Something for the kids?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Sorry if this has been asked before, but our daughter is really into bushcraft and I'm wondering if anyone knows of a group specifically aimed at kids that meets regularly.

We do courses & go to the Kent meets and love 'em, but it'd be nice for her to be learning stuff alongside people her own age as part of a regular group as well as hanging out with us old crusties!

Ideas anyone?

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Hi Xylaria, yep, we know them but unfortunately the nearest group to us is Ashford which is a fair distance by car from us.

I guess the answers no then.

i would suggest teh Scouts as a start how Bushy depends on the group

however you could look at starting a group i know you have an hour or 2 spare on the 8th afternoon of the 5th week of the month :lmao:

maybe contact the above group see if they would like to startup round you ???

ATB

Duncan

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
We have exactly the same problem. Scout movement does OK (ish) for boys but with girls they can be a bit lame. We live no where near woodcraft folk. I end up teaching them foraging and woodwork myself. I cant teach them other aspects like fishing because my own knowledge is so lacking. :(

Please if you find an organisation that does bushcrafty things for kids preferbly without any religious or politicial hidden agendas could tell everybody else.

I would guess if they where near you would have found them

best i recon would be to set up with guys n gals off here in your area a few parents should give a good skill base if not you can all learn together. Ive always found one of the best ways to learn is to teach.

"BushBaby's - outdoors for kids " :D a Subsiuary of BCUK :lmao:

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Totally agree Xylaria, that's exactly our situation too & why I wasn't too upset to find the local Brownie pack full to bursting if I'm honest about it....

Duncan, I'm beginning to think that may be the only answer. Not that I'm not keen to do it from scratch, but finding a venue, H&S, leader vetting etc... I ran a playscheme years ago and have some idea of the restrictions/requirements for working with kids & they're (necessarily) tough. :(

Guess I was being kinda lazy in hoping to find someone who'd trodden the path before. Still, I love the 'Bushbabies' name! Will have to sit down and think hard about the whole idea.

In the meantime, is there anyone reading this who has any experience & would be willing give pointers or suggestions about structure and safety?

you could contact the lot named above
http://www.woodcraft.org.uk/aboutus/who.php

see if you could set up under them ???

however you would need to see if your happy they do seem a bit heavy in some areas to me (human rights and racium for 6yr olds :eek: ) but thats just a quick look at the website

maybe finds a Survival school / group to sponsor and support you ??
or even a few of the learned of here to guest :D

im probably in the same boat when Holly gets a bit bigger but hopfully knocking round with her old man and his dodgy mates some thing might rub off :eek: :D

ATB

Duncan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE