Spruce Chewing Gum?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 16, 2011
Perth
Hey i was just looking up how to make Spruce Chewing Gum and was wondering if you can use any spruce? and also has anyone tried it or even made there own?

Cheers

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
The native people here just break a piece off and chew it as is. The only spruce here is black spruce. I've tried it a couple of times but haven't had it in years.
You mentioning there's a way to make it had me look it up where I found this http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/1981-01-01/Spruce-Chewing-Gum.aspx
The same info as what you found? It's actually a pretty interesting article as I truly had no idea, because as I said, the people here just chew it as is directly off the tree. It's the amber, firm stuff that's used.

cowboy

Banned
May 3, 2010
The shire
Iv had it before and let me tell you there is nothing pleasant about it!!!! I orded some off line and it sounded quite good in till you pop in in your mouth! It looks like hard toffee wich crumbles and eventually turns to a very hard chewing gum texture! worth a try but wont be having it again thats for sure...

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I chew dry resin regularly - never heard anything about "making" it

Just break off a piece of dry pine/spruce resin - be more than 100% sure its dry - if there is anything liquid or fluid about it, it'll turn to glue and coat your teeth, where it'll stay for days!

When you first start chewing, it'll turn almost to powder - and as it gradually warms and melts, form into a chewy ball, just like the gum that we all know.

I find it has a pleasant pine fresh taste though it normally doesn't last too long - it'll dissolve into your spittle and you'll be left with nothing.

Once again just in case you weren't listening - make sure its dry when you take it off the tree!

ATB

Ogri the trog

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have chewed the odd bit myself - you can buy "Wilma" brand in the UK - but have also tried "wild" chewy ...make sure it is REALY dry!

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Ogri- do all the resins work and taste the same?

Does one work better as gum than others?

Cheers
Ness:)

All those that I've tried so far taste the same, but I can't say that it'd be true for "all".

As for "working", I can't emphasize the "dry" phrase enough - if you try it with fluid resin, you'll soon understand.

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE