Spoons and knifes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dancan

Nomad
Sep 29, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Not owning any Mora's other than a spoon and carvers I decided buy a Mora 660 just to see how well it would work . Quite sharp new but a couple of passes on the strop and it was hair popping sharp so I decided to see how well it would work as a carver .
This is what I got for my effort .

100_1029.JPG

dancan

Nomad
Sep 29, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Just Kidding !
Here's a few spoons with the knives I used .

100_1031.JPG

100_1041.JPG

Oak carved with the 660 .

100_1037.JPG

100_1036.JPG

Poplar carved with a modified Frosts roe knife .

100_1033.JPG

Apple

100_1044.JPG

Alder

I found that the 660 worked quite well for carving spoons but harder to work than a smaller carver , out in the bush any knife in that size range will work and not having a "carving" knife is not a reason to not try and carve something but the curved or hooked knife is a different story if you want to make a few spoons .

Last edited:

dancan

Nomad
Sep 29, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Thanks for the kind words . I wrestled with the leaf for a while and I still need more practice (I wish some of you guys would post some inspiration !) .
nice jobs on the spoons . i started with a moira & found it only good for filleting fish but never tried cutlery so might have an other job for it now .
Funny you say that because I was thinking that the 660 would make a better bird and trout than some that are sold as .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE