Spoons & a Lesson

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dancan

Nomad
Sep 29, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
I've been laid up for a bit and have a little more time to go , as time and weather permits .
Barefoot carving anyone LOL .

The+Boot.JPG

None of the neighbours saw the guy on crutches carrying an axe so to work I went .

Split an old piece of poplar

popelsplit.JPG

Roughed of a couple of blanks

axeruff.JPG

Oops , I did not have my hand in the safe zone , I can say one thing for sure , get rid of all the blood before you call your wife for a band-aid if you're already disabled and don't even mention the words ''Should probably have stitches''

The+cut+.JPG

Knife ready

Knife+Smooth.JPG

Rainy day pic but all done

Finished.JPG

Group shot

Groupshot.JPG

Always keep your body in the safe zone .

dancan

Nomad
Sep 29, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Thanks for the kind words but I have a lot of work ahead to catch up we a lot of the carvers on this site .
I wish some of you guys would come over here to put on a course , if not I'll have to win the loto so I can go over there for a course or two .

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Some seriously fine spoonage there sir. I have yet to make one of those tings. The first one I did was awful and I'm scared to repeat the process.

Good point about wiping up the blood before calling for a band aid. I'll have to remember that top tip. The scorn and "Told you so" factor has got to be severely reduced if your advice is followed.

goodjob

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
Those spoons are great - I take it you rough them out with the axe, whittle them and do the deeper bowls with a hook knife?
I'vew just started with spoons, what do you use as a finish coating, so you can actually use them with foodstuffs?

dancan

Nomad
Sep 29, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Those spoons are great - I take it you rough them out with the axe, whittle them and do the deeper bowls with a hook knife?
I'vew just started with spoons, what do you use as a finish coating, so you can actually use them with foodstuffs?

I try and get them close with the axe , the knife come next , I use a Frosts spoon knife for the bowls because that's what I have at the moment and usually finish the spoons with a food safe tung oil and a Clapham's beeswax finish .
The spoons I make for myself I do leave rough , the ones that I give away are usually sanded smooth .
I forgot to mention that I hate sanding but my knifework still leaves a lot to be sanded .

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
Cheers Dancan, never heard of tung oil but I'll be looking into it. It may be one of those things with a different name over here in the uk, I'm sure someone on here will enlighten me..!

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
very nice work, I dont dare try again after every one of mine ends up breaking on one of the final cuts! I don't have the delicate hand i'd like!

dancan

Nomad
Sep 29, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Cheers Dancan, never heard of tung oil but I'll be looking into it. It may be one of those things with a different name over here in the uk, I'm sure someone on here will enlighten me..!

This is the tung oil that I use http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=20049&cat=1,190,42942 , if I had food grade linseed oil I'd use that as well .

very nice work, I dont dare try again after every one of mine ends up breaking on one of the final cuts! I don't have the delicate hand i'd like!

Why not try again ? I threw one in the firewood pile yesterday LOL

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
I wont try again because I need to give myself a break from them otherwise im going to give up forever! I get easily frustrated with things like that! it's like the couple of times ive tried to make a bow, just as i draw it for the first couple of times it snaps....its utterly heartbreaking when that happens! :'( :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE