted to attend the summer Moot too, but the wife had something she wanted us to do.

I spot a trend here :sulkoff:

definatly not far was one of the places we looked at before choosing here

some times its better not to go cause if you do they make you pay for months :eek:

if your up for a bimble and both Bosses can allow it :yelrotflm :27: im also starting to look for a land owner who might allow a bit of Bushcrafty stuff

ATB

Duncan

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Used my Small Forest Axe to fell, limb and generally chop a few trees at Delamere this weekend. They we'ren't fully grown trees or anything, but a few of the "chopping competition" logs were fairly chunky. The big lumps of wood flying out every where impressed me and it made short work of the logs. Got a few small nicks in the blade, but not from chopping the trees, but from splitting planks for the communal and cooking fire. There was a hidden nail in one that I spotted just as the blade hit the nail, putting two 0.5 mm nicks into the blade. Dissapointed, but happy it wasn't any worse. I am at work early in the morning so I will sort the axe out tomorrow night. I'm hoping that a bit of work with wet and dry and mouse mat will see it good again in no time.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Spam,

Half a mill is nowt mate - I wouldn't worry too much unless it offends you aesthetically?

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE