Sparks from a Mora?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ed W

Tenderfoot
May 7, 2005
West Yorkshire
Hi,

Does anyone know the best way to get sparks from a Mora using a fero rod? I've tried filing it but it didn't work although I'm probably not doing it right anyway.

Thanks.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Mine worked brilliantly without any adjustment. I find it works best using the back of the point, not the very end but where it has started to taper. I find it is as, if not more, effective than the piece of hacksaw that came with the rod.
Mine is the standard frost mora from bushwear.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
The spine on the training knife is very poorly finished, there is something of a burr that is flannened over. If you use a sharpening stone, wet and dry on a flat surface, a grinder or something to square off the spine, then use one of the sharp square corners, it should throw sparks no problem.

M

marcja

PC2K said:
simple, grab a file. And file the spine flat. Thats what i did and it works great

I'll second that, it worked a treat on mine and the finish looks better than what it did when I bought it!!

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
An easier way of doing it, especially out of doors, is simply to get a brick/rough stone and rub it onto the spine. You get a rough edge that sparks reasonable well.

:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE