Spyderco BCUK Bushcrafter REDUCED

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 10, 2007
Blackforest
on the other side..I like handcrafting things..It provides a good balance from modern life for me. And makes these piece of equipment individual...If finished I will post some photos....

Big Geordie

Nomad
Jul 17, 2005
Bonny Scotland
Just Arrived. Great condition overall. There's a very thin crack across a slab.
Handle seems to suit my middle sized hands. Sheath seems to be solid. Multi position too.
Great deal. Many thanks guys.
Atb
Ggoodjob

MTG-

Feb 1, 2010
Dartmoor
I fixed mine, by ripping the scales off..

100_0198.jpg

then replacing them with something nicer than cracks and unstabilised wood.

100_0210.jpg

100_0209.jpg

Needs a little more work still yet :D

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Just realized I hadn't spammed this forum with my efforts :D

Hi All,

CA'ed mine to death then set to work with 400/600/1200 grit. Came out great, feels great in the hand.

The RHS as I got it pic
yuck.gif
;

P3120005.jpg

After it had closed up a bit pic;

P3240028.jpg

and the after CA and sanding pic

P4030022.jpg

The LHS as I got it pic;

P3120007.jpg

After it had closed up a bit pic;

P3240027.jpg

and the after CA and sanding pic;

P4030019.jpg

Couple of from a distance shots (can you tell it was daylight when I took the last batch!!)

P4030016.jpg

P4030017.jpg

Chuffed to bits with the way it turned out, was a bit worried for a minute, just needs a couple of oil and buff cycles and it's done. Must say, as a user it's really growing on me...

Cheers,

Alan

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Pardon my ignorance, but what is the purpose of the hole in the blade? Is it for a lanyard?

It is Spydercos trademark. They invented the use of the round opening hole in folding knives. Another large knife company copied it a few years ago and Spyderco took them to court and won, as they argued the hole was universally recognised as a Spyderco design and trademark, which means they have to use it on all of their knives if they wish o continue with this argument and protect their one handed opening system of the round hole. If you notice, all of the other knifemakers have dropped the round hole soon after and use another shape entirely.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
i want one of these! does it actually come with a sheath? and does anybody know what size he holes are for the pins and lanyard on the handle?

The two "pin" holes are actually sized for the 1/4inch hidden bolts. A number of places sell them, I got mine from Texas knife supplies
450B_180.jpg

The holes are just about 4.6mm, so you will have trouble finding pin stock to fit. Its about 3/16th, but you might have some fitting to do depending on tolerances.

The tang hole for the lanyard is, sadly and rather embarassingly, the weirdest size that I have encountered. I think that it is 0.275inch, a 6.9mm drill bit is a little loose in it and a 7mm drill won't really fit. Maybe 7mm would work with some persuasion, but I have looked all over for pin stock, never mind tube stock, that will be a snug fit and eventually given up. I have a bunch of these things to put handles on and am going to either have to turn my own lanyard tubes, or use 1/4 tubes and live with them not being tight to the tang. :banghead:

grantdan

Forager
Feb 5, 2010
South Wales Valleys
The two "pin" holes are actually sized for the 1/4inch hidden bolts. A number of places sell them, I got mine from Texas knife supplies
450B_180.jpg

The holes are just about 4.6mm, so you will have trouble finding pin stock to fit. Its about 3/16th, but you might have some fitting to do depending on tolerances.

The tang hole for the lanyard is, sadly and rather embarassingly, the weirdest size that I have encountered. I think that it is 0.275inch, a 6.9mm drill bit is a little loose in it and a 7mm drill won't really fit. Maybe 7mm would work with some persuasion, but I have looked all over for pin stock, never mind tube stock, that will be a snug fit and eventually given up. I have a bunch of these things to put handles on and am going to either have to turn my own lanyard tubes, or use 1/4 tubes and live with them not being tight to the tang. :banghead:

Bugger, i was hoping that they would be readily available, but with my luck nothing is easy. i want one, but id rehandle it for peace of mind. if you are lucky making yor own could you drop me a pm and ill pay you to comission me a set, ill be happy to get the knife then knowing i can rehandle it.

It is Spydercos trademark. They invented the use of the round opening hole in folding knives. Another large knife company copied it a few years ago and Spyderco took them to court and won, as they argued the hole was universally recognised as a Spyderco design and trademark, which means they have to use it on all of their knives if they wish o continue with this argument and protect their one handed opening system of the round hole. If you notice, all of the other knifemakers have dropped the round hole soon after and use another shape entirely.

Thank you, sir!

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com

Did they actually win?

Just to add some detail to the above, as far as I know, it was over the Benchmade Dejavoo...

dejavoo.jpg

...being a copy of the Spyderco Lum Chinese Folder...

C65BKP.jpg

I'm not sure it's actually all that close of a copy, but you can certainly see why Spyderco got a bit annoyed over it, especially as Spyderco and Benchamde are in direct competition with each other into exactly the same markets ...and especially as Benchmade rather cheekily called their knife the "Dejavoo". As far as I know, the legal battle is an ongoing thing. The company is well known for it's preferred opening method and many Spyderco folders can quickly be identified by their round hole in the blade. I think most people familiar with knives would agree with that, so the notion of the "hole" being a brand identifier would seem to have some legs. However, I dont think you can patent a simple hole, so I think they tried to trademark it instead. Benchmade argued that the hole did not appear on every Spyderco knife, which proved it was a mechanism not a trademark. The fixed blades didn't have it, so I think Spyderco came a bit unstuck. Since then, every Spyderco knife has a hole in the blade, fixed blade or folder.

I dont think anybody likes it on the bushcrafter (I certainly dont), but it was not a design choice by Spyderco, they had to put it there as part of an ongoing legal battle to try and protect their brand identity. It's a like it or lump it thing, they couldn't remove it if they wanted to.

Last edited:
The tang hole for the lanyard is, sadly and rather embarrassingly, the weirdest size that I have encountered. I think that it is 0.275inch, a 6.9mm drill bit is a little loose in it and a 7mm drill won't really fit. Maybe 7mm would work with some persuasion, but I have looked all over for pin stock, never mind tube stock, that will be a snug fit and eventually given up. I have a bunch of these things to put handles on and am going to either have to turn my own lanyard tubes, or use 1/4 tubes and live with them not being tight to the tang. :banghead:

Yup, that's a weird size! Carbide bit and take it out to 9/32?
I recall Soupmonger drilled out the tang on my first Mule to take 4.6mm Corby bolts, and that is a lot harder (52100, Rc63ish) than the O1 of the Bushcraft.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE