Springbar tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
We had a Woods 9x12 canvas tent when I was a kid. Annual camping trips, some in gawd-awful pouring rain for a week.
I bought the same tent for my family. I've lived in a Woods Prospector shack tent for several months for several summers.

I'm so pessimistic that I'll say that they all leak, maybe not today but tomorrow. Hindsight tells me to buy a really big tarp. One end to act as a rain fly
and the other end as a outside rain shelter so you can get out of the tent and stay out of the rain.

The Kodiak you're looking at is a really nice size and design. I'd just be ready to cover it up. Don't believe that you need the model with the extra windows.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Thanks for the reply and the PM... I have heard mixed reviews about waterproofing... some glowing, some damning.

I was considering the vestibule like this which would increase the coverage and offer some wind protection:

maxresdefault.jpg

The Alternative is a Campmor Safari Bow which is 3m x 3m and with the additional layer on top would be very waterproof.

http://www.expedition-equipment.com/products/tents-ground-tents/campmor-tent-safari-bow-4-person

Bit dark inside though.

Luckily I already have a really big tarp ;)

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
I don't have any experience but I do like the layout of the tents. I think canvas tents can be good if you look after them property. ie packed away dry and stored somewhere dry. if they get damp in storage they will rot. but a rip or tear can be easily repaired and are generally robust. I guess if the waterproofing diminishes with age they can be re-treated? I think if I get to the point where I'm looking for a tent I can stand up in I would be interested in one of these

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Ive got one Joe. Theyre very good in wet weather. No leaks. Ordered from Cabelas in New York. I think it cost about £250 delivery though!

Last edited:

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Kodiak canvas gave me a voucher code that gives a massive discount to offset import taxes and shipping. I'm still not convinced though, having nowhere in the UK to send it back should there be a problem.

I'm also considering a Campmor 3m x 3m Safari Dome

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Thread here with some photos. We had a real downpour, turned into a stream, going around the tent, and was bone dry inside.
If youve got a bargain, go for it. They are great tents for the uk weather. The 10 ounce cotton duck canvas is impregnanted with something which makes them comletely waterproof. They are light and airy, and give great light. and brilliant headroom, with shelves, hanging off the sides and a removable 'attic' for hanging stuff in. Free standing and bombproof.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110681

The actual 'springbar tent' is what the kodiak was copied off and is its own make. Just as good for your needs probably and although rare can be picked up cheaper.

Last edited:

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
Kodiak canvas gave me a voucher code that gives a massive discount to offset import taxes and shipping. I'm still not convinced though, having nowhere in the UK to send it back should there be a problem.

I'm also considering a Campmor 3m x 3m Safari Dome

if you don't use the code can I have it

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
well reading up on these tents I read one comment about the mesh windows. They need to be zipped closed when it rains (as it often does in the uk) this leaves you sitting in a very dark tent. most European tents have clear plastic windows that can let in light and be waterproof at the same time. That will also mean you will need to zip all the windows every time you leave your tent for any time (unless rain is unlikely )and that may get a bit tedious. Just something to bear in mind

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE