Spoon carving step by step

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Im not the one who should be teaching others being a noob myself , but decided to share how I do it , any ideas and advices are very welcome !

[video=youtube;NQ9XDu7k5mU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ9XDu7k5mU[/video]

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Nothing wrong with that and I think your selling yourself a bit short.
Video was very well structured and shot too.
If you want one bit of constructive criticism I would suggest using your saw to break down the tree into smaller rounds (its kinder on your axe and more precise) and split it from the end of the log rather than the side and you will get a cleaner blank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Just on a little safety note, from 8:21 on the video, when you start carving the spoon with your knife, it is an idea to have the work and the blade well away from your inner thigh and femoral artery; leaning forward, with your elbows on your knees is a safer option.

Another little useful thing when hollowing out the bowl of the spoon is to measure it: your upper lip should be able to touch the bottom of the spoon's bowl from handle to tip - an important factor when using it to eat! It also helps you judge how much you need to remove from the back of the bowl, and so its thickness, more accurately. After all, you want to eat with a spoon rather than a log.

Great video and I do like the shape of the resulting spoon. Many thanks for posting it.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Thank you very much !

Yeah I know that is wrong but its kind of a habit I can't get rid of , I feel very comfortable that way even though I know it is wrong and dangerous

Sep 27, 2016
Wales
I am new to whittling too so I am interested in seeing different techniques. I would echo other replies in that you'll make it easier on yourself and your axe if you saw a round to length first and then split it down the grain. In my experience, little as it may be, you get a better start. I would also suggest altering your stance when using your axe and try to work, where possible, on a block or kneeling down. I was out splitting rounds to go in a charcoal kiln a couple of weeks back and I found myself wrestling with a maul and making little impact on the pieces I was trying to split. In my haste I was working across an incline and had the pieces at ground level - essentially it couldn't have been more wrong in terms of posture; I was fighting myself. I took the pieces to a more level surface and employed a chopping block and it made the world of difference and I didn't feel so exhausted either - funny that!

The other thing I noticed is your method of carving the initial shape, I am impressed how it came together and the shape you end up with. Something I will try myself! I Also notice that you cut across the grain when you're carving the initial shape; do you not find that your pieces split off the end of your cut? I am rarely able to stop that happening no matter how I brace the piece.

Thanks for sharing.

Dean

Mod
Mod
Jan 24, 2004
South Wales
www.facebook.com
Thank you very much !

Yeah I know that is wrong but its kind of a habit I can't get rid of , I feel very comfortable that way even though I know it is wrong and dangerous

Some Spoon Carvers I know have the same habit of working on their thighs, one thing you can do for safeties sake is use a piece of large section of thick leather draped across your thighs or buy a leather apron. Also change the way you prepare the rounds for splitting into sections to prolong the life of your axe/hatchet.

A great bit of info for you and anyone else who is relatively new to the hobby is the golden ratio.

Golden Ratio 1/3
Bowl 1/3
Handle 2/3
Width (wide) 1/3 of Bowl
Neck 1/3 of Handle

Other than the mentioned items on this thread I believe you have a good start on spoon carving.

Noob I think not.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Thanks guys !
I mostly carve in the woods so carrying extra stuff is not an option in most cases , I really should get rid of the habit it would be better

Gary Elson

Feb 27, 2007
Bulkington Warwickshire
Hi
Just a quick comment but please tell me you cleaned the stump up where you took your blanks from
Good practice and a clean stump will create a coppice and hence more material for your work 👍

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE