Splitting some Birch and a Kuksa

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dancan

Nomad
Sep 29, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
I had some fresh cut wood dropped off by a friend of mine since I'm not as mobile as I'd like to be for the time being so I can carve up a few spoons and such .
Since I have some time on my hands I decided to carve some kuksa's .
One of the 3' logs was about 8'' at the but so I decided I try to split it leaving the heartwood section in the part that I wasn't going to be using with an axe and wedges , I was amazed at how easy birch split , I'm sure stringier stuff/bigger/dryer stuff would be different and I'm just putting this up to show that you don't need a bunch of equipment if you want to start carving a bit of wooden ware .
Here's a bit of the process and a couple of kuksa's .

100_2464.JPG

I drove the axe in on one side of the heart and then a plastic wedge to get the axe out .

100_2466.JPG

I followed the split with more wedges

100_2468.JPG

With a bit of tapping it split easily to the end and I was left with 2 pieces , heart in 1 half .

100_2471.JPG

X marks the spot to be hollowed out .

100_2473.JPG

A bit of chisel and spoon knife work later , 1 hollow spot .

100_2477.JPG

A bit of axe work later .

100_2479.JPG

Here's the rough one besides a kuksaI made from a piece of beech firewood .

100_2481.JPG

100_2486.JPG

I've got plenty of wood and some time on my hands so I have no excuse for not practising .

dancan

Nomad
Sep 29, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Thanks for the kind words .
I've made a large , heavy duty spoon , ladle and spatula with thick handles for camp use for a friend from this pile of birch that gave no issues , the kuksa's gave me a little grief with a little bit of cracking where thick wood meets thin and the second one had cracks develop while carving at the top edge but these are big enough that I can trim off what has cracked without much of an issue . A couple of go round's through the microwave and it looks like everything has settled .
I'll probable rough out another one tomorrow and try to get deeper sides in the bowl and see what happens , I have plenty of wood but I always hope I'm not making kindling LOL .

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Looks good, like the shape of the kuksa's .
I see you have the dreaded plastic boot, hope it comes off for you soon.

dancan

Nomad
Sep 29, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
LOL ''The boot'' I'm not one for plastic things but I have to say it is an improvement over plaster because I can take it off to get at ''the itch'' and I don't have to sleep with it .
Since I can never get the same shape twice the shape will always be different , I always struggle with getting it to look acceptable .

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
Good stuff! I especially like the beech one, I bet that was tough to carve out the bowl...
I should have a go at a kuksa soon - they look very rewarding.

dancan

Nomad
Sep 29, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Good stuff! I especially like the beech one, I bet that was tough to carve out the bowl...
I should have a go at a kuksa soon - they look very rewarding.

The beech wasn't seasoned dry yet so is wasn't to bad to work with , I wish I had a few larger pieces , Kuksa , Spoon or Ladle , it takes me the same amount of fussing so to me one is no harder than the other and I try to figure out how to improve and have an easier go on the next since I have no one to teach me except all the fine folks that have taken the time to post their knowledge so that others may learn . I'll post and spread around what little I have learned so that it may help someone in some respect or to get someone to show stuff and continue the cycle .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE