spurious password?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Brixton

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 3, 2005
I got a copy of the RM essential bushcraft book for Christmas and seeing as it's been a while I grabbed a bit of string and had a go at the evenk hitch (on page 137)
This drawing makes no sense to me
fig 1 was as I remember make a loop over your hand with the dead end
fig 2 spin your hand up and over
so far so good
Fig 3 ???suddenly someones swapped the ropes over around the tree?
Problem is now what I thought I remember is lost in a mini sea of confusion
So I thought I would look at Mr Mears site and ask him to explain
I have been on the site before and it is in my favourites raymears.com
so off my browser goes only to demand a user name and password
I did a google search and found woodlore.com again name and pasword required
Any ideas how to get onto the site?
Must be possible as he's a business selling stuff

P.S. anyone got a good evenk hitch tutorial please let me know

Brixton

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Brixton,
Rays knot tying methods have long been a mystery to me as well - more slight of hand than tutorial. That said, I'm confident in my knot making skills from years of Scouting. The Evenk hitch is one that eludes me but I'm sure I have one in my repetoir that will do the job equally well.
What are you intending to use the Evenk for? If it is putting up a tarp and hammock, there are many knots shown on www.Imrisk.com that will do just that.
Once you get comfortable tying a particular knot, it becomes easier to tie it without looking, one-handed etc - I suspect that this is where Ray is coming from, not allowing for those who do not know the theory of what he is doing.

http://www.folsoms.net/knots/index.shtml has some good animations on basic knots to start you off.

ATB

Ogri the trog

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
scanker, the evenk hitch is a slipped overhand knot if i recall correctly, i can't do that one either! the slipped figure 8 that he uses for putting up a hammok i saw on a flight to the usa, they had ray and ewan's trip to the jungle. so i spent the next few hours practicing the knot with the headphone cord!!!!

best regards
steve

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Ogri the trog said:
Brixton,
Rays knot tying methods have long been a mystery to me as well - more slight of hand than tutorial

isn't that the point of his books...give you almost all the details but miss out the ones that mean you can succed. Then you fork out the £500 for his courses. He would be bankrupt if he put everything in a book :lmao: Or it would be a best seller :rolleyes:

P.S

Maver did a great photo tutorial of this knot here: http://website.lineone.net/~mark.emery/Evenk.htm

I'm sure he won't mind the link being shared.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I have watched the RM videos, looked at the Bushcraft book and I still can't figure out that knot! I think the websites provided solves the riddle! Thanks to everyone for the links.
I still remember all my mountaineering knots and never had a problem with them. I must say, the hammock knot RM uses is a baffler! I am going to get some cord out and start working on mastering the knot. I just invested in the Eco sleep hammock and net. I already have a couple of the excellent Aussie hootchies on hand. I found a supplier in AU that sells them for about $65 US shipped. I can share that if anyone in the US is interested. Not sure about postal cost to UK from AU, but there may be little savings to go to AU for a hootchie. Let me know if anyone wants the link. Thanks again for the knot links! Cheers!

Topcat02

Settler
Aug 9, 2005
Dymock, Gloucestershire
Evenk knot.

I thought I was going mad over Xmas, sat by the fire trying to tie the three knots on that page. Two went swimmingly but the Evenk defied logic.

In the end I tried to work backwards from the last picture, and worked out that the rope had to cross, and that the end that lies across your palm is the working end, and that the longer section is the bit that wraps around your hand.

It starts to make sense, as long as you ignore the made up picture. :D

Brixton

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 3, 2005
I'm extremely glad it wasn't just me that had probs
It was a tad embarrasing as my partner kept saying things like
"I thought you were a scout leader"
and
"didn't you used to make a living tying things up in the air?"
The tutorial with the green webbing was very handy so thankks to sender.
I expect however that when I next get to do it for real I'll forget again and do either a choked bowline or a clove and a half hitch.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE