Spoon and condiments....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

coolerking

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2008
Manchester
linktr.ee
Show me yours....

Right, I have been liberated of my favourite cooking spoon so, I am now In the market for something else. So I'm after a little inspiration as to getting a new one. I've never made one nor do I have the tools to do so unfortunately. :-(

and, whilst were on it, I want some form Of condimen holder, I used an old make up thing that seemed to be the best and I was able to keep salt,pepper,cayenne pepper and chilli in it. Not bothered about salt really as it never really got used.... I fancy something different....

Any ideas welcome.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Are you not tempted to just get yourself a mora and one of the mora crook knives for around £25 total and have a bash at making yourself one? Its great fun and you very quickly get very addicted to the whole spoo carving thing and before long you'll have a whole collection!

As to the condiment holder I can't help you much really..you could make a little leather pouch maybe and wack some dividers in to seperate the individual bottles perhaps?

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
My current favourites. I would encourage you to have a go yourself. I do not feel like I have a while lot of choice in cooking spoons in my local stores here. All the same shape that are roughly sanded into shape and fluff up after they get wet.

2013-08-03+16.56.24.jpg

2013-09-16+20.33.52.jpg

Dean

Mod
Mod
Jan 24, 2004
South Wales
www.facebook.com
Hi Coolerking,

What size and shape spoon are you after am only asking as they come in all shapes and sizes. I do agree with Hhazeldean making your own is far more satisfying that buying one, I would have a look at some of the ones people have made then have a go at making one.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Go for it mate!

Theres no set wood for spoons and the like, there are loads of good woods out there for carving with. Birch, ash, hazel, sycamore, all these kinds of things.. Pretty much as long as its non-toxic it should be fine, the only real variables are how nice the wood is to carve..

This thread here : http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52897 details all the native hardwoods and whether or not they're good for using with food.

Last edited:

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
This reminds me I must try and make a spoon this winter... Anyways, for spice containers I use 35mm film canisters- get them in bagfuls from the local Costco as they do photo developing. I suppose they will be getting scarcer but Red's "Universal Container" idea would allow you to see what's inside given they are clear (we have bags of them at my work too- but that would be stealing- and as I fill them with all sorts of bodily fluids on a daily basis, I can't bring myself to using them for cooking!!)

Home Guard

Forager
Dec 13, 2010
North Walsham, Nelson's County.
As far as condiments go, i've always used a 1950's issue stainless kfs set. It has lettle brass tabs so the slide and lock together nicely. But recently I purchased one of the notorious "Sporks", it's great and relatively cheap. I also do not own a spoon knife, but have managed to successfully carve a spoon that served purpose for eating and cooking. It wasn't very deep, but it was about as deep as a tablespoon so was good enough for most jobs apart from eating soup. I did this with just a mora clipper knife. Spoon carving is easy if you want a good working spoon. Even I can do it. :) I always carry 6" of emery strip with me to finish them and once smoothed by sanding, I rub plenty of cooking oil in them, as it's cheap, looks fabulous, means that your spoon doesn't get stained or retain smell/taste and it's easy to do.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Wasn't there a scare a few years back RE using 35mm film cans for spices as things like pepper can leech out chemical residue left by film, even after prolonged washing. Could be wrong. (Though is it a risk? how often in contact?)

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
I use a spoork, but for the spices and salt and pepper etc I use the little jam pots you get while out have a scones at coffee shops or on the side for breakfast in hotles etc, nice and small and two or three do not take up much room in your kit, one down size is that they are mad of glass, but are pretty tuff things.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE