Still lots of Covid about?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Apparently for many people it is your own immune reaction that causes the worst symptoms. That is the reason why young healthy people get it bad. The same happened during WW1 Spanish Flu. Also that's why medication that temporarily dampens the immune system work.

I lost most of my sense of smell a year ago, slowly getting some of it back. So that probably was Covid.

Reactions: Toddy

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I don't know of anyone who's had covid in the last year. When my mum was in and out of hospital last week no one was taking covid precautions and only a very few people where wearing masks.

With regards to masks, I thought the standard surgical masks did nothing to stop the spread of covid so why do some places still insist on them? I thought the FFP3 masks were the only ones to offer protection?

Reactions: CLEM

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I don't know of anyone who's had covid in the last year.
Neither do most of us. We’ve probably all had it. I suspect that I’ve had it twice in the last twelve months but as I didn’t test I can’t be certain.

We all react differently, many of us without symptoms.

With regards to masks, I thought the standard surgical masks did nothing to stop the spread of covid so why do some places still insist on them?
Are you suggesting that the historical use of fabric masks by the medical profession isn’t useful?

There has been a perception that the masks worn during the pandemic were/are for protection of the wearer. My understanding is that they are protection from the wearer.

I’m in my mid seventies and I don’t wear one unless I’m sneezing or coughing a lot. I shall wear one regularly if a virulent and aggressive mutation evolves - in order to protect those aroundAround me . If I am among the first to encounter it then I’ll have a fight on my hands but until then I’m getting on with life.
I hold the Shawshank Redemption in mind.

It’s not gone. It could become strong again. It has receded.
To quote another film: The last words from Papillon -

3.20 - 3.30

Last edited:
Reactions: Tsantsa

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I don't know of anyone who's had covid in the last year. When my mum was in and out of hospital last week no one was taking covid precautions and only a very few people where wearing masks.

With regards to masks, I thought the standard surgical masks did nothing to stop the spread of covid so why do some places still insist on them? I thought the FFP3 masks were the only ones to offer protection?
When I was last in Westminster I had to wear an 3M aura 1863+ mask, nothing else was permitted, it is the medical grade FFP3 non ventilating mask

Reactions: slowworm

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Are you suggesting that the historical use of fabric masks by the medical profession isn’t useful?
No. I don't know why they're worn but there have been studies that show viruses pass through them so they are of little or no use to stop covid. I saw a study that said FFP3 masked helped and could stop transmission if both people wore them (i.e. Infector and infectee). We use FFP3s if we need to.

Interesting to see what Gra has said, seems like the powers that be do accept this.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Apparently for many people it is your own immune reaction that causes the worst symptoms. That is the reason why young healthy people get it bad. The same happened during WW1 Spanish Flu. Also that's why medication that temporarily dampens the immune system work.

I lost most of my sense of smell a year ago, slowly getting some of it back. So that probably was Covid.
Not true, COVID hides and impacts every organ in the body....when your body eventually realises it is in trouble the immune system goes crazy to kill it and inflammation happens everywhere. The worse impact and long covid is based around not stopping to get better and fully recovered..... research has shown that you are likely to get long COVID by not stopping to fully recover.

The problem is that every time you get COVID, your immunity is weakened and eroded away at.....you are lucky if your body can recognize it is under attack!!!

Common cold, really should be common COVID....of which is a huge worldwide concern. Prevention is the best protection, wear a FFP3 non ventilating mask (reduces you getting and passing on COVID), get all the available vaccines (even if you have to buy them), think about where you going and if there is a risk?

The MPs, private schools (latter two for own preservation), private hospitals, and insurance companies are taking it seriously....why is not everyone else???

My health cover is reduced because I have had COVID infections, I am no longer fully covered for heart and respiratory conditions, my premium has increased due to having had covid....that is a huge red flag!!!

Reactions: gibson 175

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Not true, COVID hides and impacts every organ in the body....when your body eventually realises it is in trouble the immune system goes crazy to kill it and inflammation happens everywhere. The worse impact and long covid is based around not stopping to get better and fully recovered..... research has shown that you are likely to get long COVID by not stopping to fully recover.

The problem is that every time you get COVID, your immunity is weakened and eroded away at.....you are lucky if your body can recognize it is under attack!!!

Common cold, really should be common COVID....of which is a huge worldwide concern. Prevention is the best protection, wear a FFP3 non ventilating mask (reduces you getting and passing on COVID), get all the available vaccines (even if you have to buy them), think about where you going and if there is a risk?

The MPs, private schools (latter two for own preservation), private hospitals, and insurance companies are taking it seriously....why is not everyone else???

My health cover is reduced because I have had COVID infections, I am no longer fully covered for heart and respiratory conditions, my premium has increased due to having had covid....that is a huge red flag!!!

I find this intriguing, because the evidence I’ve seen suggests that generally subsequent infections are usually as mild or milder than the previous. The caveat to this is for people with pre-existing conditions who are significantly more at risk even with one infection.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I find this intriguing, because the evidence I’ve seen suggests that generally subsequent infections are usually as mild or milder than the previous. The caveat to this is for people with pre-existing conditions who are significantly more at risk even with one infection.

I'll find the research and add links.... primary, every time you have COVID, it is not necessarily milder, your immune system struggles to fight it off over a longer period of time.

Now COVID has mutated, to be not as extreme....to a point, but research and national statistics data show that COVID is the cause and not a symptom in most cases with pre-existing conditions and death.

It is like saying people that have aids and die from heart failure or bacterial infections.....the underlying condition is a weakened immune system from aids, covid weakens the immune system....this is why the insurance companies reduce health cover.

Right I have a feeling this will get political at this point.....so I will leave everyone to make up their own minds....I have read the research, I have looked at and run the data statically, and talked to principal medical statisticians and university academics...I have made an educated choice for my self and my family.

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
I'll find the research and add links.... primary, every time you have COVID, it is not necessarily milder, your immune system struggles to fight it off over a longer period of time.

Now COVID has mutated, to be not as extreme....to a point, but research and national statistics data show that COVID is the cause and not a symptom in most cases with pre-existing conditions and death.

It is like saying people that have aids and die from heart failure or bacterial infections.....the underlying condition is a weakened immune system from aids, covid weakens the immune system....this is why the insurance companies reduce health cover.

Right I have a feeling this will get political at this point.....so I will leave everyone to make up their own minds....I have read the research, I have looked at and run the data statically, and talked to principal medical statisticians and university academics...I have made an educated choice for my self and my family.

That’s fair enough, got to do what we each think is best for ourselves and families. You’re probably right about the potential for politics here too.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Oh dear. I thought that genii was back in its bottle.

Ref. the OP - I think we all agree it hasn’t gone away and it isn’t going to go away - but neither did the Black Death, it’s still here too.

I’ll trust my little T cells to look after me and get on with it.

Take care folks but enjoy life. Worrying isn’t living.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
At what point is it considered that ' Herd Community ' as been reached? Are we collectively there now and anything else is just on the periphery?

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I’m not sure that many of us are immune to Covid. I suspect that most of us are now resistant to its worst effects.
To achieve herd immunity there need to be enough of us who are sufficiently immune that the virus can’t establish itself in the herd and is prevented from reaching (m)any of the vulnerable. We certainly aren’t at that point with Covid; it is well and truly established in the herd.

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
"The really sad part of COVID is that it really does hide in the body, it masks itself and does all sorts of damage.... research shows that the 50,000 % increase in type one diabetes is linked to COVID infections."

I'm afraid that needs challenged.

Last edited:
Reactions: GreyCat

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Fortunately don't think I've ever gotten covid.

I follow Physics Girl (Dianna Cowern) on YouTube, and she's been bedridden since March 2023 with long covid and chronic fatigue syndrome.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Just a thought......

I do wander how much of an effect a person's existing physical condition has on their immune systems ability to ward off covid?

Reactions: GreyCat and CLEM

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE