Sometimes you have to laugh...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Been feeling a bit better of late, and thought I'd try to get out just for one night. I decided to go to a pub that allows you to put a tent up, perhaps this was where the trouble started. Another chap decided to invite himself along, great I thought, a bit of company to shoot the breeze over the fire. He arrived first and after sampling a copious amount of what the pub had to offer by way of liquid refreshment, decided to put his tent up.

It was like watching an update on the Keystone Kops franchise - eventually he was collapsed in a heap of fabric, paracord and poles, upturned like a beetle and with his arms and legs waving at the sky. At this point, he flew into a rage, ripped up his tent, bent the poles, threw the whole thing into the river and wandered off with his rucksack, to be seen no more.

I got a brew on and up went my tent in a couple of minutes as ever, just as a family arrived with a couple of kids on mini-bikes without silencers. Half an hour of mayhem and one of them rode into the river along with the remains of matey's tent, and become entangled. His parents somehow held me accountable for this.

Brews and dinner later, I decided to settle down with the dog trying to get into the sleeping bag with me. Midnight was the signal for a group of drunks to start chatting away with one laughing in a raucous 'hey look at me I'm laughing' way. An hour of this and I called out to them that I'd be much obliged if whoever had brought his pet hyena would give it its supper and put it to bed for the night.

Come the morning, the dog is still trying to get into the sleeping bag but broke off to drool on my breakfast.

Oddly enough, it hasn't put me off another go, this time I think alone (Apart from the dog, and I'll take a spare sleeping bag for him), and a bit off the beaten track.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
sounds like you'd have had a better nights camping in a city centre car park

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
sounds like you'd have had a better nights camping in a city centre car park

Ah, but I did get to see the look on the face of Junior Hooligan no. 2 when, like Wile E. Coyote, he realised that he and his machine were of a sudden in mid-air with downwards as his only available direction. Fortunately it was only a 5' drop but into a lovely deep mudbank which he landed in with a very satisfying squelch.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Because with both legs coming disgustingly unravelled from cellulitis, a dud left knee and borked right ankle, it seemed wise to be close to what I had innocently assumed would be civilisation.
Hm, well, I do hope you get better. Sounds fairly rough where you are. I wouldn't want hooligans in my village. Luckily I left my old "lower class" Scottish town behind last year and moved to a nice quiet village.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
eventually he was collapsed in a heap of fabric, paracord and poles, upturned like a beetle and with his arms and legs waving at the sky. At this point, he flew into a rage, ripped up his tent, bent the poles, threw the whole thing into the river and wandered off with his rucksack, to be seen no more.

:lmao: :lmao:

Sounds like a right palaver! ;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sometimes you just have to wonder why we bother :D
Aren't other people both very odd, and rather entertaining though ? :)

Glad you and the dog seem to have managed fine, and I hope your health improves enough for you to get out a bit more too :D

atb,
Toddy

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
I'm waiting until the weather improves, then going out again to a nearby farm, will take a deer rifle with me just in case a roe comes passing by. Hard to beat venison kidneys fried in butter for breakfast, with a lump of crusty brown bread to soak up the juices, and a lake of tea to wash it down.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Ok, I found this all very amusing, and good on you for being able to laugh at it all, but it does bug me that people seem to think that chucking stuff in the river is an ok way to dispose of things.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE