Split kuksa... :(

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
More than welcome to join Hugo, RockMonkey and myself on Thursday if you want?

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Spandit mate, this is one of the burls that PeterT gave me at the meet, made a kuksa out of it yesterday.
Look mate NO splitting. :rolleyes:
kuksa001.jpg

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Very nice, Hugo, been a bit busy looking after a toddler and wife with the 'flue, plus 2 dogs who are extra hyper because I haven't been able to walk them! Was that carved with your Hultafors blades? I've managed to wreck the edge on mine - got it razor sharp but it chipped

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I did use one of my whittlers on it yes, and a Ben Orford large spoon knife.
This is the underside, it needs to slowly dry out now. Be nice when it is oiled.
kuksa002.jpg

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
In that case I'll probably pass, if that's OK. Whereabouts do you meet, out of interest?

We meet in the Village of Steyning and wander out and up over the Downs from there, we have a few different routes based on what we want to do for the day, ie chill and carve and go for a nice long bimble

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
That bit of birch does not look that heavily infested with fungi and should have been fine. I have used stuff far more spalted than this. The wall are thick and uneven and this can be a big problem. I would start again, these things happen to the best of us.
Why have you chosen not to have the handle in line with the grain? This will only result in more work. When the wood is green make sure the wall are of even ish thickness and thin, that way it will dry without splitting. If dried slowly.
spalted-hornbeam-bowls.jpg
[/IMG]

That has to be without a doubt one of the most stunning pieces of birch I ever saw.

I know the feeling putting in good time for a kuksa have had a few split myself. Good luck on the next one

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
We meet in the Village of Steyning and wander out and up over the Downs from there, we have a few different routes based on what we want to do for the day, ie chill and carve and go for a nice long bimble

Oh how I hate 9 to 5. This week is killing me already and it's only Tuesday. Wish I could join you boys too, but 'd man says I've got to work.

Also regretting not nabbing a bit of that burl too. Carving that this week might just soothe the savage beast brewing inside me. Then again if that went wrong I think I might just go off the rails. Really need to get out this weekend and achieve something.

Thank god for our meets, it's the bit of light that gets me through the month.

Phew, sorry about that, just needed to vent.

Peace and love, peace and love

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Oh how I hate 9 to 5. This week is killing me already and it's only Tuesday. Wish I could join you boys too, but 'd man says I've got to work.

If you ever get time off for good behaviour (not likely i know ;)) and fancy a trip out give us a shout, your always welcome to join us on a bimble round

Harmony

Tenderfoot
May 15, 2008
Spokane, Washington USA
I have a kuksa carved by Mauri Poylio. He salt cures wile carving.

The cup is hygroscopic and takes care of itself.

I sometimes use green wood for the latching posts and handles on my tine’. I have never had it split.

The salt is absorbed into the wood cells, this makes it hygroscopic, and the wood will draw moisture.

As you boil the wood in brine it will change specific
gravity and sink.

Slow dry the wood.

Harmony

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
I have a kuksa carved by Mauri Poylio. He salt cures wile carving.

The cup is hygroscopic and takes care of itself.

I sometimes use green wood for the latching posts and handles on my tine’. I have never had it split.

The salt is absorbed into the wood cells, this makes it hygroscopic, and the wood will draw moisture.

As you boil the wood in brine it will change specific
gravity and sink.

Slow dry the wood.

Harmony

So if I understand it correctly, by creating an osmosis reaction, and heightening the amount of salt inside of the particular cells of the structure of the wood, you make it first draw moisture, and as you lay it to rest, because of the high salt content it will dry out slowly by its self?

yours sincerely Ruud

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE