Space Problems?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I'm certainly not one of these but i have learnt to be very proficient at making proper hearty energy packed meals from completely dry ingredients

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Too right. There are some ultralighters who purposely don't take enough food so as to save weight :eek:

They'll be the same ones with just a poncho tarp, and a rucksack that snaps somethething the first time you fall over :rolleyes:

Ultralight can deffo go too far

Mar 26, 2015
Birmingham, UK
As said the best way to maximise the space is to keep the sleeping bag out of the compression sack and stuff it at the bottom of the bag where it will use up all of the available space.

When you say base weight this usually means everything less food, water and fuel. With the weight of your gear I doubt that your base weight is 10kg!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Base weight at weigh-in yesterday was 22lbs. No food or water in there.

Nov 19, 2015
Devon
I know it does not save allot of space overall but I always split my tents down for easy packing/load sharing if hiking with others.

The dry sacks do allow for a little extra compression and I keep the poles and pegs in a single bag on the side of my pack. Splitting the tent also allows me to keep a wet outer separate from the inner if we are camping multiple nights in different locations.

IMG_1309.JPG

Last edited:
Amazing how quick food weight adds up too especially if you are taking anything more than freeze dried and dehydrated ingredients, once you start adding little treats, snacks and heaven forbid tins of stuff you can easily double your pack weight just carrying enough grub for 3 or 4 days, when i go solo i use all freeze dried and dehydrated ingredients and 2 weeks of food is just under 7 kilo and fits into 2/3rds of a 20ltr dry bag

sorry if i go somewhat :offtopic: ....: any chance for some infos on that- what kind of food do you pack/use?

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Yeah sure i dehydrate meat and vegetables and fruit and take mixed raw nuts and a premade bannock mix and a selection of cereal bars, i rehydrate the meat jerky with dried vegetables and pulses like par boiled barley and lentils and stock cubes, this makes a hearty broth which i add wholemeal pasta to or cous cous, the fruit leather i eat with raw nuts, i used to buy all these ingredients but now i make them all except the par boiled broth pulses, i only cook once per day when living wild, breakfast is cereal bars and snacking through the day is the nuts and the fruit leather.

It sounds like it is the same food all the time but the variety i can make with the broths by changing the stock cube, the type of jerky and the type of cous cous or pasta and how much of the par boiled pulses i add really makes a hell of a difference, amazing energy levels gotten from it too, here is a collection of different versions of my broths

14897-1442419085-835690e621bd6337380d14bcb1d69e95.jpg

14901-1442419116-d08b501e6031cfb77b963a65a3be2fa1.jpg

14907-1442419158-54ea009f5837caf8d0f7c79577498da9.jpg

14926-1442419273-27995cfd4fd524a339d62ef842abb64c.jpg

14938-1442419329-8e7562d555910e93612db38b4cee37ef.jpg

11626-1407546386-3bb2ff3ea527934a3c590e53a4ecbf11.jpg

Always add to the stuff i bring with anything i can collect or catch

11578-1407546067-2df972a2c5f6dbebdc70577645c87a6d.jpg

11542-1407545853-b8515f2768ab958e6d59ce246af332df.jpg

11577-1407546064-8429db40fc0be1337e783d1a444cd277.jpg

Last edited:

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I also take tea and coffee and powdered milk included in the space took up in the 20ltr dry bag

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
I had the same problem with my 72 l rucksack. When I was out on a solo trip, the tent and sleeping bag were just eating up all the space. I thought "which one do I really need?", and left the tent at home. The sleeping bag goes outside on the bottom of the rucksack, and I use a Jerven Fjellduk instead of a tent.
Voliá! Plenty of space for the rest of the stuff :)

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Hi Rachel.
I just had a look at the packed size of your tent 44 X 14 cm sounds not to bad for a two man tent, but I think a two man tent is perhaps overkill for extra space for one person, I have a one man tent with plenty extra space in the porch for kit and still packs down to 25 X 12 cm minus the poles, that and my 3 season bag easily fits into the bottom half of my 35l pack.
which MH sleeping bag did you get? has the stuff sack got compression straps?
Poles, tent with pegs inside and psycho compressed Snugpak Softie 6 Kestrel - 5 bag in the drybag.

Last edited:
Yeah sure i dehydrate meat and vegetables and fruit and take mixed raw nuts and a premade bannock mix and a selection of cereal bars, i rehydrate the meat jerky with dried vegetables and pulses like par boiled barley and lentils and stock cubes, this makes a hearty broth which i add wholemeal pasta to or cous cous, the fruit leather i eat with raw nuts, i used to buy all these ingredients but now i make them all except the par boiled broth pulses, i only cook once per day when living wild, breakfast is cereal bars and snacking through the day is the nuts and the fruit leather.

It sounds like it is the same food all the time but the variety i can make with the broths by changing the stock cube, the type of jerky and the type of cous cous or pasta and how much of the par boiled pulses i add really makes a hell of a difference, amazing energy levels gotten from it too, here is a collection of different versions of my broths

thanks for your infos :D
dehydrating things myself is out of option for the moment but i do*nt do much overnight trips lately anyway:puppy_dog ....[ no time for it] --- i hope that will change in the future again. oats have been a staple on my trips in the past[ in fact i did a 7-day trip with only oats, sugar and cocoa powder- it was a *strictly no fires* area and i did not carry a stove; a quoll decided to pinch my jar with cocoa powder but fortunately decided it did not like the taste and i found it behind a bunch of grass...] but oats for a reasonable price are a bit hard to come by in japan... .when firemaking is possible i carry rice-- now i have some new ideas how to make it more varied :D
i also try to add wild food but given the fact that i move[d] between various parts of the world my knowledge is limited ....

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
For the wild food i kinda stick to the basics, shellfish and swimming fish, i'll also grab a rabbit or wood pigeon given half a chance, i often find myself staring hungrily at gaggles of geese but i haven't tried to grab one for a few years since chasing a group with a throwing stick unsuccessfully (it wasn't illegal cos i never caught any :eek:), i only take all the dehydrated stuff when i am out for more than a couple of days and moving about when weight and space are concerns, if it is just a couple of days carryon and all at one location once setup i take a small cooler with steaks and sausage and bacon in and a bag of fresh fruit and veggies and real milk instead of powdered, sadly it is not a practical method when kayaking or camping and trekking about

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I've usually got a couple of snares in my pack but i rarely use them these days, been well over a year since i had my last rabbit and even longer since my last pigeon, i just don't seem to be camping near easy access to either of late, i used to camp in a little woodland that had very active rabbit warrens on the outskirts and every night clouds of pigeons used to return to the woods for the night it was pretty easy pickings.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
no you can snare birds too just different technique and slightly illegal here in UK :eek: i'm sure you could grab pigeons if you are not as big and slow as me

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE