Somewhere to practice?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi all

I'm new to buschcraft and looking for some woodland within a couple of hours drive of Birmingham to practice? Maybe rent a small woodland per night or monthly??

I know I probably should ask local farms etc but unfortunately just don't have time to knock door to door. I have searched high and low on tinternet for woodland to lease.....no luck!!

Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated!!

Cheers
Kev

Peteo

Banned
Apr 1, 2012
Wales
Hi all

I'm new to buschcraft and looking for some woodland within a couple of hours drive of Birmingham to practice? Maybe rent a small woodland per night or monthly??

I know I probably should ask local farms etc but unfortunately just don't have time to knock door to door. I have searched high and low on tinternet for woodland to lease.....no luck!!

Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated!!

Cheers
Kev

Just go for a wonder around some woods, try to avoid public land but if you are sensible (no big fires/cutting live trees etc) i cannot see you having a problem mate. I have never had trouble or permission, just leave the site as you find it and be responsible :)

Peteo

Banned
Apr 1, 2012
Wales
What about access? Are you actually trespassing?
I would rather it be legit (lol thats a first) i.e rental or at least permission etc but appreciate the reply bud

I use public footpaths and then turn off into a quieter area, its public land :)
Getting permission to land can be very hard from what i hear, some people try very hard and have no luck at all so i just get out and practice but look after the area. Ive only ever bumped into a handful of people and one had a brew with me and the others gave a passing Hello :)

I'm sure someone will come along knowing the law but thats my 2 pence worth :)

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
i"m not too up on the law but you have to be careful. A public footpath or right of way through private land is just that, you cannot stray from the waymarked path or spend more than time absolutely necessary on the private land.
It is always important to get permission from the land owner, otherwise you are trespassing. Remember, if you upset one landowner, you can upset several and that can shut down areas to all bushcrafters.
Just spend a bit of time finding an area you like to spend time in then contact the owners. Putting a bit of time in now will give you potentially years of fun in the future.

Reactions: Ystranc

Peteo

Banned
Apr 1, 2012
Wales
i"m not too up on the law but you have to be careful. A public footpath or right of way through private land is just that, you cannot stray from the waymarked path or spend more than time absolutely necessary on the private land.
It is always important to get permission from the land owner, otherwise you are trespassing. Remember, if you upset one landowner, you can upset several and that can shut down areas to all bushcrafters.
Just spend a bit of time finding an area you like to spend time in then contact the owners. Putting a bit of time in now will give you potentially years of fun in the future.

Could not agree more! But i have personally checked and the land i used has no owner or no one admits owning.
The land is listed as public and old railway land but contacting the railway they say they do not own either :)

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Could not agree more! But i have personally checked and the land i used has no owner or no one admits owning.
The land is listed as public and old railway land but contacting the railway they say they do not own either :)
Improve and use it and might become yours. Adverse possession law has changed but you might strike lucky.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE