stainless steel container for hobo stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lab72

Native
Apr 6, 2010
west oxfordshire
Hi i struggling to find a container to fit a 10cm zebra billy can for a hobo stove i want something that will fit it snugg . Anybody got a link to were i can get one cheers

teflon

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2009
Salisbury
I have the 10 cm zebra pot and a 750 ml 'Dulux' paint pot (87 gram without the lid) that I cleaned out to make a very simple 'hobo' stove. They are the exact diameter as each other - which made sense as they can be stored the same way they are used in a reasonably sized side pocket with a combined height about 230mm not including the handle - I'm hoping flames won't be licking up the sides when in use. Haven't tried it yet.

The Ikea drainer thing is about 5mm too small for the 10cm Zebra handles. I've actually got one. Weighed it too, out of curiosity. 224 grams.

Last edited:

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
I've just been struggling with the same thing, although I settled on purchasing a Wilkos S/Steel biscuit tin for about £3.99. I used the bick of my anvil to depress the lugs, but one of my bretheren took them off totally and used a ring of brake cable to attach another brake cable handle to, so that the whole assembly can be easily removed if neccessary.

Anyway.........I digress:rolleyes:, I believe the ID of the biscuit tin in question is 13.5 cm.

I hope this helps!

EDIT: Just added a photo to give you a rough idea of the size comparison with the 12cm zebra billy. A 10cm billy may fit comfortably without removing the handle!!

Attachments

• 17042009124.jpg
    17042009124.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:

alecf

Forager
Jun 7, 2009
Nr Reading
Im also having the same issue, although mainly because im wanting two, one with a diameter a cm or two smaller than the other to make a IDG wood gas stove!

May 22, 2010
Wales
I also used a Wilkos biscuit tin for 3 quid odd, to fit a 12 cm Zebra billy. I copied the design of the stove from the one on Ravenlore Bushcraft site and the Natural Bushcraft web site (they used a jumbo dog tin with a 10cm billy!

SS version is much stronger although I got through 3 decent quality drill bits and two jig saw blades in the making!

Good luck

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I got mine from Morrisons a while back.

Wayland-Stove-1.jpg

If you want a snug fit you'll have to cut slots for the bail lugs to fit into though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE