squirrels

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
E

Enok

Ive heard squirrels are very tasty to eat, has anyone tried it or got any tips or recipies
cheers :)

Oct 25, 2006
england
Squirrels are quite tasty,although there is not a lot of meat on them,I generally make a stew with them.You can suit the stew to your own tastes.

Bushman_Brett

Oct 18, 2006
cannock chase
lol on my walk today 2 fat squirrels chasin each other jumped out right in front of me n froze for a few seconds wonderin if they should leg it or play dead, At that point i invisioned what the members of the board would do and saw you all pulling out the rifles, slingshots, bows n arrows and hunting knife n chasing after the next bush snack :p :))

atraildreamer

May 10, 2006
Providence, RI, USA
The hawk in my neighborhood likes them raw! :eek:

He also likes pigeons! :yikes:

You should the critters disappear when the big bad bird is overhead. :sulkoff:

Harry Houdini would be proud... :)

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Very good! It is one of my favorite game meats. My mother used to make them up in a pie. I do it still:

Take about four or five squirrels (dressed and skinned). Boil till the meat comes off the bones, brown in a skillet,

Cut carrots, peas, corn, onions and a small amount of potatoe.

Make a white sauce (not too much).

Combine all in a 10 inch pie crust, with cover, and bake at 375 for about half an hour.

Tastes great!

E

Enok

Bushman_Brett said:
lol on my walk today 2 fat squirrels chasin each other jumped out right in front of me n froze for a few seconds wonderin if they should leg it or play dead, At that point i invisioned what the members of the board would do and saw you all pulling out the rifles, slingshots, bows n arrows and hunting knife n chasing after the next bush snack :p :))

Oh if only you knew!!!!!!!!!!:BlueTeamE :AR15firin :borgsmile

lol

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
Had a couple at the weekend, jointed and pan fried with onions and leeks - very nice, not much meat on them though!

E

Enok

pierre girard said:
Very good! It is one of my favorite game meats. My mother used to make them up in a pie. I do it still:

Take about four or five squirrels (dressed and skinned). Boil till the meat comes off the bones, brown in a skillet,

Cut carrots, peas, corn, onions and a small amount of potatoe.

Make a white sauce (not too much).

Combine all in a 10 inch pie crust, with cover, and bake at 375 for about half an hour.

Tastes great!

Ive heard this is quite hard to do, especialy the skinnning

Got any tips anyone cheers :beerchug:

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
I've never been bothered with prepping them before because I've heard it's more trouble than its worth.

I'd have thought most of the meat is on the back legs. Is it worth just jointing these off (by the same reasoning as breasting small birds) or are there other good parts?

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
My mothers gone to war with local skwerls after they started dinning at the skwerl proof bird feeder, we’ve persuaded her not to shoot the little darlings as this may have led to all manner of mayhem so she has ordered a couple of traps. Don’t know what they are yet probably live catch traps, she is being all independent about this and will probably end up shooting the arboreal rodents in the trap, may end up visiting her in prison yet.

Pothunter.

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
We were doing rabbit as well and used the same technique - the squirrel is definately tougher - but certainly do-able. We used the front and back legs, although there's not much on the front ones!

Woods Wanderer

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 26, 2006
lincolnshire
ooh squirel parasol fungus and chestnut sterfry tasts delisious
i once boned a squirrel whole cut the whole skeliton out as one piece wen i finish it was a floppy squirrel lol

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Jackdaw said:
Have eaten them before, but chewy and not much meat for the effort. Rabbits are much better, but then again, if needs must, old bushy tail gets it too.

I have heard that the rabbit taste is easy to become tired of. And that squirrel is delicious. :confused: I have only eaten rabbit (domestically bred) and I thought it was ok. It probably comes down to taste.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE