Spitfire 944

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
I found this a few days ago.
"In 2005, an 83 year-old World War II pilot is surprised to see 16mm footage of his 1944 Spitfire crash for the first time."

[video=youtube;ie3SrjLlcUY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie3SrjLlcUY[/video]

Happy trails...torc.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That was great Torc thanks. You have to admire the understatement and courage that that generation had.

Thanks for posting,
GB.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
I'd recommend a book called Fighter Pilot by Paul Ritchie(?). He was Hurricane pilot in France during the 'phoney war'. It's about his experience of that time which included being shot down, twice I think.

sent by weird means

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's great; a very different breed of hero, eh?.....Thanks for the post,..............atb mac

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
They had one of these Spitfire photo recce aeroplanes at the Cosford Airshow this year, fantastic to watch, and the pilots who flew them back in the war were amazingly brave as has been shown in the clip above, basically a flying camera unit with a massive fuel tank to get there and back, painted blue as camouflage against the sky they flew a lot higher than most of the planes normally did. often at 30,000.

2vuynhj.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE