Started on a Canvas Loue

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
I have wanted to make a canvas loue for ages :),

Martti gave me some information many thanks Martti .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loue_(tent)

http://www.suomenerataito.fi/erataidot/louekankaan-historia/

http://koti.netplaza.fi/~hw1/loude.htm

I have gone with this pattern ,

I dropped into Anchor Supplies at Ripley at the weekend hoping to get the white canvas 12x12 inners none to be seen i did however manage to pick up this sheet for £10 :D,,,Happy days ,

This morning spread it out and started cutting ,

Removed all the outside stuff that i dont need ,

Then went to work ..

That that all cut out , got to be said theres a lot of fabric involved as its almost five meters by three ,

Hopefully next weekend set up in the garden and get sewing ;)

Twodogs

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I bet its nice to have use of a big hall like that to lay stuff out in :)

Looking forward to seeing pictures in use.

and a tenner for all that material is a good buy:)

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
That looks interesting. You could make it out of a lot less fabric if you were prepared to piece it together of course. I learned about efficient cutting and piecing from making medieval clothing, most of that is designed around standard width fabrics (usually around 14-18"wide sorry, I think inches and ells for historical stuff) and cutting was as efficient as possible because hand weaving is slow and cloth valuable.

Twodogs

Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
You need to go there mate it really luck of the draw as to what they have in the cheap bins .

As far as I know they are still one of the MODs main tent disposal agents so they have loads of canvas ,,

Twodogs

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Mr cliff probably asked if they had owt laying around. Anchors at ripley is a fairly big place with stuff tucked away

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Quite a distance from me, shame I really need that canvas (it's for barge 'hold' cover).

Is there any way of finding out who else is an agent for disposing of MOD canvas?

Twodogs

Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Had a good project day today :)

Sun , Garden , Singer ...............

Plus Cobra :p

Poor old Singer 201K worked well above its weight ,,,not really made for this heavy canvas .

Worked though ,

Next up is the guy points they will need stiching by hand :D

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
Very nice! Is that the pattern from the Finnish chappy Joppe? I've got one of his Finnrover loues - with a firebox and a blanket roll it's just the business. Will you post how you find it when it's up and in use? The canvas looks lovely, and for a tenner? Thanks for posting this - very inspiring.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE