Sony Xperia SP or Nokia Lumia 625 ? ( both 4g ready ) HELP!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Now I hate thinking about phones, but my old number has just died and I need a new ( or secondhand ) one sharpish!
I may get a contract as well ( I know, right! I'm mad me !! I might do anything !! )
Now heres the problem, I know nowt about phones, realy....nowt!
So I have been going some research, but am not realy sure how to compare mid-price smart phones!?

Any cats out there for whom talking phones does not want them to eat their face able to advise a desperate man??

( to make things worse, I had just put 10 quid on me phone just 'afor it died!! )

Best, and happy new year!

Chris.​

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I've had an Xperia S for 2 years now. Faultless so far :). Not sure what the difference with SP is but I'd recommend an Xperia to anyone.

Edit: Only issue now I think of it is battery life. I have to charge it every night but that's the price you pay with all 'smartphones'. For camping I have a Nokia C1 which cost all of £10 and lasts for 2 weeks between charges. It can also take a micro SD card so it doubles as an Mp3 player, if you like that sort of thing.

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I don't know if size is an issue for you, but about three months ago I got an upgrade and chose a Samsung Mega; it's a smartphone with a screen just short of 7", so a phone and a tablet all in one. I'm not a geek by any measure and was a bit apprehensive after ordering such a thing, but I have to say that it's changed my whole experience of phones and computing; it took a matter of a day or so to get used to the size of it but it actually makes no difference really to carrying a normal one, but the using of it is a revelation - great screen and keyboard, good camera, and normal Android user experience so no learning curve.

I couldn't speak too highly of it, and with moderate use I need to charge it about every other day or so.

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I've had smart phones since 2003 (Orange SPV), just remember that they are not bushcraft friendly. Expect 24-36 hrs on standby in a good signal area and significantly less than that in a poor signal area with data etc switched on. I've a Nexus 4 which is a great phone (about the same price as the Moto above) and it's cheap as the 5 is out, but when I schraf it's my Sonim on 2G!

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
I would definitely go with the Sony. I have been fixing phones for a few years now and Nokia seem to have the worst built quality I've seen inside. Sometimes the surface mounted chips and parts fall off the motherboard due to poor soldering. They also issued a crippling update last year which caused every phone with a non branded 3rd party replacement screen to stop working all together. Terrible thing to do to your customers. I have a Sony xperia Z and cannot fault it. Prefer it to iPhone, Samsung galaxy s4 and anything else I've tried.

Chilliphil

Forager
Nov 16, 2013
Hampshire
I also have an Xperia Z and it's the best smartphone I've had. Was a bit concerned going with Sony at first but I'm so pleased I did. Battery isn't great but I bought a battery pack to charge from when I'm out and about if I need to.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I've been looking at the SP recently as its one of the ones with a proper FM radio instead of a poxy internet radio that needs internet connection.
There seems to be fairly good deals on them at the moment but I'm not sure.

One thing I am positive about though, its not going to be an iPhone cos the ones I've seen don't have a proper FM radio and there's no way on earth I'm using itunes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE