still no macky's !!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Really?

We got a load off the N.E. coast about a month back from the kayaks............... they were all MAHOOOSIVE! too the biggest I've ever caught, most o them at least a couple of pounds.

No Cod though, but I'm itching to get back again.

Are they usually around this time of year at your end?

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
they're usualy here about mid June, last year was very quiet off the rocks ( i think we only caught 10 the whole time ) but if you went a mile out in a boat then you were catching, this year they are not coming in again, weird, maybe it's lack of food close in, i haven't seen the shoals of sandeels either, which we normaly do off the rocks.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
nitrambur.......get over here mate, massive house price crash ! lots of cheap seaside property going !...i'll try and post some piccys of the marina for you.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
they're usualy here about mid June, last year was very quiet off the rocks ( i think we only caught 10 the whole time ) but if you went a mile out in a boat then you were catching, this year they are not coming in again, weird, maybe it's lack of food close in, i haven't seen the shoals of sandeels either, which we normaly do off the rocks.

Grew up there mate, so sympathise with you. On the bright side I'm off in a bit for the 10 min trip to the beach to launch the kayaks for a Mackie fish! :p

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Been here since late March/early April.

There is one thing I tried once when they were thin on the ground and nobody was catching on feathers, lures or float.

Using FRESH Mackerel as bait on a float rig, I cut up a couple of fillets into small triangle shapes (this will become apparent later).
Chucked a handful of these chunks into the water and then cast my float on top and fed line out so they all drifted together.
Caught 6 mackerel in 2 hours, sometimes having to alter the depth of the float and putting a bit of groundbait in at regular intervals.
When I gutted the fish, their stomachs contained had the small triangle bits that I chucked in (the triangle bits were for ID purposes to see if they responded to groundbaiting).

Not saying this will work every time, but they don't always throw themselves onto a hook and might need a bit of encouragement.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE